Skin Infection?

So I have a bit of a mystery for everyone. Rainy smells like old cat pee! It's all over her skin. 100% coming from her. She's almost 12 yrs old.

I freaked out sniffed every square inch of this house and rushed to the vet. Kidneys and urine tested perfect. I was told we couldn't do a skin scraping without a lesion? This wasn't our normal vet so I'm highly skeptical about that response!

I was told it may be bacterial. To give her a vinegar bath every day for a week. If it was yeast the vinegar would help too.

Her ears are completely normal. No gunk! Her skin is a little red.

As soon as we stop the vinegar, within a couple days the vinegar smell goes away and the cat pee smell comes back!

I need a solution! I can remove the smell with a bath, but it comes back within 24 hours.

Do I continue with the vinegar for another week? Switch to apple cider vinegar? Some other product? Magical soap? I even tried a dry rub of baking soda while we were waiting for bloodwork results. Worked for 2 days!

Of course this is completely a human problem. Rainy insists she's fine! No itchiness or tenderness.

------

Jessica

There can be medical issues that can lead to odd smells as well, can you check in with your normal vet about what else could be causing this?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

You could try mashed tomatoes. If the source of the smell is on your girl, washing her with the tomatoes should help.

But I would ask another vet and let him check her thoroughly. Something like diabetes changes the odour of the body. Perhaps other illnesses do, too? But cat pee? I never have heard anything like that.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

There can be medical issues that can lead to odd smells as well, can you check in with your normal vet about what else could be causing this?

Any suggestions on medical reasons we could chase out? So far the only symptom is the smell.

You could try mashed tomatoes. If the source of the smell is on your girl, washing her with the tomatoes should help.

But I would ask another vet and let him check her thoroughly. Something like diabetes changes the odour of the body. Perhaps other illnesses do, too? But cat pee? I never have heard anything like that.

That's a good idea! I'll try tomatoes next! She's hasn't had any excessive drinking or peeing, so I'm not sure about diabetes. I bet I could check her with a human blood meter? I'll call and ask the vet about that! Thanks

------

Jessica

time for a dermatoligist and see if something is growing on her skin. if it is a bacteria then why not an antibiotic?

i know with some dogs over bathing can result in a weird fishy smell. do you brush and stimulate the oil in her coat and skin? this smells like a mystery that most likely a profession can solve with some good tools. good luck- i feel for you, my eyes are tearing at the thought. weird, but could it be her food ??

Is there anything stuck up her nose? In her ears?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My goodness. Well firstly, it appears you have cats so.....Kasey would smell like cat pee because he would often just drag his body along the grass and pick up the smell. Perhaps they sprayed somewhere maybe and she's rubbing up against it?

Any fungus in her toes? I second a tomato like bath, similar to deskunking, but really you'd have to treat the problem, especially if it's recurring. I agree also some antibiotic if she is smelling funky! Anything you've added to her diet recently? I know when I was giving Tumeric to Ryder he absolute reeked! It just came right out of his pores. Any additives or supplements you've been giving her?

I only ever did skin scraping on Kasey's ears when he was beginning his allergy downturn as they thought it could apparently be scabies, so I understand why if there are no lesions present why they might not do that.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My goodness. Well firstly, it appears you have cats so.....Kasey would smell like cat pee because he would often just drag his body along the grass and pick up the smell. Perhaps they sprayed somewhere maybe and she's rubbing up against it?

Any fungus in her toes? I second a tomato like bath, similar to deskunking, but really you'd have to treat the problem, especially if it's recurring. I agree also some antibiotic if she is smelling funky! Anything you've added to her diet recently? I know when I was giving Tumeric to Ryder he absolute reeked! It just came right out of his pores. Any additives or supplements you've been giving her?

I only ever did skin scraping on Kasey's ears when he was beginning his allergy downturn as they thought it could apparently be scabies, so I understand why if there are no lesions present why they might not do that.

You are brilliant!!!! I started turmeric about 3 weeks ago but only gave it for a few days. She doesn't seem to like the taste. Do you remember how long to detox? I didn't even think of that as a possible issue!

No way she's rubbing or rolling in cat pee. She is wearing jammies all the time because it's cold. Cat isn't peeing anywhere except the litter box. Dogs cannot get to litter box. No fungus or anything on toes or pads. She just has regular skin, fur, and some old lady warts/bumps.

She gets brushed daily. Probably now has dry skin from the vinegar! I have a special soap that will help her recover though. We use the K9 Slick n Shine soap. Will add in some really good deep conditioner.

Is there anything stuck up her nose? In her ears?

Nothing that she minds or that I can find. I never thought about the nose possibility though!

------

Jessica

I'm trying to remember if I added some turmeric to their veggie goo mixture. I think I might have. This batch has lasted 3 weeks. So she's been getting a daily dose. That stopped today! I chucked the stuff.

Time will tell... It never occurred to me that could be the culprit.

I'm hoping this is it. Since she is giving us nothing else to really troubleshoot. Bouncing around like a normally stinky pup.

------

Jessica

Good stuff. :) Provided you don't care about the smell, you might want to get your monies worth with whatever you bought. Now you know that Tumeric is the cause, you can finish off whatever you got and stop when it runs out naturally.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015