Murray 7.15.03-1.8.16

45MPHK9

18529467624_4346cc3bc8_z_d.jpg

I keep coming back to this photograph I took of Murray in June. I was off for the summer. Lazy summer days at home with the hounds were ahead. It was warm, and he was in fine form. Playful, happy, handsome, healthy, and at peace, Murray didn't seem like an almost twelve year old hound. That day, I didn't know that a brain tumor was growing inside Murray. Had I known, I would have taken more photographs, given him more treats, extended every game of bitey face he played with us, and really savored the moments when he jumped up into bed with me on those long mornings when I didn't have to rush off to work so early. Once the brain tumor took over, there was no more bitey face, no desire for treats, no jumping into bed for snuggles. And in all the photos I have from July on? Well, you can see the sad, far away look in Murray's eyes in most of this photographs. These pictures will always be a reminder of how things changed and of how hard we tried to get back to the way things were in June. Some broken things, however, cannot be fixed no matter how hard you try. We tried very hard to fix Murray for six months.

8754682612_9babb3d792_z_d.jpg

14212662342_0bed077369_z_d.jpg

Murray was my first greyhound. We wanted a dog and Burke insisted that we go walk some greyhounds at NGAP. I told him no way. Those dogs are too big. Definitely not for me. We're just going to walk them, he said. They'll enjoy the time out of their cages. Fine, I said. Back in 2008, NGAP was in their old facility which is to say they housed their dogs in trailers in an area of Northeast Philly near the prison. We were taken into one of these trailers where two layers of crates lined the walls. We walked along the center aisle and looked at the dogs. I was immediately drawn to Murray. Like a moth to a flame, he was the only dog I saw among those cages. He looked sad. He didn't bark like the other dogs. He was stunningly beautiful. I knew that second that this was my dog. He was going home with me. The kennel attendants let us walk him. We strolled though the litter and glass-strewn streets of Philadelphia with this regal looking creature. He was perfect on the leash. I wanted to put him in the car and take him home that instant. We took him back to the trailer and walked a few other dogs, but they were all wrong. You just know when you know. I was head over heels in love with him right from the start.

21933790410_49c78689a2_z_d.jpg

He was called Mal in the kennel. Mal was short for Maldives, his racing name, a name given to him by Seastrom Kennels in Abilene, Kansas where he was born. He raced at The Woodlands under this name. When I asked the kennel attendants why a five year old dog was up for adoption they looked at each other and shook their heads. One of them said, "You don't want this dog." "No, I really do. What is wrong with him?" They told us that he had been returned for biting people in the houses where he had lived. He had lost two homes because he bit people. I didn't care. He was going home with me. And he did. We ditched that awful name and called him Murray. A new name, a new start. We could fix him.

8234176659_59f45ac397_z_d.jpg

14089177650_657126166e_z_d.jpg

And then Murray bit me over the eye one night. Though I had been warned by the folks at NGAP about his sleep aggression tendencies, I did what I was told not to do. I rubbed him on his bed as he slept. He stuck with incredible speed. I was devastated and afraid of my own dog. Burke thought that we, too, should return Murray. I insisted that we try to fix the problem. At the time, I wasn't a member of Greytalk, so I needed to seek the help of fellow dog owners I knew. A friend recommended a dog trainer and not a moment too soon. While standing outside talking to a neighbor, Murray lunged and bit the neighbor's dog. Murray had issues. He also had clueless owners who knew nothing about how to fix him. He was going to be a project.

10208169173_95ba0f014f_z_d.jpg6602663559_861081ba84_z_d.jpg

I'll spare you all the details about the training we did, but know that Murray was a dog who required constant management. We managed his sleeping spots, we managed his interactions with other dogs, we managed how long we took him out in public to events or whether he went to a place at all. If you saw us out there at an event in the last eight years, this information about Murray might surprise you. He was always so well-behaved out in public. This was the result of constant management and risk assessment. Murray had fear aggression, sleep aggression, was storm phobic, and had many insecurities around other dogs. He was afraid of the dark. He hated the car. He didn't like big male greyhounds who stood over him. He was a dream in the house, though. He was calm, playful, and loving. Dog training and constant management really worked for Murray. We became like him, ever vigilant. Some days it was exhausting to be his people, but we loved him so much. Time, love, and patience helped ease so many of his fears and anxieties. I always knew we were the home he was meant to be in. We could fix him.

