Prey Drive And Toddlers

Guest picopaco

Guest picopaco

This might be a dumb question but how much does a strong prey drive in a grey indicate potential problems with small kids? I've got nephews and nieces that visit frequently and range in age from 1-3.5. Would a grey look at a one year old as prey?

Mine can differentiate between prey animals (anything smaller including other dogs) and humans. The bigger issue is whether you can trust the kids around your dog. To avoid issues, don't let them run or play together, and keep all interactions controlled and supervised.

And, really, stop overthinking.

Guest picopaco

As rare as rocking horse **** for a Grey to prey drive a human. Snappy maybe but not prey drive.

Peggy is not cat-safe but sees Yorkies and yappy Chi's as real dogs, even the white fluffy dogs are fine.

haha mine definitely does not right now. She reacts on the leash to a small fluffy dog the same as if it was a squirrel lol. Perhaps that will mellow with more exposure.

Edited by picopaco

Even Brees, whose prey drive is out of control, recognizes largish babies as humans (she has never seen a brand new one). She's mostly nervous around toddlers. I would never leave her with an unsupervised rugrat, because I'd be afraid the kid would do something dumb and hurt her, or get bonked in the face by a playful snooter. I don't leave her with unknown adults for the same reason. Use common sense and everything will be fine. :)

And on the small dog thing, it took us bringing a wandering shih-tzu home for several days before Brees realized that not all small fuzzies are food. The first night, she barked incessantly at the closed door it & I were behind (after "tasting" it when I first brought it in). By the time we found its people, she knew it was a dog, and now recognizes small dogs as not food.

Dogs are quite capable of distinguishing between humans and animals. There should be no problems that way even if you have a high prey drive dog. Though one of my greyhounds does like to herd small kids! ;) Though I will say that *some* greyhounds do NOT like small kids - they are too noisy, move around too fast, and are too unpredictable. If your dog exhibits signs of anxiety, give her a safe place to retreat to during visits, and monitor all interactions carefully.

Never leave children unsupervised around dogs. Ever.

Always make sure they know to *never* approach a dog who is laying down (or eating food or a treat). If they want to pet the dog or interact, always call the dog over to where you and the child are.

Never let a child hold the dog's leash by themselves.

Dogs and kids can live together easily as long as everyone knows and follows the rules. Since they will be guests in you house, you'll need to make sure both kids and adults know what's what.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That's absolutely NOT a dumb question. You are new to this. The best thing you can do is ask!

IMHO - prey drive does not equate to issues with children. Greys recognize children as humans, and won't see them as prey.

That said - there can be a real issue with greys with small kids. Many groups won't place a grey in a home with small children. Racing greys were NOT raised around kids. They don't understand exactly what they are. Some greys are very afraid of children. Some treat them like small adults. Many will not tolerate a child's curiosity. If a child hugs a grey around the neck - it might snap. If it pulls it's tail - it might snap. If a child goes to visit a grey on its bed - it might snap. Children love to get close to dogs. New greys are NOT USED TO THAT. Most of them will startle - and either run away or snap. A snap to you or me is no big deal. A snap when your face is the same height as the dog's IS a big deal. That's a bite to the face. And a bite to a child's face means terrible things for your dog.

So -MONITOR. Talk to the kids and talk to the parents. Lay down the ground rules, and separate and supervise. Be overly-cautious. My brother had kids 4 and 6 that were "great" with their dog. I didn't let them in the same room as my grey. They were too rough on dogs, and my Sobe wouldn't have handled it. My DIana - was FINE with them. It depends on the dog. Be CAREFUL until you figure it out.

Actually, many racing greys grow up on farms with children...used to have a great picture I took at a farm of OK of a girl that looked like Cindy Lou Who among a litter of greyhounds in their run. I've personally been to quite a few farms where the children interact with the dogs and the older ones often help with dog feeding and care.

Supervised child/greyhound interaction should be fine. The one point I'd hammer into the kids and strictly enforce is what greysmom said - "let sleeping dogs lie" and no one is to approach a grey that is resting without calling its name and making sure is awake. If you adopt a brood momma she may "bonk" a kid with a closed muzzle (not to hurt it) if the small human gets out of line.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I wouldn't say most will startle and snap, but it's good to be very cautious with a new grey and small children. Second the comment about many raised on the farm with kids. One of the pictures Cole's breeder sent me was her little girl who looked around 8 or 9 holding two puppies from Cole's litter. I've followed other greyhound farms that often have kids and other dog breeds and even cats around the farm. Both my hounds enjoy children and have no problems being hugged by kids :). To be safe I definitely would have the kids away from the dog when she is resting though.

Actually, many racing greys grow up on farms with children...used to have a great picture I took at a farm of OK of a girl that looked like Cindy Lou Who among a litter of greyhounds in their run. I've personally been to quite a few farms where the children interact with the dogs and the older ones often help with dog feeding and care.

Supervised child/greyhound interaction should be fine. The one point I'd hammer into the kids and strictly enforce is what greysmom said - "let sleeping dogs lie" and no one is to approach a grey that is resting without calling its name and making sure is awake. If you adopt a brood momma she may "bonk" a kid with a closed muzzle (not to hurt it) if the small human gets out of line.

Oh - I've never heard that! Huh. Guess I was just spouting the party line. That happens sometimes.

Our greyhound Bonny had ZERO prey drive. Our cats would routinely walk underneath her and she tried to pretend that they didn't exist. However, she was bounced because of snapping at kids. I'm sure the kids were the issue. Bonny always did well with our young nieces who were never left unsupervised and were drilled on how to treat dogs.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

It's not a dumb question--but dogs who are typically a pain with children are herding dogs, not sighthounds! Herding dogs will nip and push and try and herd children. A sighthound isn't really "turned on" by something that can't get up any speed!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I haven't read through all the responses, but when we had our first batch of greyhounds (Rascal, Ruby, Buddy), they were all 'kind of' used to smaller kids; our DD was 5 when we got our first greyhound. However, if one of the smaller kids from next door came into our fenced yard to get a ball or something, I ALWAYS had to remind them not to run! If they ran for their ball, and the dog(s) was/were out, they never failed to chase them. That would startle the kid, who'd scream, and then they were even more 'inviting' to chase. And none of our dogs had enormously high prey drives--Buddy was the only one who ever caught anything.

I don't think they saw the neighbor kids as 'prey', but as something small-and-quick-and-maybe-it-would-be-fun-to-chase.

Kids need to be taught that all dogs are potentially dangerous--our neighbors had a lab/golden mix who was as mellow as the day is long, but the kids weren't used to our dogs, who weren't raised with running-around children.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Pam is this yours?? I love this photo!

a%20KillerPuppies._zps0z58dyiq.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just this morning my four once again spent ten minutes with a neighbourhood toddler. My two girls have never been around children (we don't have kids and have had them from a young age), the boys we don't know. But they are all very gentle and sweet, and Hermon particularly enjoys babies and toddlers. but Brandi happily lay on the ground while the toddler 'washed' her with her hands rubbing her fur every direction, and then sat beside her gently stroking her side.