Sore Toe And Constipation

Guest neddynoddynoo

Guest neddynoddynoo

Hello! This is my first post here after lurking a while. I have found Greytalk such a helpful resource so far! Hoping for some reassurance or advice.

We adopted Noddy about 3 months ago. He somehow hurt his back foot 2 days ago while doing zoomies.

As he was hopping around and not putting any weight on it we took him to the Vet yesterday who identified that he had hurt the tip joint of one of his toes.

The vet bandaged it up to stop him hurting it further and we have to take him back in 2 days when she said they would Xray it to see if he had dislocated/fractured anything. He is still hopping and not putting any weight on it. The Vet gave us some NSAID tablets to help with the pain.

I am just getting a bit worried as he hasn't had a proper bowel movement in almost 2 days since he hurt his foot. He is not keen to walk or even go out into the garden. If I managed to coax him out he might to a little pee but just wants to go back inside no matter how long we stand there. This is very abnormal for him!

Is it normal to go a bit less often with reduced activity? He is still eating and drinking normally.

Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage him to go to the toilet when he is not very keen to walk?

Thanks for your help!

What NSAID? I'd be concerned about stomach problems from the medication first. I would stop the NSAID immediately until you can talk to the vet tomorrow and if possible have his foot xrayed so you know what's going on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest neddynoddynoo

Thanks for your advice.

The Vet prescribed "Carprieve" (Carprofen) but he's just taken it yesterday so far but I will discontinue it and see how he goes.

I took off his bandage to have a look and everything looks Ok but he still doesn't seem keen to go anywhere :(

I'll give the Vet a call Monday morning to check what they recommend. Thanks for the help.

I'm surprised the vet didn't x-ray it right away! Poor boy!

Is he drinking the same amount as usual? If not, you could try feeding him canned food to make sure he's getting enough water. Also, I don't know about Noddy, but our boy needs to walk a bit to have a bowel movement. If Noddy isn't comfortable walking, that could be part of the problem, too. Does he like oranges or pears? Those might help soften his stool if the canned food doesn't help.

Hope Noddy's x-rays go well tomorrow!

Metamucil will help the constipation.

Nixon sometimes gets constipated if there is too much ground bone in their food.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg