Kidney Failure

Guest Sobeamy

Guest Sobeamy

Hi all,

Our girl was recently diagnosed with kidney failure a few months ago. It all started when she started to get incontinent and just peeing in her sleep. She was given a prescription, but it just slowly progressed.The vet said it could be a slow or quick process. Not too painful for the dog. She just turned 11. Suddenly, it's been a challenge to get her to eat ANYTHING; one meal a deal is pretty good eating now. Am I over-thinking when I'm thinking it could be time? And if it is, how will I know for sure?

Thanks.

Love her & watch, she will tell you when it's time. My daughter had a girl with kidney problems from the age of 18 mos that lived to 7 & she let us know when it was time for her wings, of course it was way before we wanted but Laura let her go so she wouldn't suffer. I know it's hard but it's what we do. Hugs.

I think loss of appetite is common with kidney disease. Look in her eyes, she will tell you when she is ready to leave her body and be free.

I used an animal communicator with my girl when she was diagnosed with bone cancer. I just had another session and she correctly told me Luka was having issues with his spine. The chiropractor found he was having back spasms right where she said.

Her name is Latifa and her site is Animals Can Talk.

Hope you can find something she likes to eat and can have more time.

Hugs!

Trust me, you will know. Dawn lived for 2 - 3 more years after diagnosis. Get her some vanilla Ensure. We gave that to Dawn for years. She loved it so we gave her half a bottle a day. She loved to eat but her appetite was not so great for a while. She was on antibiotics every month for a week and that helped too. I probably let her go a bit too long because she started to bleed. That was awful. She wanted to live!

Guest Sobeamy

Thank you all for the responses. This has been so sudden. We've always said she's 10 going on four because she just had that kind of energy and life to her. I guess too when she stops eating all together it will be time. We aren't quitting on her though. We're going to keep trying!

Guest Sobeamy

We didn't go back again for blood work; we didn't see the point the way she's been. Right now she is on Proin (50mg). It's short for PPA. They are 50 mg tablets but we cut them in half, because she walked around like a zombie. She's been on half a day and she was fine (no peeing in her sleep) but no it's getting to be like waterworks.

Guest Sobeamy

Hi all,

Just an update on our girl. I wish I could say she has improved, but the incontinence has gotten worse as has her overall demeanor. We go for short walks and a few drops comes out when she tries to pee. When she gets back home, she lays down and the waterworks begin. And it's become a challenge for her to just get up on the couch without letting a cry. Last night, she stuck to me like glue, following me around from room to room and just looking at me. I'm guessing that was my sign. So, it's with a heavy heart that I take her to the Animal Hospital today for some more bloodwork and probably our goodbyes, I feel awful. I hope this is the right thing for her.

Edited by Sobeamy