Is This A Very Cracked Paw?

MattB

Hi,

I'd really appreciate your opinions on this picture of Daisy's paw.

I'd previously posted that we took Daisy to the vet to the vet about a limp. An x-ray revealed arthritis and we were given a month's worth of pain meds which we were told to try for two weeks then stop then start again if necessary. I have done this and I'm honestly not sure if they are making a difference. With and without her tablets there is the occasional limp for a couple of steps.

The vet did say that Daisy's feet were cracked and we could try shoes but we didn't discuss this as a cause of limping (as I was so concerned about osteo we got x-rays done).

However I'm wondering if it's Daisy's paws that are causing her discomfort - when the limping occurs seems to be very specific to particular surfaces, on pavement she's fine but then we pass over some rougher tarmac which sometimes causes the limp, also some gravel. On grass Daisy is her usual self, zoomies, pulling on the lead, pouncing on our other hound.

I've got paw creams and wax and I've bought some shoes for Daisy's front paws but I thought it would be good to post a pic of her paws - to me these look like they're really dry and cracked - is this the case? Are these likely to be painful? I've just got our other hound as a reference point who has much smoother pads.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Hope you can see this image -->

2016-01-15%2009.31.28.jpg?dl=0

They look pretty dry. Dry enough to cause limping??? Maybe. Get going with the moisturizing - twice a day, at least - and see if that makes any difference. Use the boots, too. She'll hate them for a while, but you need to break the cycle of getting the pads wet and then dry, as that contributes to the cracking. Lather her up really well right before bed and then cover her feet with baby socks to enhance the moisturizing effect.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've been using Burt's Bees Hand Salve on my dog's pads and it's really great - better than Bag Balm IMO.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Before we took her to the vet I think she'd limped slightly on grass but currently I haven't seen her limping at all on grass.

Look for corns. Smear and brush white toothpaste on the pads (as did supervet Noel Fitzpatrick on his TV show to find out why a referred Grey 'Lola' was really limping).