Corns - Treatment I Used

Jester

Sider developed corns this summer. I had them removed when he went in for a dental, but they were back within the month. I have tried all kinds of things since then with no success (my vet required anesthesia to hull and I don't want to put a 10 yr old dog under once a month). I then read a cryptic comment about using Ichthammol Ointment to draw them out within a few days. I tried it, but I couldn't keep them ointment on him when I wasn't watching him (he would pull the coverings off overnight). I was off for the last week and put it on him every day during the day and within a few days, the corns had certainly risen right up to the surface and I was able to pry one of them right out. I put the ointment on the other two the next day again and they both came right out!!! Just wanted to share.

Where did you get it? I checked, and CVS and Rite Aid both sell an ichthanol ointment. Is this what you used? I'd read about using Burt's Bees cuticle ointment, and I've been trying that. One corn is almost ready to come off, I think. But I can't keep it on Calvin for long either. I've ordered some soft boots he can wear in the house---they haven't come yet. But I think if I can keep either ointment on him, it will help.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I bought the generic ointment from CVS. I also tried the Burt's Bees ointment, but Sider hated it. I don't know if it burned or what but he would run when I came to put it on him. He didn't mind the ichthammol.

Ichthammol 20% is an old fashioned drawing salve. Never used it on Rex's corns but have some here from when I used it for psoriasis flare ups on me - it really helped. Have also used it on splinters, etc. on myself.

Most drug stores have it but many keep it behind the counter and you have to ask for it. It is black and smells like tar. My family doctor said it is what is left over after they make Vaseline. Vaseline is the white part and the Ichthammol is the black.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, it was right in the aisle in CVS. White box with a red (and blue) stripe. The tube is about 4" long and I used so little of it I probably won't need another tube for the rest of his life.

http://www.cvs.com/search/N-0?pt=product&searchTerm=ichthammol

Edited by Jester

that stuff is GREAT@!!! use it on splinters, ingrown hairs, just about anything that needs to come to the surface or a head. felix had an infected puncture on his toe from a blade of our tall grasses(he was playing around while we cut them down one spring and managed to get a sliver of the grass in his toe). i injected ichthammol in the area- in one hole and made sure it came out the other. cleaned the entire site up and no need for antibiotics. and yes, it's very messy and a petroleum product.

I put a dab on his toe where the corn was and then wrapped a pantyliner on it sticky side out. Secured the liner to his foot with a piece of tape and covered the whole thing with a toddler sock. Then I used a piece of tape to keep the toddler sock up. Toddler socks are awesome for foot issues, and I have used pantyliners for leg/foot/tail issues for years. They rock because whatever you put over them has extra stick to stay in place.

No corn dogs here, but what about those rubber 'Pawz' boots to keep the foot covered?

We used them on Nixons' foot when he ripped a toenail.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a tube of this from my local CVS -- I'll give it a try on Larry. He has 2 (one large and one small) on one toe of his left front paw :(

thanks for the advice! worth a try.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Finally got the ichthammol. Didn't find it at Walgreens but it's at CVS here. And it still smells like road tar, freshly laid asphalt. Thought maybe I was misremembering that part. Nope. Smeared it on the pad of one toe last night & covered it with a band-aid & then put a toddler sock on. Am using a Pawz over that when he goes outside. (My first Grey, Venus, taught me to keep toddler socks & Pawz on hand.) When I checked this morning the band-aid was still on. Since it's the stretchy cloth kind I just folded the pad part back, leaving the adhesive section still adhered to his toe. Smeared more ichthammol on & put the band-aid back in place. Decided to do another toe as well. Double the ichthammol meant for a little while the living room smelled like I'd be doing road work. :lol Thankfully the smell dissipates quickly.

Soleil doesn't mind the ointment, band-aid or sock. A week or so of this shouldn't be a problem. Hope the results are as good as Jester's. :goodluck

We're on Day 3 here, about 48 hours after first application. Was checking Sol's pads prior to ichthammol application #3. Similar to Jester's description, the corn was raised above the level of the rest of the pad enough that I could use my fingernails to gently go around the margin of the corn to separate its edges from the rest of the pad. Worked slowly & carefully for maybe 2 minutes when a little "plug", about 1/16" deep, popped out. Since he still has a corn on another pad & the remaining two pads on that foot tend to get quite hard, I applied ichthammol to all the pads on that foot & reapplied the baby sock. Didn't bother with the band-aids. This is very encouraging. :goodluck

Note: We've had this, corn rising up to a level I can manipulate it out, happen before with other treatments like duct tape or bag balm. The difference this time, with ichthammol, is that the process took just 48 hours as compared to 1-2 weeks with other things. If it goes like other times the corn will grow back but still this abbreviated process beats prior efforts.

Very interesting! How often are y'all applying? Once a day and keeping foot covered 24/7? I will have to check this out. With our current treatment (hyaluronic acid and Murrey Ave Apothecary Corn & Callus cream) it's taking nearly two weeks to shed the corn each time.

Edited by muddgirl

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

I was doing it once a day, but after removing the band-aids yesterday the pads aren't as soft. So going back to using the band-aids. I think anything that helps keep the ointment in contact with the pads will be more effective than just the baby sock alone. That's my guess & I'm sticking with it for now. :) If I decided to proceed without the band-aids I'd probably apply the ointment a couple times a day.

Edited by kudzu

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had got rid of Fey's corn with duct tape, it was fine for a few weeks, walking on hard ground with no boot on but a few days ago she started limping on hard ground again. The corn had disappeared almost to just a white round dot. Recalling this thread, I've decided to try magnesium sulphate paste (I don't have any ichthammol and mag sulf is what they sell OTC here for drawing stuff out of the skin).

I haven't been using plasters but just a sock on top, but think I will try a band aid too. The corn is now more visible after 2 days, but not raised yet. But it also seems a lot more sore! Is that normal when using the 'drawing out' method?

I got rid of one corn permanently last year with duct tape in a few weeks and it never came back. But this one on her other paw is quite stubborn.

• 2 weeks later...

we're on day 2 with Larry, his corns were already pretty pronounced and sticking out of his paw pad but so far not seeing too much of a difference. I'm hoping they will just fall out. I put some of the ointment on, cover with a piece of gauze and try to secure it with a band aid (I thought just the band aid would stick to his fur too much?) and then putting his TheraPaw bootie over it all.

The thing is, each time we've had them hulled it doesn't seem to help him at all, and they just come back bigger, faster and harder each time. He only had the 2 (one big one small) on his front left, but he had a bout with cellulitis back around Xmas and it looks like now he has MORE corns, one on each back paw! I almost think being sick "triggered" them to come out somehow.... God I hate these things!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest AngelPup

Wow, haven't been here in a while (gave up FB for Lent and need to get my Greyhound fix). So glad I did! I haven't heard about this method on the Greyhounds with Corns page. I'm definitely going to try it!