Muzzle And Perception

Guest picopaco

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

We bring his muzzle to Greyhound events (if they're going to be turned out to run together), but that's about it at this point (we brought it with us everywhere early on). He's good at the vet, but then again...everyone says that we have an oddball/good dog.

I use a muzzle on one of my two greys. She was a very competitive racer until she retired after 4 years. For the first year that I had her, she didn't want anything to do with any dogs. We would go to the dog park and she walked by my side, totally ignoring all of the other dogs. They could sniff her, walk next to her and she just stayed eyes straight ahead showing no interest at all. When I got my 2nd grey, she started trying to play with him a bit and they regularly do a run and chase in the yard.

About 2 months ago at the dog park, she saw a German Shorthaired Pointer running and she took after him. After that, she was constantly looking to see any dog that was moving and off she would go. After 5 or 6 of these races with various dogs - that she always won - she started nipping at her competitors. She didn't break any skin, but the GSBs, her fav competitors, howled when she did that. So I started putting a muzzle on her when we went to the park. It hasn't stopped her racing, but it did stop any nipping of other dogs.

The people who know us at the park have no problem with the muzzle. But those that have never met Grace often ask if she is a vicious dog. I explain the reason for the muzzle and then go on to say that they also have no reason to be fearful because she is extremely timid around people. Her assertive race behavior is a total opposite from everything else - she doesn't want to walk on uncarpeted floors, will only sleep in 2 places in the house, and shakes like she has palsy if she is in any new situation. Grace doesn't mind the muzzle and it lets her race when the opportunity arises.

Whiskey, my other grey, flunked out of racing school - his ADD is totally obvious. And he can't stand a muzzle. I tried it a couple of times and he was miserable. But he rarely chases any dog for more than a couple of seconds - either he notices a person who might scratch his head or catches a wift of some smelly grass and he forgets about whatever he had been doing.

Funnily enough, my hound's bright green plaid winter coat has the opposite effect of the muzzle on perception -- it makes nearly everyone smile at him and assume he's sweet (he is, actually). I should try the muzzle and the coat at the same time to see if they cancel each other out. :-)

Many years ago, with my first greyhound, Sammi, my son begged to let her go trick or treating with us the first Halloween we had her. In my head, I am thinking of all the cats that roam the neighborhood, taking a tally of all the small dogs, and imagining all the candy wrappers on the sidewalk. I told him, "She can go, but she will have to wear her muzzle." So we thought up a costume that would go with her cherry red muzzle.

2 pairs of my son's white socks

Muzzle

My (signed <_< ) Red Wings Jersey, fastened at her tuck so it wouldn't drag and the sleeves rolled up

I carried my street hockey stick.

She was trying out for the Detroit Red Wings!

Everyone loved her costume. Many teens and adults asked where we got her hockey mask from ("umm... internet") One lady, who owned an Akita, was the only one who recognized that it was a muzzle. She came booking out of her front door to ask where I had gotten it and how she could get one.

Quote: "About 2 months ago at the dog park, she saw a German Shorthaired Pointer running and she took after him. After that, she was constantly looking to see any dog that was moving and off she would go. After 5 or 6 of these races with various dogs - that she always won - she started nipping at her competitors. She didn't break any skin, but the GSBs, her fav competitors, howled when she did that. So I started putting a muzzle on her when we went to the park. It hasn't stopped her racing, but it did stop any nipping of other dogs."

A general rule for muzzles is if one dog is muzzled, all dogs in the group should be muzzled. It is not safe for only one dog to be muzzled in a group setting. If a spat breaks out or if a dog gets hurt, the non-muzzled dogs could attack a muzzled Greyhound who would not be able to defend him/herself.

A single muzzled dog is perceived by a dog pack as a "weak link". Weaker links are often ganged upon. Common canine pack instinct is if one dog squeals an entire pack could rush to attack the crying/hurt dog. (I've seen 20 dogs rush across a field to attack one crying dog.)

