Slight Sleep Startle?

Guest Poppy87

Guest Poppy87

Hello everyone!

Poppy has been here for 5 days now and is doing wonderfully in every way. No accidents in the house, walking well, learning the stairs easily, doing great with being alone for short periods (we're building it up), sleeping through the night, not bothered by general household noise, playing with toys and all round settling. She is such a gentle dog. I'm just smitten.

I am not working at the moment so have been spending lots and lots of time with Poppy. From the second day she has been here she has actively been seeking affection from me. Resting her head on my lap, following me around, licking me, putting her face in mines, leaning on me and just being very loving and affectionate in general. She has been sleeping in my bedroom with her bed next to mines and this has been fine. However, on day 2 she discovered my bed and has just been loving it ever since. I know it's very early days but on Tuesday night I got into bed while she was lying there. She put her head on my shoulder and fell asleep. I have read about sleep startle and sleep aggression so knew it's not uncommon. She fell into a very deep sleep and when I sat up she startled. There was no aggressive behaviour; no growling, snapping, lunging or grumbling of any kind. She simply startled awake, looked at me, and went back to sleep. I decided that she shouldn't sleep on my bed with me so she went back to her own bed. She tried a couple of times to get up with me but when I said no she gave a big sigh and settled on her bed

When she is on the couch or on her bed on the floor in my room or even on my bed during the day she has shown no signs of startling. We can move around her, sit next to her and pet her on the couch (she actively seeks it out), lie on the bed with her and get up etc and she doesn't show signs of any alarm or anything else. Tuesday evening is the only time it happened.

My question is if you think it is possible for her to sleep in my bed with enough desensitization? I think she would love to and I would also like it very much. She only just turned 2 last month so is very young and didn't race for long at all before breaking her leg. I'm willing to hear all opinions and of course if it is better for her to perhaps never sleep with me then I'm more than happy for her to only have bed privileges during the day.

Thanks!

Sounds like you just have to work up to it. Sleeping on the sofa with no reaction is a good start.

Remember that hounds from the track have always had their own space, so sleeping at night has been a "safe zone" for them. The fact that you were there when she is used to her own space was probably enough to make her jump from a sound sleep.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Seems like a completely normal reaction to me: most people/dogs would startle if they were in a deep sleep resting on someone and then that person moved. I don't see any reason to ban her from the bed or do any "desensitization" with her.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Poppy87

I guess I'm just paranoid after reading so many things about not letting retired greys sleep on the bed so early etc. Maybe I'll invite her up tomorrow night and see how we go. As i said, she's not shown any signs of sleep or space aggression as such. I suppose I'm somewhat worried about continually frightening her awake throughout the night too. It doesn't seem fair on her. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a problem if she wanted to sleep at the foot of the bed or on the other side, but she appears to want to sleep leaning on me.

Thanks for the advice! I feel a bit daft now :hehe

That's not even a sleep startle (except in name only) in my opinion. She was startled, yes, but mostly because you moved and woke her up, just like a person would if whatever they were leaning against sleeping moved. If she had actual sleep aggression you would have no question whatsoever if she had it. There are lots of greyhounds who do NOT sleep startle.

Also, a word of caution: Just because she doesn't have it *now* doesn't mean she won't spring it on you in the future, or if she gets rolled on or her foot caught. You may hear the GSOD, or she may growl, or snap. Don't take it personally, she's just letting you know she doesn't like that in the only way she has.

But, to me, it sounds like she a cute, plug-n-play greyhound who is already very relaxed and settled into your home. Sleep away!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Congratulations, your young Poppy appears to be a wonderfully affectionate darling! :)

I'll offer a little more general canine food for thought as you determine whatever works well in your own situation.

You mentioned you are not working "at the moment". I often find it important to create some independent space for new hounds to encourage their independent confidence level. Meaning, if your hound is practically touching you 24/7 (sleeping on your bed + lying on your sofa) it could be setting her up for a bigger challenge when you eventually have to go back to work, or temporarily leave the house. (Your alone training is great.)

Although Poppy may be a perpetually accepting love bug, she hasn't been living in a family home long enough to feel her comfort level in different situations. It's often much harder to take away furniture privileges vs. waiting several months before inviting dogs up on human furniture. Retired racers are used to undisturbed resting space. That respectful, undisturbed space can be provided with dog beds in the home's most used family room + bedrooms, etc. (as you've provided).

Dogs resting on dog beds benefit dogs and their humans. It provides the dog his/her undisturbed safe space (especially while adjusting to all the workings in a new home); allows humans time to learn their dog's personality as it slowly unfolds; helps create a little healthy independent distance from their humans (e.g. humans sitting 10' away from dog's bed); helps dogs accept other human visitors (who might expect to sit on sofa :)); helps when owners need to depart the house. Also helps dogs settle into their place within the family.

BTW, helps a lot if all adults in the household participate in dog care and feeding.

If or when you decide to allow furniture privileges, I'd suggest teaching and frequently practicing the "off" cue. If any dog begins showing territorial behavior, do not try to physically move the dog. Instead, happily call the dog into another room for a very high value treat, or toss treats on the floor where the dog can see them and will willingly jump off the furniture.

Enjoy your wonderful new girl! :)

I guess I'm just paranoid after reading so many things about not letting retired greys sleep on the bed so early etc. Maybe I'll invite her up tomorrow night and see how we go. As i said, she's not shown any signs of sleep or space aggression as such. I suppose I'm somewhat worried about continually frightening her awake throughout the night too. It doesn't seem fair on her. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a problem if she wanted to sleep at the foot of the bed or on the other side, but she appears to want to sleep leaning on me.

Thanks for the advice! I feel a bit daft now :hehe

No need to feel daft :). She sounds pretty perfect to me. I've always allowed mine to sleep on the bed if they want to right from the start and sometimes we've had the odd growl in the early days, just because they're not used to sleeping with humans, but I just ignore it or speak soothingly to them and they soon get used to it. I'm sure you'll sort it out with her in no time.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I would love to have at least o e of my boys sleeping in my bed with me but they spend their nights in their own beds. During the day they sleep on my bed, jump up and down on it with their stuffies and use it as their chill out lounge.

Poor me - always have to sleep alone (not talking about DH)

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

This might sound odd and i could be wrong buy I have a grey with sleep startle but on our bed it's like he is in a different mode where he doesn't sleep as deeply out expects to be woken up.

His sleep startle while still not gone completely is much better than when he arrived.