Out First E-Vet Trip....

My husband took Jake to the dog park late last night (always when he's the only one there). It was pretty cold, but Jake never seems to mind. When he got back, Jake started coughing and acting like he was trying to vomit but nothing came up. Of course we thought of bloat as that is one of the main symptoms. We brought him in even though he seemed otherwise okay. Vet said it almost certainly wasn't bloat because of the way he was acting. They tried to do a chest x-ray, but Jake wasn't having it and tried to bite the tech. Then the tech reprimanded us for not letting them know he doesn't like being restrained (First of all, what dog does? Second of all, they didn't ask!) They did do a CBC and that was normal. He got a steroid shot and some hydrocodone cough medicine. Overall $260 (would have been $500 with x-ray) and one sleepy dog. He seems perfectly fine today. Vet thinks it is/was bronchitis. I hope that's the end of it!

Photo just because

IMG_0835r_zpssllk9bmt.jpg

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Jake. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Hope you are feeling better today, buddy. You need your strength for that wild New Year's Eve party.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You know a very similar thing happened to me on the day after Christmas. My Search & Recovery K9 Reba started gagging/coughing right after a run with my houndie Gilly Boy. I took her in as well. You did the right thing. Always best to be safe. I took a dog in one time because he just 'wasn't right.' I figured I was over reacting but I just didn't want to take any chances. When we got to the evet they quickly diagnosed bloat! I was shocked. There was no stomach dissension or anything-I had caught it so early!-and you know how important that is.

So never hesitate to take them- because they can be far sicker than we think. K9 Reba also was fully recovered the next day. In hindsight I think she must have just sucked a piece of something into her throat and then managed to get rid of it-mals run almost as fast as greyhounds- their little short legs just fly hehe. Oh and my bill was almost exactly what yours was-$269.00......$69 for the visit and $200 for blood work. Well worth it! Jake is lucky to have a Mom like you that takes such good care of him. Have a great New Years and scritches for the Jake man.

Then the tech reprimanded us for not letting them know he doesn't like being restrained (First of all, what dog does? Second of all, they didn't ask!)

While most dogs don't enjoy being restrained or manipulated, most are actually quite tolerant of it, so generally we wouldn't ask unless there was something in the dog's behaviour to suggest it might be an issue.I do not always ask if a pet is okay with something, especially if it is a very friendly animal and it is a very minor thing that the majority of pets are okay with. (It's certainly different if the dog has been giving me the hairy eye all through the appointment already.) I really appreciate it when clients tell me their dog or cat doesn't like something, so I can take the appropriate precautions to keep myself and my staff safe. I've had owners tell me their pet is REALLY BAD for something, and then the pet has been totally fine, but I still appreciate their overcaution. I have had clients put me and my staff in very dangerous situations by not informing me of their pet's behaviour. It only takes one bite to do serious, permanent damage.

Now that you know he doesn't like being restrained or manipulated, I can assure you that all medical staff will appreciate knowing that information up front. It doesn't make Jake a bad dog, and you'll actually be protecting him as well by letting the staff know. The last time I got bit (actually, it was the first time too), was a dog that launched himself at me the second I opened the kennel door (he had been sitting there nice as pie the whole time). He wasn't current on his rabies so I had to go to the walk-in to get my rabies titres checked and the dog had to be put in 10 day quarantine for observation. The whole thing resulted in both myself and the owners having to field numerous phone calls from public health. I'm not sure if he got an official bite record out of the whole ordeal or not, but that's a possibility.

Glad to hear that Jake is okay and hopefully will be feeling back to his usual self soon.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I'm glad he's going to be okay.

Now that you know he doesn't react well, you know to bring a muzzle with you, to keep Jake and the vet staff safe. It doesn't make Jake a bad dog--I have to muzzle Leo for any kind of foot injury or he would bite me even though he's a total sweetheart. Thankfully he's a much better boy when I'm not the one checking him out, but I still bring a muzzle in case they feel like they need one and let the vet make the call.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Yeah, now that I know for sure, I'll tell vets in the future. Although he doesn't like being manhandled, he is a great blood donor so I was really surprised that he snapped at the tech just for an x ray. And this probably sounds stupid, but I was worried and didn't realize he had to be restrained like that for an X-ray, even though I work for a human doc. Just does to show you aren't thinking clearly at the e vet at midnight! I'm happy he didn't make contact.

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

That was one of my first thoughts to. From a lot of experience I know that when you make an evet visit-even during the day- you are not at your best/sharpest and may easily forget some things. Got to tell you I am on Jake's side in the whole ordeal. One of the things I learned after I started handling detection dogs is that dogs can easily smell fear. Good dog handlers(techs etc as well) control their emotions because they run right down the leash and affect the dog. I would bet that the tech was putting out fear scent. That would explain why he has never had any 'issues' during blood drawing and other people handling him also-they wern't putting out fear scent. A lot of things can happen when they smell that strong fear scent. One thing it can do is make the dog afraid too-they think that after all if the human is afraid then perhaps they should be too. I have seen certified friendly dogs with AKC CGC titles even react like this to a greater or lesser extent. So in my world it wasn't yours or Jake's fault. And now that you know he is sensitive like that you know that if you observe his behavior carefully he may someday alert you to danger that YOU didn't know was around. Jake is just an all around

great guy!

Edited by racindog

Sweet Jake !! glad he's doing better today - i probably would have done the same thing, taken my dog in.

give him extra xoxox from his first foster mom :beatheart

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

L-

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I once had a dog, a berger des pyrennees and he was at the vets after a car accident. He ran into a driving car. Lucky him, just some minor bruises and scratches but he got x-rays and was very nice, stayed still, didn't try to bite, didn't even growl....

...than the doc sat him down, told us to go home and to take it easy. My dog walked up to him and bit him in his leg. I was so stunned. He kept his anger to himself and planned his attack. Strange dog - vet was clearly not amused. Since that day we always had to go to the other vet - his wife.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I once had a dog, a berger des pyrennees and he was at the vets after a car accident. He ran into a driving car. Lucky him, just some minor bruises and scratches but he got x-rays and was very nice, stayed still, didn't try to bite, didn't even growl....

...than the doc sat him down, told us to go home and to take it easy. My dog walked up to him and bit him in his leg. I was so stunned. He kept his anger to himself and planned his attack. Strange dog - vet was clearly not amused. Since that day we always had to go to the other vet - his wife.

I know I shouldn't laugh... but just picturing that dog calmly walking up and biting the vet... :hehe