16405063027_16a7262daf_z_d.jpg

Six months after Murray came home, we adopted Bee Wiseman. He loved Bee Wiseman. He gained so much confidence from her. She was adopted on the condition that she never be left alone in the house. She had terrible separation anxiety that cost her one of her homes. Like Murray, she was a two time bounce. She was fearful inside the house. Murray was fearful outside the house. They helped each other live in peace. They had three wonderful years together. Murray and Bee Wiseman were a match made in heaven. We worried about him so much after she died. He was so sad without her here. We could fix this, though.

5353586656_5b5fc8d684_z_d.jpg

Holly came home one month to the day that Bee died. Murray and Holly have been wonderful together. They were at peace with each other from the minute she arrived. They shared all things and got along beautifully. Holly stood watch over Murray in the last week of his life as he got sicker and sicker. She knew what we didn't. This past week, as we slept, she stayed up on the sofa watching over our sick boy.

8106511887_cbca3885bb_z_d.jpg

Murray was the reason I bought a camera. At our first Dewey Beach in 2008, I didn't even own a camera. A kind person from Connecticut took some photos of him on the beach and then mailed them to me. I was so clueless. I bought a small Canon Powershot point and shoot camera after that event. I quickly outgrew that camera, though, and made the leap to a dSLR Nikon. Two years later, I upgraded my camera again. This was all in an attempt to take beautiful pictures of my Murray. He was the most handsome dog I had ever seen. His fur was shiny brown and so white. He didn't have scars (except for that perfect character scar on his nose) or chunks missing out of his skin the way Holly and Bee (and so many other greyhounds) did. He had a fuzzy white belly. He never had bald thighs. Food never stained his muzzle. He kept himself clean. He hated the camera at first, but eventually learned to stand still for momma. I took so many pictures of him. He was stunningly handsome.

19095693274_6aa545a85c_z_d.jpg

One of the greatest joys of my life was seeing Murray on the cover of the Celebrating Greyhounds calendar. I was checking Facebook for the cover photo on a drive with my mom from Palm Springs to Las Vegas. When the picture was posted, I let put a loud gasp in the car. This dog who was twice thrown away by his families was on the calendar's cover. I was thrilled for him. It seems silly to say that now, but some of you might understand.

8276927831_d34a1d31fd_z_d.jpg

Murray loved us so much. That was always clear. In moments of stress, he literally looked to us for guidance, reassurance. He would do anything for us. He hated the car, but was always desperate to jump in because we were going somewhere together. That is all he ever really wanted, to be with us. Resting on beaches, up at my father's lake house, drinking wine in vineyards, or taking walks in the woods. He wanted to go wherever we were. We went to so many places with him in the eight years he was ours. He hated the journey but loved the destinations. He loved his momma more than anything. He was my heart dog.

5072764988_aa616ea872_z_d.jpg5080245996_3bfc6a2c59_z_d.jpg

In the end, we applied the same strategy to Murray's brain tumor that we applied every other issue he had. We could fix this. When his pituitary macroadenoma was diagnosed in September, we quickly opted for cyber knife radiation. He was perfectly healthy, we were assured. The treatment could possible extend his life by eighteen months! Could you imagine being given that gift of time with a brain tumor diagnosis? We were the luckiest people in the world, I thought, as the radiation oncologist spoke. Murray handled the treatments so well and returned to almost to normal very quickly. He was fixed. Thanks be to God, I thought.

14714724983_93fd6e1c69_z_d.jpg13674842685_b67f5460e3_z_d.jpg

Some broken things can't be fixed no matter how hard you try, though. Last week, he was throwing up his food. This week, signs of radiation injury appeared. We had been warned about these things, but I thought that four months after treatment, we'd crossed into a safe place. Murray was in and out of the hospital this past week. We tried to fix things, but by Thursday night, we had lost control of the problems that came from medications and from his increasingly tired body. I took him for one last car ride on Friday morning and with the help of the most compassionate veterinarian, I said goodbye to my sweet boy. He was so tired, and so were we. We had been managing his illness for six months in an effort to fix the problem. We were all so tired.

23272524421_6cdca26097_z_d.jpg

Murray, please know that mom and dad are so sad without you. Our little house feels way too big without you here. Daddy keeps reaching down beside his armchair to stroke your fur the way he has for the last eight years, but you're not there. We are sorry that we didn't get our eighteen months, but we did have four more months together, a gift for all of us. We are heartbroken today, and will be for many days to come. We loved you, Murray. Words can't adequately express how much we loved you. You were our best boy for so long. Wait for us in heaven. We will see you and Bee Wiseman there one day. You were, and always will be, our son and our sun.

