Fustration Level Is Maxed. I Need Help. Sa

Guest Trace

Can you take your girl to work with you?

(If you work inside a building without excessive noise/chemical fumes.)

We have a Greyhound with extreme genetic separation and isolation anxiety. (Now a senior.)

Find veterinarian savvy in behavioral medications.

It's time to begin and wait for long acting stronger medication to work.

Prozac worked well to calm our hound.

Short acting medications can be different for each hound. (Xanax increased anxiety for our girl.)

(Our vet wasn't comfortable prescribing Trazadone due to lack of veterinary drug studies.)

Another Greyhound visitor is an ideal test.

Secondary is a friend's similar size dog.

Your girl might need to be with a human.

Please contact Greyhound groups in your region for support.

Groups may know Greyhound adopters closer to you who would be happy to help with physical care. NY State Greyhound groups listed here: http://www.adopt-a-g....cfm?usState=ny

In case you missed this in your previous thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316276-left-the-dog-bed-abit-to-close-to-her-cratepart-2/?p=5894799

Agree with Neylasmom.

NEVER do this!! Product HAZARDOUS: Category 4 Acute Inhalation Toxicity!!

Highly toxic to organs (skin, etc.)

Cancer causing carcinogen.

Material Safety Data Sheet: http://www.dow.com/webapps/msds/ShowPDF.aspx?id=090003e8806249a4

I believe that Chad and I were both referring to foam weatherstripping which is sticky on one side and not foam in a can referenced in the above response. The foam weatherstripping has a bit more padding than moleskin that some use. Hope that clears up any confusion.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HECu2P5IL._SY450_.jpg

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When you get to the point of doing some alone training (with or without meds), one of the things I have found helpful is to leave many many more times than one might think -- 5 or 10 times in a half hour, maybe even more. If the dog freaks out the instant I walk out the door, then that's all I do -- walk out the door, close the door behind me, count to 3, walk back in. Repeat repeat repeat for 20-30 minutes at a time, a couple times a day. Most dogs get bored with this in a few days ("Dear god, weirdo person is walking in and out the door again, I believe I'll have a nap"). Once the dog has little reaction to this routine, I'll up the ante a little. I'll leave, lock the door, and walk down the hall(apartment) / driveway(house); come back, come back in, maybe sit down with a magazine for 3 minutes ... and repeat for 20-30 minutes, a couple times a day ...... Yes, you work and will have to leave for longer, but if you do these exercises when you can -- a session in the evening and maybe one in the morning, a couple on weekends -- they won't be useless.

Best luck to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom gives great advice. I had a non-grey with pretty severe S.A. just touching my car keys would start the sa frenzy.

So, I touched my keys so many time, picked them up , carried them etc. I was finding I was leaving them all over the house (in the fridge, bathroom, on the washing machine) but, it worked. Eventually, I could touch the keys without so much as an ear raise. Then onto picking up keys and going outside. Incrementally added a little more to the equation. A couple times we backslid, so I went back a step as well until the anxiety disappeared. It took about 2 months to get to a full 8 hour day without worry.

Good luck, SA is a toughie.

OK I'm done. All you close minded flamers have at it.

Not from me. We had wonderful results with an animal communicator.

DAP diffusers AND collar used together work far better than either alone.

Totally agree. The only time we had to use them was if we travelled and left the dogs in the motel. Nary a peep. Passed out every time we got back to the room. Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

We have had wonderful success with communicators as well. I became so interested in the process and have read many books and been to lectures to learn more. It is a gift, and, I don't have it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We have had wonderful success with communicators as well. I became so interested in the process and have read many books and been to lectures to learn more. It is a gift, and, I don't have it.

:nod

Used one with horses and dogs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg