Asthma In Greys?

Well, I need your help. Ziggy will be 13 in 3 months. For about the last year, he has been coughing. We took him to the vet because we were worried. They assured us that he has allergies. When he starts coughing, I give him a Benedryl and he is fine in a little bit. Here is my worry, when it is really cold outside, I used to think he was panting but after listening closer, I think he is gasping when we go out for our walks. When he gets inside, he sort of clears his throat, coughs a little bit, and then he is okay. Could this be asthma? Should I take him in to the vet? Should I put a sock over his muzzle to go on walks when it is cold? That is the only time he does it.

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel safe asking all of you! :)

Guest ShelbysMom

Maybe laryngeal paralysis? I don't know much about it, but the symptoms you describe could fit.

Edited by ShelbysMom

Check my thread here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316305-laryngeal-paralysis/

My vet Ok'd the use of Doxepin as recommended by Dr Jen.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png