New Grey Pooping In Crate

Guest SoleSky

Guest SoleSky

Hello,

I Recently adopted a greyhound named Suki and she's been great so far in the house but when I put her in her crate she goes to the bathroom in it. Weve also had our fair share of problems getting her to go to the bathroom outside, although she's starting to see some improvement.

My biggest problem is she's been pooping in her crate. I give her a Kong in the morning and she loves it but then I come home to a poopy crate which she covers with her blankets. I just want her to be comfortable in the crate and feel bad that she has to be stuck in there with her poopy. This morning I let her out and she peed and pooped twice and then I out her in her crate and came back four hours later and there was poop :(. Any suggestions?

Guest SoleSky

I tried leaving her out today and my roommate said she seemed really anxious when I was gone. She said she was pacing and whining, which I know is what she does in the crate. So I'm sure if I left her out during my four hour day with no one here she would likely do the same thing and since I'm renting I don't want anything to be damaged.

I would confine her to the kitchen but the hot water heater and washer drier are in there and I would feel uncomfortable leaving her in there.

That leaves the dining room, which has wood floors so I would be worried about her messing on the floor.

Edited by SoleSky

She probably hates to be crated. It will take her some time to settle in. Her nervousness will subside with time.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ugh. Been there, done that.

And in the case of a room mate situation, it's going to be hard. I assume your room mate is not involved with the dog care? Cause if you're crating the dog and SOMEONE IS HOME, she's probably confused as heck. And if she's anxious and pacing out of the crate, what is the room mate doing?

It takes time for a dog to settle in. She obviously is NOT comfortable in the crate, so I personally would stop that. Get an inexpensive rug to cover the wooden floor, and a a nice dog bed. Get up early, take her for a LONG walk, and then give her the Kong. Try a DAP diffuser, and find out what your room mate is doing when you're not there but the dog is.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SoleSky

I have not been crating her when my roommate is around, but my roommate stays in her room while she is out and about. My roommate has a cat and she's not comfortable letting her around Suki yet. I just feel uncomfortable not crating her when I'm gone. I feel like it's more dangerous and she would be more confused when she's in a huge open room with no one around. But idk. We're still working on it.

Based on her response when left out she was just as distraught and tended to find things to get into.

I want to add that she absolutely hates walks - she keeps trying to go back inside. It's really cold here. She likes to do her business and run back inside. I tried taking her to the park yesterday to run around with me and she just stood by the gate. I have a snood on her and a fleece jacket. She had an interaction with my friend's dog and seemed to really enjoy herself but didn't play or run, just kind of wagged her tail and smiled.

Edited by SoleSky

How is your roommate around her? Was she supportive of the adoption or would she rather she wasn't the? Dogs know when they aren't liked or accepted.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest SoleSky

My roommate is just apathetic in general, she is supportive of the adoption but we don't really get in each other's business. Occasionally I take care of her cat for her and she agreed to watch over Suki. So I'm not really sure - I don't think it's that. I just think she knows I'm not there and she might think she's alone because my roommate was in her room.

Edited by SoleSky

Guest k9soul

Soiling in this way can be due to anxiety, especially if the stool is at all loose. No dog would really want to lie in waste, so it has to be creating a negative association with being crated and thus possibly making it worse. Hopefully working out a way to leave her uncrated may resolve the issue.

Guest SoleSky

Thanks for all of your help everybody. I started treating her every time she goes into her crate. Now she does it willingly. Today she made it the whole day without going to the bathroom in her crate. I decided to remove extra blankets and only put in a sherpa bed and she seemed to do better with that. I think when he has blankets it encourages her to go because she digs over it. Her stool has not been diarrhea. We also started getting into a good routine where she goes defecates twice in the morning, once before breakfast and once after. I will let you know if she continues to show any improvement.

I happen to not like crating dogs either, but given that I got her less than a week ago I think its a safe option right now, at least until she settles in. How would you suggest transitioning her into staying out on her own?

