Strange Sore On Old Greyhound

Guest OldManDixon

Guest OldManDixon

I have a male greyhound, Dixon, who will be 12 in April. He's doing really well for his age and is generally very healthy. On Sunday, I noticed a small, crusty spot on his side, about the size of a quarter, that looked like he had glue stuck to his fur; the fur seemed stuck to his skin. There was no wound that I could see, and it didn't bother him. I just figured he rubbed up against something. Over the last few days, it's gotten bigger (about 4" x 3"), and now it's definitely a sore. It's still crusty, his fur is still stuck to his skin, and it's very painful. It's not swollen at all (you can feel his rib cage directly under it), but it's very smelly.

He's got an appointment at the vet tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm worried about him! I've never seen anything like this before, so I thought I'd post a couple pictures and see if anyone has any ideas. The only ideas I have are horrible things like cancer...

IMG_1699_zpscetmqlfc.jpg

IMG_1698_zps8s59ttqr.jpg

Thanks for any help you might be able to share!

Dawn

It could be an abscess that has burst, especially if it smells bad like you said!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest OldManDixon

It could be an abscess that has burst, especially if it smells bad like you said!

Possibly! I just didn't notice anything different on (or under) his skin before this all started. With as much petting as he gets, I'm pretty familiar with anything unusual that pops up on his skin. But maybe it was really tiny and I just missed it. I hope it's something simple like that!

Any of the above are likely... or perhaps he got a small puncture wound that has become infected and is now draining...

But my vote is for abscess....

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I would start applying warm soaks to the area--mostly likely all that area will slough off. The cause could be so many things-abscess, hot spot, ruptured cyst....recent injection?

Regardless the area needs cleaning-applying a warm/wet wash cloth to the affected area will help to start to loosen the crusty discharge.