24247963616_bd3cb147dc_z_d.jpg

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. Your lovely and loving tribute really touched me.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

What a truly beautiful tribute to a wonderful hound. I'm so sorry you and Burke had to say goodbye to your boy Murray. You were so lucky to have each other. So many wonderful hounds in our circle lost this year. I hope they're all hanging out together over the bridge - with plenty of space between them, of course.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

:grouphug:brokenheart What a beautiful tribute to your best boy. You were all so lucky to have each other. Rest well, Murray, and enjoy your reunion with Bee Wiseman.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry you've had to say goodbye to Murray.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Tricia, Burke and Holly,

I am so sorry to read this. I knew he still wasn't quite himself when he turned down sardines on the beach at Dewey, but just chalked it up to all he had been through. (It's a Dewey tradition for me to bring Murray some stinky fish to eat while we sat on the beach.) Murray loved the beach, and I always knew when I saw him there that he was in his favorite place in the world. Without you, he would have never been on that beach all of those times, enjoying a nap in the sun

As someone who also has a sleep startled, space aggressive boy, I know what you mean about being on guard and managing every minute of every day. Still, I wouldn't change a day of our time together. Some people won't understand that, especially after being bitten once or twice. Just know that I am right there with you, and am already missing my beach buddy, Murray. I am so sorry for your loss.

Run free, Murray. I'm sure that Chef Seamie will put some stinky fish on the bridge buffet for you. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh Tricia, my heart sunk when I saw Murray's name. He was such a sweet, handsome boy and we always enjoyed seeing him at Dewey and Grapehounds, and always enjoyed your beautiful photos of him, he was so photogenic.

I hope that Breeze greeted him at the Bridge along with Bee Wiseman. Our hearts are breaking for you and we understand your pain. Run Free Murray! :gh_run2

Kathy, Jim, Beka and Ivy

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Tricia & Burke - I'm so very sorry that Murray had to leave you... and I'm so glad I got to hang out with you all at Dewey this year.

Many hugs from me

and Murray will always be much loved here on GreyTalk...

Run & find Bee Wiseman, Murray...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Dear Tricia and Burke,

We are so sad and sorry to read of your loss. I still have photos of Murray and Paul sharing a blanket at GIG. I would have never known or thought that he wouldn't share his blanket. You were the best parents he could have had. G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest goofydog

How my heart skipped a beat when I saw Murray's name. Murray had the most wonderful and adventure filled life with you and Burke. Sending cyber hugs to both of you. God Bless and Godspeed sweet Murray.

Murray loved you with all of his heart because you loved him with all of yours and when you adopted him you gave him the opportunity to *thrive* not fail. It makes perfect sense that he graced the cover of the CG calendar, what a testament to your love for each other. Words are so inadequate right now Tricia but please know that I am keeping you and Burke and Holly in my thoughts and prayers as you grieve and remember your best boy. :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Murray. Send your folks a sign that you're settled, ok handsome?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Scouts_mom

I am so sorry to read that Murray has left us. Reading your tribute, it is clear that he found with you the home he was meant to have and he was deeply loved. I have enjoyed reading of his and Bee's adventures and seeing their pictures over the years. I will miss him and your house must feel so empty. But his mind is clear again and he is with Bee, sleeping in the sun and chasing the wind.

It's so hard to know what to say in the face of such grief as words seem so inadequate. Murray was so deeply loved and respected for who he was, and you did your very best for him, as I'm sure he knew. Sometimes the kindest and most loving thing you can do for them is set them free from their bodies, but I know how hard it is and how much it hurts. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Rest well, sweet Murray. You'll be so terribly missed by so many of us.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Tricia & Burke,

I can't begin to say how heartrbeaking this is.

You did every single thing right for your boy, but sometimes life has other plans.

I am so sorry that Murray had to leave you for now..

Please take care of yourselves in this time as well

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

A beautiful tribute to a very handsome boy! I am truly sorry for your loss, your 1st Greyhound is like no other, it is a heartbreak like no other, sending you peace, hugs and my most sincere sympathy .I have always loved seeing your photos of handsome Murray and pretty Holly, hold those memories dear and thank you for submitting to Celebrating Greyhounds, loved seeing his pictures on the calendar too.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten