[Update] Sa With Trace!

Guest Trace

For those who don't know me, here are some recent threads I made roughly 2-3 weeks ago:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316371-fustration-level-is-maxed-i-need-help-sa/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316276-left-the-dog-bed-abit-to-close-to-her-cratepart-2/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316122-left-the-dog-bed-abit-to-close-to-her-crate/

As you can see by these 3 threads, my 2 year old girl Trace has been suffering from seperation anxiety TO THE MAX.

It's been just over a week now and she finally goes in her cage while I am getting ready for work, and knows the routine and gives out a slight wine when I close the cage, but does not rip apart the cage nor cry the entire time like she was doing before!!

This is a huge step, and I am so glad it is getting better- and just wanted to update you all!

I took HUNDREDS of steps to try and help her, but here are the steps I took that actually made a huge difference:

• THE CAGE- When I first adopted my girl, I wanted her to be as comfortable as possible. In my head I figured "The bigger cage the better, no?" WRONG. I switched out my 48' long metal cage for a 40' Plastic cage (Shes a smaller grey, 60ish lbs) and she fits perfectly fine in there. This also helped because she cant BEND and BREAK the metal bars like she was doing with her 48' cage, because there are no metal bars to break!
  • ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE!- I have a set routine- 9/5 job and come home at 12-1 for lunch to let her out- BUT on WEEKENDS I was not doing this routine, I would sleep in and spend the entire day with my new pup! MISTAKE!!!! When monday rolled around it was like the routine was non-existant. So what I have been doing for the past 3 weeks is EVEN on weekends I wakeup the same time, let her out, and leave to go to the gym/shopping/ANYTHING I can think of. As this goes on I will make the time shorter and shorter, but for now- this routine stays.
  • Both of these made a enormous difference- and added in with a Kong and some Grilled pig ears, and shes set.

Ofcourse she does not LIKE going in the cage at the moment, she actually dreds it and I have to give her a slight push in, BUT I can tell her anxiety is going down. No crying, No Gnawing at the cage to get out, Panting is getting less and less.

I just wanted to let you know, the first month I had her was filled with fustration- and everyone kept telling me it gets better and better and better and I just could not beleive them from what I was witnessing. BUT THEY WERE RIGHT!

I've had her for just over 2 months now and she has overcome a tremendous amount of things- ranging from stairs to walks to now her cage.

If you are fustrated and it is your first time owning a grey, just give it time. It really does get better :balloonparty

Cheers!,

Mike.

And also during the summer in the mornings we will be going for a jog- Can't do that currently due to the stupid snow/freezing weather! I'm sure that'll help loads as well!

Congrats! Is it advised to keep the same leaving routine on the weekend? I wonder if I should be doing that...

I read about your problem- and I would 100%. It can't hurt? Even if its not the FULL time at least make it 50-70% of the time as the work day. I usually wakeup on Saturdays around 8 (work days its 7) and leave around 10 (work days its 8) and I'll go out and do laundry/gym/shopping until about 3 (work days its 4). It doesn't have to be exact on the weekends, but it should definitely be done in some sort of fasion.

Congrats! Is it advised to keep the same leaving routine on the weekend? I wonder if I should be doing that...

It really did the tricks for us! We did that for a few weeks then after that we messed around, but always leaving the same routine before leaving, walk, hair, kong, bye bye, lock door :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest picopaco

It really did the tricks for us! We did that for a few weeks then after that we messed around, but always leaving the same routine before leaving, walk, hair, kong, bye bye, lock door :)

Can you explain more: does this literally mean you leave at the time you would for work; stay away until lunch; and then leave again and return at after work time (assuming this is the work week routine)?

Can you explain more: does this literally mean you leave at the time you would for work; stay away until lunch; and then leave again and return at after work time (assuming this is the work week routine)?

Yes, same thing same order. The amount of time you leave (past like an hour) doesn't really matter I found. As long as you left. And the time needs to be somewhat similar. It was harder to leave at night at first. Anyway I digress!

So for example, during 3-4 weeks each day we would get up at 6h30 (about an hour later than usual), feed dog, get dog out, have breakfast, then my husband would leave, start the car, wait for me around the corner. I would walk the dog, brush my hair, then bye bye dog, lock the door. We went for a coffee, did the grocery shopping, came back 2-3 hours later. The next day, again same thing, going to church, back home. On Monday, same thing, going to work, back home. And so on :)

Then we started messing things up, we left at night! but same thing!, walk dog, husband leaves, brush hair, bye bye dog, lock the door.

Eventually we were able to leave whenever and however we wanted :P

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love