Food Allergy

Guest echandler

Guest echandler

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on good, hypoallergenic food to feed a greyhound with possible food allergy? One of my girls has been dealing with an allergy for over 6 months now. It started off in early May 2015 so we initially thought it was pollen related. She developed sores around tear duct area and the side of her mouth and would scratch herself. We placed her on Benadryl and Steroids and it did clear up, however she had a relapse in the late summer and we needed to restart the treatment. There were no issues in the fall and recently (late October 2015) she developed the same symptoms again. I called her dermatologist to set up allergy testing but would like to try some solutions in the mean time as well.

Currently, we feed her Acana, butternut squash and pork. I do not give her any chicken or treats for fear of worsening the symptoms. I read somewhere that they recommend a kangaroo based food for suspected food allergies but it is rather expensive. I would certainly give t a try if it was worth a go - does anyone have any experiences with food allegries and what type of food proved beneficial?

Thank you

My Kasey was allergic to many things, primarily but not limited to chicken, and his sores were all located on his head and neck. After many food trials and blood test, we determined Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish worked best for him. It's an LTD diet, but you are sort of shooting at a wide target area with a tiny pellet gun by not identifying the exact ingredient she is triggering on. She might be allergic to fish as well for all you know, but you could give it a whirl.

I would not recommend going "exotic" like Kangaroo unless you have exhausted all of your other options. If you are really concerned, get her on a z/d Science Diet that eliminates nearly everything, and go from there.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest xengab

Just like to point out that kangaroo is widely used in Australia as dog food with much success. My sisters non grey but allergic to everything dog, eats kanagroo with sweet potato just fine. I wish it was cheaper here and easier to get as I'd have just use it right away for my boy.

Guest echandler

Thank you for your suggestions. I am having her allergy tested in a couple of weeks. Feeling a little scared about the procedure as she would be exposed to 46 allergens but we do need to know how to help her.

I will look up the diet options you suggested as well

Guest echandler

Thank you, I will check it out. We are in Canada, hopefully the webshop delivers here too. Do you do anything special for their teeth? My girls suffer from pretty bad breath. I do brush but have cut down on additives (tartar remover, etc) for fear of allergies...