I Will Be Lurking... But Thought I Should Say Hi!

Guest wulfin

Hi!

I will be lurking for quite some time, reading everything, but thought I should say hi instead of just being a creepy stalker type.

My name is Michelle and live in Calgary, AB. I currently have a husband, soon to be 3yo daughter, soon to be 5yo wheaten terrier, and 2 senior cats (aged 16 and 19).

In about 5 years or so, we will be looking to add another 4 legged member in our family. But, I am doing my due diligence and am researching the greyhound as one of the breeds I am considering (the other is a newf... I know, they're very very different breeds and I'm drawn to both for very different reasons).

I wanted to adopt a greyhound when I was single and in a condo, but wouldn't pass the guidelines by the local associations to adopt a racer, so I held off and ended up adopting my kitties. Fast forward to now. We are waiting for about 5 years as we want to have another 2 legged addition to the family next year..and I would prefer not to have a young baby while coping with a new dog. Our current wheatie also has fear-based aggression and would not do well in a multi-dog home. Which makes me feel like I'm already cheating on him.. but I'm one of those people that wants to plan out the next 10 years. ;)

So, I will be lurking and reading all I can to learn more about the breed (I researched it extensively back in the day, but that was over 10 years ago).. and the challenges for adopting a racer since I know there is an adaptation period involved.

Hi Michelle - I lurked for years before I was in a position to adopt a grey, too! May I suggest if you have time, drop by Petsmart Chinook saturday afternoon and meet some greys. SAGA has a meet and greet every week. Also, you could come for a walk with the Calgary Greyhound Walking Club (occasional Sundays) sometime, and chat to owners and meet 20 or so dogs!

I actually stumbled on the Greyhound walking club earlier today and saw that the last one was beginning of January, so I have it in my bookmarks to see if I can make it to a later event once announced. I'm definitely going to make it to one of SAGAs meet and greets, since that's most likely the organization I would go through when the time comes. Chinook is on the opposite end of the city for me, so it definitely takes planning to make it there!

Welcome! Enjoy the lurking, and we welcome your questions as they come to you (be prepared for very "active" discussions, because we don't always agree among ourselves).

Watch for some of the 'events' in the area, since meeting the dogs could help you make your decision (keep this in mind when you plan your family vacations too ... greyhound groups tend to be active all around the world). I don't know any greyhound guardians who wouldn't LOVE to talk with you at length about the joy they find in these dogs (in my old neighborhood, the city snowplow driver had a greyhound, and he'd frequently stop plowing if he saw me out with my dogs) .

And when you finally adopt your new fur-family member, please share pictures (its in the RULEZ).

Welcome! Enjoy the lurking, and we welcome your questions as they come to you (be prepared for very "active" discussions, because we don't always agree among ourselves).

Watch for some of the 'events' in the area, since meeting the dogs could help you make your decision (keep this in mind when you plan your family vacations too ... greyhound groups tend to be active all around the world). I don't know any greyhound guardians who wouldn't LOVE to talk with you at length about the joy they find in these dogs (in my old neighborhood, the city snowplow driver had a greyhound, and he'd frequently stop plowing if he saw me out with my dogs) .

And when you finally adopt your new fur-family member, please share pictures (its in the RULEZ).

I have noticed that all greyhound owners are super happy to talk! Someone in my area has a greyhound and I always overhear them talking up the awesome qualities of adopting a grey to someone who stopped them ;) Is it a thing that grey owners have to be so nice? (Hmm.. and may be something I need to work on..I'm a major introvert..and I know both breeds I'm looking at tend to have people asking questions!).

Welcome! Remember...you are always free to join in conversations or ask questions even if you don't have a greyhound. :)

Thank you! :)

Hello from Edmonton! You should bring the family up to the Edmonton Pet Expo this weekend and come visit the Northern Sky Greyhound Adoption group's booth. You can ask all the questions you want and meet lots of hounds. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks krissy! Unfortunately, Edmonton for this weekend would not be in the cards :( Just not enough time to try to schedule a trip! But since I'm not looking for immediate future, I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

I have noticed that all greyhound owners are super happy to talk! Someone in my area has a greyhound and I always overhear them talking up the awesome qualities of adopting a grey to someone who stopped them ;) Is it a thing that grey owners have to be so nice? (Hmm.. and may be something I need to work on..I'm a major introvert..and I know both breeds I'm looking at tend to have people asking questions!).

Thank you! :)

You will become more outgoing when you're out with a greyhound! Even in our city - which is very dog friendly, and it seems *everyone* has a dog! - we still get stopped by people who want to pet them or ask questions. Other greyhound owners will also stalk and stop you, just for a chance to meet and chat. They are a great way to meet new people and make wonderful friends.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi from another Calgarian! Plus hubby and 7 hounds!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

A friendly hello and welcome from Germany. As mentioned earlier, us greyhound lovers are spread worldwide and we love to chat about our beloved pups.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Thanks krissy! Unfortunately, Edmonton for this weekend would not be in the cards :( Just not enough time to try to schedule a trip! But since I'm not looking for immediate future, I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

Ah, too bad, should be a fun time! They have an annual picnic in September you could plan for. Lots of fun and games!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Well, I went to the meet n greet held by SAGA today and met 4 greys... I was surprised at the difference in coat.. .one of them was very soft, where the others had a much coarser coat. Wasn't expecting that. And one of them wrapped themselves around me when I hit the right scratching spot ... While before I was still somewhat leaning towards the newfs, these hounds have me now leaning towards the greys.. (and tbh, I think the newf may be too much dog for me, even if I don't want to admit that....)

Lots of time to change your mind back and forth between newfs and greys several times (and still end up with a totally different breed). :lol In the meantime, you can get your greyhound fix here. Coats -- yes, some are almost wiry, and some smooth as silk.

It's ok about the talking thing even if you're an introvert, because there's some something structured to chat about -- that wonderful HOUND -- and you don't have to search for small talk.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Lots of time to change your mind back and forth between newfs and greys several times (and still end up with a totally different breed). :lol

So very very true!!! When I started doing my research last year on newfs, I never thought I'd drift away from them... and look where I am today ;) So yeah, a lot can change over the next couple years for sure!!

Today I was snuggling my wheatie and realized that he's going to be 6 soon... ugh..that boy needs more lovins before I get too far ahead of myself as well.