Safe And Effective Tick Control That's Not Preventic?

Guest Vers

As much as I like the ultra-effectiveness of Preventic collars, Simba has twice had a bad reaction in the six years we've used them. I'll be asking my vet as well, but are there tick repellents that have been safe and effective for your greys other than Preventic?

Thanks!

We have been using Bravecto without any side effects. It's an oral flea and tick preventative given every 3 months (which is nice, because it is a huge pill and Sweep is not a fan of taking it).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I've used both Advantix and Nexgard on my guys (not at the same time... different years). I may try Bravecto this year so I don't have to give medication as frequently.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

As far as I know, the only things that REPEL ticks are Preventic and I believe K9 Advantix.

All of the others kill the ticks, but not until they are actually on your dog.

I'm using Nexgard now. Seems to work well. Frontline Plus stopped working on fleas, so I had to switch. Buck has never had a tick embedded. He is so bald, and so blonde, that I can see them walking on him well before they get a chance to chow down.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We're doing good with the Seresto collar. Not sure how close in formula it is to the Preventic though. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'm leaning toward Bravecto after what I've read off-site about its efficacy, but will review all of these with my vet. There's still some time before the weather warms up here.

I'm still a proponent of the Preventic collars, just not for Simba.

Edited by Vers

• 2 months later...

I've used Bravecto the past year and it's worked greyt...but to ensure I don't have to set continual reminders, I'm thinking of using the Seresto collars. What size does everyone get for their pups? Small or Large? Large just seems like a waste as they're so big for the greys....

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I would use Bravecto if we had a tick problem here. But they are few and I read an article about black seed oil acting as a repellant. It works in this area - 3 ticks last year, on all of my dogs together.

A friend of mine rubs cocnut oil into her greys' coats before going for a walk. It helps great but you have to be fast. The dogs love the oil and start to lick it off each other. ;-)

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

We have used the Preventix collars for 3 years with good results.

No irritation.

Very few ticks on the dogs......we are very rural and in a very high tick zone. We see multiple deer every single day.

I do take them off when the dogs go to school or the old age home.

And yes...it would be nice if they came in colours :)

FYI...the sticky lint rollers do pick up ticks that have not imbedded. I always run one over our hounds after we've been out for a walk.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thats a shame the Preventic doesn't agree with her! We love our Preventic collars. I won't use the other stuff-I'm just scared they would hurt my dogs. You might try the Springtime Garlic for dogs. I think it works pretty good too. I use the granules because the wafers I was afraid they might not want to eat. I also use the Adams spray ons as I think they are are fairly safe-in fact I have used them on myself!