Is It Okay To Let New Grey Sleep In Room?

Guest SoleSky

Guest SoleSky

I just adopted a beautiful black girl named Free a few days ago. We renamed her Suki. She doesn't mind being in the crate at night, she will whine for a little then fall asleep. Last night I let her sleep in my room and she just slept the whole night on her beds. Is it okay to let her sleep in my room? The rescue suggested having her sleep in the crate outside of my room but I'm not sure why. She did really well so I would like to keep letting her sleep in my room unless it will develop behavior issues down the road. Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't know why they would tell you that, I think they should sleep in your room, especially at first. Some of mine have chosen to sleep in the living room occasionally, but that was after they had been here awhile. Sleeping in the room with you will help the two,of you bond :)

There is no reason for her to sleep outside of your room. Until housetraining has been firmly established if you want to control access to the rest of the house put up a babygate by your bedroom door.

What I would not do yet is let her sleep in your bed, if you let her do this at all. That is where behavior issues seem to show up. Just make sure she has a bed in your room that she knows is for her.

Guest SoleSky

Thank you! Last night she slept all night on her own bed next to mine. I keep my door closed at night but she didn't show any interest in wandering around to the other rooms. I will be crating her during the day when I'm at school and so far she seems okay with the crate, just whines a little bit at first. So far she has been really good overall, just hard to get her to pee outside! She will poo outside no problem but I just walk, and walk, and walk and she still doesn't pee! I just feel so bad thinking she might be holding it.

To answer your question. In my opinion it is not only okay to let your new grey sleep in your bedroom, it is great. In this way you will wake up if something is wrong or she has a problem. 2 of my 3 boys sleep in the bedroom at night since day 1.

Colin sleeps downstairs but I swear he is part dobermann. He guards our house and our neighbours' houses, too. He loves to bark when someone is at the door and gets all growly in the dark.I guess it is because he lived together with our lady labrador those first years and he learned quite well to be a real dog. 😈

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My girl Queen slept on my bed with me, and we had NO issues. My boy Conrad now will NOT get up on the bed to save his life, BUT we started him in the crate at night but after a while HE decided that enough was enough and would howl EVEN when it was NOT a full moon.

He now sleeps in my room with his cat buddy, BUTTON. It was great last night, My DW put Conrad's bed down and he started the great circle journey to the perfect spot on the bed, when Button kept trying to bump noses with Conrad, button kept "prairie dogging" trying to keep up with Conrad.

How could you NOT have the grey in your room? :hehe

Welcome to Suki!

<<but I just walk, and walk, and walk and she still doesn't pee!>> Just brainstorming ideas -- How much is she drinking? Do you know another person with a dog, preferably female, who could go for a walk or two with you and Suki? Suki would probably get the message when she sees/smells another dog pee. Or could you just take her someplace that you've seen other dogs peeing so she can smell the same message? And of course, when she does pee, praise praise praise praise.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest SoleSky

Welcome to Suki!

<<but I just walk, and walk, and walk and she still doesn't pee!>> Just brainstorming ideas -- How much is she drinking? Do you know another person with a dog, preferably female, who could go for a walk or two with you and Suki? Suki would probably get the message when she sees/smells another dog pee. Or could you just take her someplace that you've seen other dogs peeing so she can smell the same message? And of course, when she does pee, praise praise praise praise.

Thank you for the response! She seems to only pee when she REALLY has to go. She poops outside no problem. Before I left to run some errands I let her out again and she wouldn't go. I came back about two hours later and she peed and pooed in her crate :(. I know she whines a little bit when I leave her but then she usually calms down and falls asleep. The first night we got her she did the same thing. Wouldn't pee, even though I let her out several times. Then she ended up peeing in her crate at night time.

Her urine is very concentrated so I presume that she isn't drinking enough water. I bought her a crate water dish that hasn't come yet but will be here soon but I haven't left her in her crate hardly at all. Tomorrow I have classes so she will need to be in her crate tomorrow from 8:00 - 12:00 and then 1:15 - 4:00. I worry about her because I haven't left her in a crate this long yet by herself. Eventually when we get into a routine I want to leave her out of her crate but I need to make sure that she gets along with my roommates cat and isn't destructive if left along.

I can probably see if one of my friends will walk their dogs with me so maybe she will get the idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've always had our dogs sleep in the bedroom. Like others said, if they need to go out, or otherwise need something, you are way more likely to hear them. I've had a couple of greyhounds who did not bark or otherwise make noises when they needed to go out--they'd just pace or stare at you. Since I'm a light sleeper, I know right away if Phoebe needs to go outside. Even though I am not fond of getting up in the middle of the night, I'd rather do that than clean up a mess the next day! :lol And it's very rare that she needs to go out anyway during the night. Mostly it was the time she ate the pound of uncooked rice.....:unsure:lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

Yup. Barnaby has slept in our bedroom since day one. I put up a wooden kid gate at the door (just to keep him in our room) and he's good about coming to nudge me if he has to get up. He tends to sleep right through till my alarm during the week. During the weekends, he wakes me up around 730am.