I didn't realize it was just a week. You have to give her some time to adjust, in general. Everything is new to her.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Feed every meal in the crate. Give good treats in the crate. These things are a MUST when you are trying to associate the crate with good things. I agree that you need to crate, especially if you have a cat in the vicinity. Your girl sounds like she is transitioning like some greyhounds. They dont have any idea what is going on. They are thrust into a situation that they dont know what the rules are, what is expected of them and new people and smells around. Take things easy, dont react to the accidents in the crate. Treat them as they are not there. When you take her out, be sure to bring good treats (good as in hot dog slivers or other good things) and make it a party when she eliminates on the leash. She poops, get animated and have a high-pitched voice praising her. Give treats, pets, everything for about 10-20 seconds. Do this every time for a few weeks and she will be a pro on the leash. One other thing to do is make a command while she is eliminating. For me its "Go pee". Whenever my hound would squat to pee, i would start saying, go pee, go pee. Once she was done, party time. Now all my hounds will pee or poo on leash on command (well relatively on command). I will tell them to pee, it will take less than 20 seconds for them to find a spot and eliminate. Same thing with poo. I have a fenced yard, so i dont need to leash walk to eliminate, but let me tell you, when you take 4 hounds on vacation and are standing in the rain outside a hotel, you dont want to walk around for 20 minutes trying to find the "perfect" spot.

Chad

I'll repeat the idea of feeding in the crate--- as she most likely will not soil where she eats. We had good luck with that when a dog would go in the house-- we'd feed them in that location for a few days so that they would know that was not a place they should want to use as a bathroom!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest SoleSky

Thank you so much for the advice and help! We've been making good progress! Yesterday and today have been great. No mess in the crate. I don't scold her for going in the crate since I'm not really around when it happens. I will try feeding her in the crate too. I think that's a really good idea.

I know she whines when I am gone but I think she settles down eventually. So far she has been really good. No accidents in the house, she follows me everywhere. She started getting into a routine of going out once in the morning, once after dinner, and once at night. I take her out much more than that but that's when she chooses to go. I'll start associating that word to get her to go.

A bit of advice--do NOT take a dog to an offleash park when you've only had her for a short time. If she were to get out--odds are you won't be able to get her back by calling her, and far too many greyhound are lost when they're newly adopted.

Walking her is a better way to exercise her. Make it fun. Use a happy, upbeat tone of voice. Explore the neighborhood. Take the snood off and see how she does. My dogs both hate them. If you're in Canada, a fleece coat is ok for chilly temps, but not for real cold. Chilly Dogs makes a great coat, and it's a Canadian company.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SoleSky

Thank you for the advice. I've been taking her to the a few times a week to play with other dogs and so far she's done really well and has had a great time playing with my friends pitbull. She hasn't showed any interest in trying to escape and it seems like she is really benefiting from playing. She's been doing really well in the crate - so far no accidents at all since last week. We've also been taking little hikes and she has really enjoyed it. She is coming out of her shell so much. Today we are going to the vet so I will let you know how she does.

Listen, I LOVE pit bulls. I had a dog who was half pit bull. So this warning applies to ANY unmuzzled dog you let your dog rough house with. If no one has told you yet, greyhound skin is extremely fragile. That's one of the reasons why they ALL wear muzzles in the turnout pens at the tracks and the farms. Because even normal play can result in a trip to the e-vet.

So totally innocently, her new pit bull pal could do what ALL dogs do when they play, nip at her, and rip her open like a piece a of cheap cloth.

She's your dog, do what you feel comfortable with. Just find out where the closest e-vet is, and be prepared.

I don't mean to sound alarmist--but if you search the forum you'll find lots and lots of pictures of ghastly wounds inflicted by friends, enemies, housemates. Doesn't matter. When tooth hits fragile greyhound skin, it's usually a disaster.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SoleSky

She wears a jacket when she plays. They all play very gently with one another and I'd much rather her have a good time and enjoy herself than worry about every little thing. I am fully aware of the thin skin issue, and we watch very closely at their play style. Yes, she's gotten a few scrapes (mostly from the icy snow) but she has many doggy friends and they all play nicely. If I noticed one was being too rough, I will intervene. I understand the risks involved, but in my opinion I'd rather not shelter her. I want her to enjoy life and get out her energy. She really blossoms with other dogs around, and to me, its the nails that have been more dangerous.

I have pet insurance and a vet nearby as well, should anything happen. But same thing with children, they're prone to cuts, bruises etc, but I want them to explore, learn and play. Of course I worry, but every parent does.

Nothing against you, and I appreciate your advice, but behavioral problems can be just as damaging as physical ones and I believe socialization is important.