All breed dog parks can be risky for many reasons. Since retired racers can be highly competitive sighthounds and are a hunting breed, a safer solution is to arrange Greyhound breed only play dates with other muzzled Greyhounds through adoption groups. An alternative is to visit a dog park during off hours when the park is empty of other dogs. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest Wasserbuffel

I've actually been surprised how many people have not balked at the muzzle. I have had Jayne muzzled at a lot of meet and greets, and almost nobody was disinclined to pet her. I often couldn't even begin to explain that the muzzle was because when on leash she can be reactive to the other dogs sniffing her before the people were squatting at her face level petting her.

Of course, Jayne's body language is excessively easy to read when when she wants someone to pet her, and sometimes not even body language as she will roo at people to demand they come pet her, which is why despite needing the muzzle she's an excellent meet and greet dog.

I don't even know where to go on this except to mention that when it says "newbie be gentle," it might be nice to follow the suggestion and word accordingly.

Sometimes indirect subtleties without clear explanations are passed over without notice.

Although I understand adoption groups work differently around the globe, we were thankful these safety issues happened to be clearly discussed by our Greyhounds' various adoption groups on adoption day (to all new adopters). My reply was for the longer retired hounds, but it doesn't hurt for the OP to understand more about canine pack instinct/behavior also.

I (and my room-mate) muzzle when our dogs go out, we do it more as a safety precaution just in case someone decides to get grumpy and snarky. We also muzzle when we have more than one dog in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: "All breed dog parks can be risky for many reasons. Since retired racers can be highly competitive sighthounds and are a hunting breed, a safer solution is to arrange Greyhound breed only play dates with other muzzled Greyhounds through adoption groups. An alternative is to visit a dog park during off hours when the park is empty of other dogs. :)"

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I do understand the general risks of dog parks.

Ours is 7 fenced acres usually populated by no more than 10 dogs watched over by careful owners. The only time I have had a problem is when I broke my own rule of no weekends (when owners with untrained, uncontrolled dogs often come) and my large (90 lb) flunked-racing school unmuzzled grey was attacked by 2 150lb Great Danes. Whiskey had a small tear that needed stitches. The police were called. The Great Dane owner was barred from the park and his dogs were taken by Animal Control. The "regular" dog park participants were totally supportive including the lawyer who offered to sue on my behalf - I declined because I was the one who put my dogs at risk with a Saturday afternoon visit.

We are not able to reserve the city-owned park for greys only nor is another such expansive reservable running area anywhere to my knowledge. And the play dates for greys we have attended usually result in all of the dogs wandering around sniffing and standing next to each other without much "race" behavior.

In the oppressive heat of the summer, I do visit the park each morning at 5:30 am (rather than 5:30 pm) and we have only the company of owls in the trees and a few taunting squirrels. The dogs have a good, cool romp, but they miss racing (the fast one) and rubbing up on all people (the big one). So when the weather is lovely, and their fav racing companions and responsible petting human owners are in evidence, we go to the park M-F afternoons and have a wonderful time.

I do know that others may have very different experiences with their dog parks. I wish that were not true.

Once as I went with my two muzzled greys (I didn't want tomcarry the muzzles) to a nice run around with their friend, a silken windsprite, I met an obedience class doing some outdoor training. These owners stared at me with so much pity born out of arrogance. Look, that woman can't handle her dogs. We are so much better....

When I came back after maybe 30 minutes - this time with the muzzles in one hand and my greyhound's leashes in the other. Colin and Andy on the leashes, of course, walked next to me totally relaxed. The group was still there and the trainer said something about being able to control the dogs when for example going into town and they meet unknown dogs. When we walked by most of the dogs tried to leave their circle and follow us. Their owners had to work real hard to keep them controlled.

I stopped with Andy and Col waiting patiently, shook my head and said... "I guess you have to intensiefy your training."

I was so proud of my sweet boys...

I just couldn't help myself.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).