Guest xengab

One of the requirements our rescue group has is dog in bedroom from day one. SO we had the crate in our bedroom for first two weeks, he then went to sleeping on his dog bed and had stayed there until we got him a slumber ball, now he HAS to sleep on that all the time but still stumbles into our bedroom at 4am to sleep a few hours with us. Had him 5 months now

Guest SoleSky

One of the requirements our rescue group has is dog in bedroom from day one. SO we had the crate in our bedroom for first two weeks, he then went to sleeping on his dog bed and had stayed there until we got him a slumber ball, now he HAS to sleep on that all the time but still stumbles into our bedroom at 4am to sleep a few hours with us. Had him 5 months now

What is a slumber ball?

Make sure you are crating her some of the time that you are home, in a room you're present in so she doesn't start to associate the crate with you leaving. During those periods give her something really yummy to work on like a stuffed frozen kong or a bully stick to further improve the positive association with the crate. Also helpful to leave her kibble scattered in her bedding or a stuffed kong when you leave so she has something to do as you go.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

once you establish a routine, they get used to it and your area, the peeing and pooping indoors gets better. takes them a while to figure out their den is a lot bigger than it used to be. turnout times are changed and it's not OK to ever relieve themselves in the enlarged den as it attracts predators and insects (and disapproval from the human who wants to be the pack leader).

millie figured out a day or two after i got her that i used the bathroom for my stuff, so if she was desperate she'd wee/poo in there too, on the carpet tiles. i put down some plastic and a towel for her to go on, she used that, and after a few days the oopses came fewer and farther apart as she settled more, until she could hold it for days (not tested, but never any more accidents.blue never had an accident in the house. he'd let me know in no uncertain terms when he needed out. millie was more subtle. my current saluki lurcher, poppy, had been fostered and was well house-trained when i got her. they all slept on the bed, sometimes retiring after a while to the living room beds/couch/floor if they (or i) got antsy.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest SoleSky

Make sure you are crating her some of the time that you are home, in a room you're present in so she doesn't start to associate the crate with you leaving. During those periods give her something really yummy to work on like a stuffed frozen kong or a bully stick to further improve the positive association with the crate. Also helpful to leave her kibble scattered in her bedding or a stuffed kong when you leave so she has something to do as you go.

I didnt realize that I should have her in the crate sometimes when I'm here. That is a good idea. I left her a frozen kong yesterday before I left and she loved it. She goes into her crate willingly and gets excited for her treat, so I guess that's a positive

When I first got her Chancey didn't like going out into the back garden at night, possibly because it was quite dark out there. I had one wet carpet the second evening, when I sent her out and she did nothing, then came back in and 5 minutes later she did a wee. After that I took her out on the lead until she did something - the weather wasn't conducive to toileting out side, I must admit.

If you are expecting to crate Free during the daytime I think it is only fair that she has freedom of movement when you are home at night. I crate Chancey downstairs at night (I'm home virtually all day), I've never had dogs in the bedroom. If I have been out in the evening and had to crate her (I don't trust her not to eat things she shouldn't), I stay up late so that she has time to stretch and move around before I crate her again at bedtime.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Guest SoleSky

When I first got her Chancey didn't like going out into the back garden at night, possibly because it was quite dark out there. I had one wet carpet the second evening, when I sent her out and she did nothing, then came back in and 5 minutes later she did a wee. After that I took her out on the lead until she did something - the weather wasn't conducive to toileting out side, I must admit.

If you are expecting to crate Free during the daytime I think it is only fair that she has freedom of movement when you are home at night. I crate Chancey downstairs at night (I'm home virtually all day), I've never had dogs in the bedroom. If I have been out in the evening and had to crate her (I don't trust her not to eat things she shouldn't), I stay up late so that she has time to stretch and move around before I crate her again at bedtime.

She does fine with me at night time but I just don't trust her during the day not to be in her crate.

• 2 weeks later...

When I adopted Calvin, I was shocked to note that he would pee only ONCE on our walks, no matter how long. (And I was doing 2+ mile walks.) I mean, he's a BOY dog! No marking, nothing. He didn't pee in the house either. I eventually figured out that he was a little too new and unsure of himself and nervous to just go whereever. Once he relaxed some, he started peeing on things like a normal dog. And now, believe me, that is no longer an issue. :-)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest SoleSky

Thanks so much everyone! It is amazing how much she has come out of her shell in ONLY TWO WEEKS! I'm so proud of her. She has gotten into a routine of going out and she will do her business right away now. So far we have yet to have an accident in the house (besides the crate). Although she got over going to the bathroom in her crate too! Now she follows me all over the house and has slept in my room since day 1. I love having her as company too - she helps me sleep at night. She has her own little bed next to mine and sometimes she comes to check on me during the night and once she see's that i'm there she will go back to bed. I love this dog so much!

She's made some great doggy friends with my friends' dogs. She used to just stand at the gate of the fence and look sad and now when she gets to the park she zooms around! She's even started taking an interest in toys (she had no interest before). I think the other dogs are teaching her. She is simply the best (but obviously I'm biased)

I just bought her a coat from Voyagers K9 Apparel and a new martingale collar so you could said she's got me wrapped around her paw.

I can't imagine not having Annie in my bedroom on her bed, or mine if she chose but she doesn't. You close your bedroom door at night, so in addition to your girl having her own bed, she'll need a bowl of water. I know my girl drinks water at night because the amount is much less every morning than when we went to bed.