Greys W/ Pancreatitis

after reading the recent post about Coca and his pancreatitis http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316467-second-grey-just-diagnosed-with-pancreatitis-on-totw-fish-oil/ i am just curious about how many of your dogs have been diagnosed w/ pancreatitis and what you were feeding them at the time of diagnosis. please included all supplements and age and maybe lineage(i think there is a big genetic correlation).

I think it might be interesting to see if there is a common factor.

FELIX,

8 years, 10 months

lamb and rice kibble by blue seal, 24% protein, 12% fat

cold pressed salmon oil

glucosamine/msm

family background: oswald cobble pot/wigwam wag , craigie whistler/ mohican topaz in lineage(he's an oops puppy from good racing stock)

Our boy Gilgun was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis this past August. He had been having the following symptoms the previous six months:

* Shallow/rapid breathing at rest (this was the only symptom at first)
* On-and-off loose stools
* Licking his lips as if nauseous
* Sensitive to abdominal palpation
An ultrasound of his abdomen in March didn't show any inflammation of his pancreas or thickening of his intestines. Blood tests were all normal, but we didn't run a GI panel at the time. By the end of July he was lethargic and nauseous, and he continued to have on-and-off loose stools. After an episode of explosive watery diarrhea we had a GI panel run, and it showed PLI=753 (normal is <=200) and TLI>50 (normal is 5.7-45.2)
We immediately switched Gilgun to w/d and stopped all fish oil, Tartar Shield rawhides, and biscuits. He was also started on weekly cobalamin injections. Two months later his PLI was down to 194 and TLI was 37.6. His cobalamin (286) and folate (5.4) were still low, so the vet added folic acid supplements and we continued the cobalamin injections.
The latest GI panel was a month ago. At the time PLI=34 (yay!), TLI=17.9 (good), folate=10.7 (good), and cobalamin=325 (getting better). We decided to continue with the cobalimin injections to be on the safe side. We also added a daily probiotic (Proviable). For food he's currently getting Honest Kitchen Verve, which is relatively low in fat (9.22% on a dry matter basis). His bowel movements are greatly improved, he doesn't seem nauseous, and his breathing is back to normal!
GILGUN (at time of diagnosis)
4 years 2 months
3 pumps of Grizzly Salmon Oil per day (suggested amount for his weight)
3.5 cups of IAMS ProActive kibble per day
Various biscuits (IAMS ProActive Health, Nutro Ultra)
~1 Tartar Shield rawhide chew a week

We have had one or two incidents of acute pancreatitis over the years. We couldn't correlate them with anything fed. We reduced fat content (wasn't high to begin with) and fed bland food for a week or two and then gradually returned to the regular diet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not a greyhound, but my old dog had pancreatitis. I think she was eating Nutro at the time (moderate to low protein and fat). No supplements. She had flare-ups until we eventually switched her to a homemade diet which ironically had a much higher meat content (high protein, "lowish" fat, low carb).

She was 2 years old, very lean, and did around 6-10 miles of running each day. No idea why she got it, but I don't believe there was a correlation with high fat or protein.

Edited by RedHead

• 6 months later...
Guest pdxkara

Red 7 years 7 months, diagnosed with mild pancreatitis. It's been a little over a week, still on metronidazole for a few more days, plus omeprazole, just ran out of nausea meds. He was eating half Raw and half kibble at the time he got sick. Just wonder how long other pups took to recover completely. I'm a bit paranoid because I lost a senior grey years ago to severe pancreatitis. The vet seems to think he'll recover, I'm just a worried mamma. He hasn't had V/D in 6 days, but he's still a bit lethargic, and has soft stool. My vet wants his stool to get harder before transitioning back to kibble.

knock on wood, felix has been doing well on the low fat diet. no fish oil, kibbles that are 8% or less in fat and supplements of carbs either white rice, pasta or yams. he's eating 3 or 4xs a day, it's supposed to be better for their system, less taxing on the pancreas. currently we are feeding a mixture of NUTRO LOW FAT LAMB AND RICE and a chicken based kibble for over weight dogs by BLUE SEAL. i do throw in the occasional can of low fat ID diet by hills, but that stuff is $$$$ and i personally gag from the smell. but it's loaded w/ calories and we generally use it when we are not home and his eating get picky. a plate of that awful canned stuff and he's a happy camper, yet he refuses to eat it when mixed into the kibble. from what my vet(new) said greyhounds are one of the top breeds affected by pancreatitis.

i looked into the solid gold low fat fish kibble, if i robbed a bank i could afford it!

Edited by cleptogrey

YAHOO!!!! brought felix into the vet thinking that he might be having a bout of pancreatitis and his levels were lperfectly norma!!!! :bounce2:bounce2

it seems as if the diet of rice/yams/blue seal weight loss/nutro lamb and rice weight loss is doing the trick. the vet does not want me to resume his old diet, she stated that pancreatitis is just way to common in greyhounds, he's doing well stick with it.

the results from the stool sample are not back yet, but flagyl is off to the rescue. we shall see what he may have picked up along the way.