Kidney Stones And Using Proin For Leaking?

Our girl Jasmine (9 years 3 months) was diagnosed with kidney stones one week ago. She has been eating Royal Canin SO for one week. After 5 days of eating this food she has started to leak urine very frequently. Prior to this she occasionally leaked urine. X-ray showed clusters of stones in the kidney.

In addition, two weeks ago a urinalysis and culture revealed she had Proteus bacteria and blood. She finished 15 days worth of Baytril and the most recent culture and analysis showed no blood or bacteria. We will re-evaluate urine in a couple weeks.

My vet wants to give Jasmine Proin 25 mg twice a day for the leakage. He feels this is an older female having sphincter weakness. He thinks it is unrelated to the kidney stones. He also thinks leaking is not from infection. Any thoughts on taking Proin while having kidney stones??

Jasmine does not seem to realize she is leaking. She never licks herself. Leaking happens when sleeping and awake.

Edited by Beckylpa

I wouldn't give the Proin. I would recommend continuing the antibiotics until the stones are gone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Batmom.

Ask about DES instead but deal with the kidney stones first.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for your input. Since she took Baytril for 15 days and the culture and urinalysis were clear she is no longer on the antibiotic. My vet indicated that the antibiotic would not help or disolve the stones, that our only chance at dissolving the stones would be giving the SO food. The leaking is so frequent. Even with taking her out every 1-2 hours she is damp at times. I'm afraid that'll lead to more infections.

Any thoughts on getting rid of kidney stones?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have no Proin experience (Daisy can't take it because of the side effects and her grade 4 heart murmur) but I would deal with the kidney stones and see if that resolves the incontinense. If it doesn't, Daisy takes Incurin which I believe is basically just doggy estrogen pills (that's how my vet described it) and hasn't had any issues with it, and it's really helped. She's down to half a pill every other day and is still mostly dry all the time!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

A couple years ago my vet put my Diana on Prion for occasional suspected urine leakage while sleeping. His thought was "older females just have this". Not good. I stopped it after a few days. She stopped eating completely (one of the possible side-effects) and just started acting very weird. I decided that we'd either go to another med or used panties on her at night. Turns out, she wasn't "leaking" at all - it was her OCD licking causing wet-spots. Now, as she aged more she "did" have a few night-time accidents, but nothing to put her on meds over.

In your case - I think there is an issue. I'd ask for a different drug though. I just don't trust Prion. And, I'd consider getting bad-girl pants and using pads or liners in them. They will get the moisture away from her and help prevent infection.