Brushing Teeth

Guest KarenD

We try to brush our Lucy's teeth every day. No problem there. She tolerates this well. We even have started using a battery operated brush and I think she likes it. We are gentle and praise her during the procedure......BUT.....we currently have a foster and he hates anyone getting into his mouth. We started with the finger brush and have moved up to the regular brush but he fights us all the way.

Any other tips?

Also, any advise or direction on home made toothpaste (baking soda, olive oil and parsley) versus commercial dog toothpaste?

Have you tried the battery operated one? One of my current pups hates the regular toothbrush. Turn on the little ultrasonic and stick it in her mouth? Doesn't move, doesn't fight, just peaces out :lol .

Some dogs do better with just a piece of terrycloth wrapped around your finger. And maybe some peanutbutter instead of toothpaste, to start out :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newyorkgrey

My dogs think toothbrushes are treats. The older one used to run from it, then one day she got interested in the texture, so I started using my treat voice. I say, "Want to brush your teeth?" And they get excited. I use the dog toothpaste, and they brush their own teeth. Sort of. Here's a Youtube video of them. The black dog got jealous and sure enough had to have her own brush after this. https://youtu.be/_zEnsjCouqY

We had to use peanut butter for the first couple of weeks with one of our greys to get him to tolerate getting his teeth brushed (first on our fingers, then on the toothbrush). We then did some "testing" on which toothpastes he liked the best (turns out poultry was the big winner) and we let him lick a little off before we'd start. I always had to hold his mouth shut, though, because he tried to chew as I brushed! :hehe

We then did some "testing" on which toothpastes he liked the best (turns out poultry was the big winner)

Poultry is the favorite here. Betty backs away from beef flavor and just tolerates vanilla mint. She comes running for the poultry flavor.

Edited by HeidisMum

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried one of those microfibe ones that goes over your finger - I started with one of those because I think it's easier than a brush - it looks like it takes dirt off (judging by the residue on the cloth after brushing). I ended up moving on to a brush as I didn't feel like it was very easy to clean but I found it easier to use than a brush and tolerated well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KarenD

Update.....Tried most of the suggestions above....Thanks to all.

Looks like Buddie is getting used to the idea. Now we start with our Lucy and treat her afterwards, then he sees that and doesn't want to be left out so he bulldozes her out of the way and wants to join in.

Like most things, takes time.