Bone Cancer Prevention?

Guest SonjaAndStella

Guest SonjaAndStella

Hi!

Reading on this blog, and just knowing some about greyhounds, I'm worried about my hounds getting osteosarcoma. I have litter mates and they're only 4, but if there's something I can do to prevent it, I want to. I've read that maybe raw food diets help? If you don't have the time/money for a Raw food diet, does anyone have any other suggestions? I've read online about giving supplements like coconut oil and things like that, but I never know what to trust when I'm reading advice online.

Thanks!

Good question. Try not to worry too much about your litter mates. Although genetic, we've seen Greyhound litter mates from two or three generations where one hound each from different litters developed osteo but the known remaining litter mates did not.

Hopefully some medical experts will chime in re: potential osteo cancer prevention (if any).

Generally, we know that cancer feeds and thrives on sugar.

Sun causes cancer in dogs.

Second-hand smoke causes cancer in dogs.

Environmental and other toxins cause cancers.

Feeding raw meat is not desirable:

The following is a partial list of professional veterinary and other organizations that discourage feeding raw meat to dogs.

1. American Veterinary Medical Association

2. The American Animal Hospital Association

3. American College of Veterinary Nutritionists

4. National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians

5. U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention

6. U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Just as in people, there's no known way to absolutely prevent a dog from developing cancer. There are, however, factors that contribute to its development, as 3greytjoys listed above. There was just a stufy released in the last week or so that stated genetic mutations are the root cause of most cancers, and what sets off that mutation is most likely similar in all mammals. So what helps prevent genetic mutations in humans will likely help with our canine companions too - a healthy, appropriate diet; adequate exercise; not carrying extra weight; minimizing exposure to sun, cigarette smoke, toxins, and other cancer causing agents.

There have been many recent advancements in canine cancer treatments. Several trials of vaccines and stem cell treatments have been very promising. Hopefully we will have a cure in the not-to-distant future.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

sadly. life is a terminal STD. we all die from something. more die from cancer now because we have cured or prevented many of the other causes. however, it's one nasty way to go. i lost my furry children millie & blue to cancer. lost a number of human friends & relatives to it as well. best we can do is eat sensibly, don't smoke, and contribute to cancer research.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

I've been feeding raw for years now, I don't know that it has prevented cancer, but I an certain my dogs are healthier because of it. My vet not only supports my decision, but she also feeds her dogs raw. I share your concern about osteo, but until there is a vaccine to prevent it, I'm afraid it's the luck of the draw.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Another raw feeder here. I have no idea if it has any effect on something like osteo, but I want to point out many professional veterinarians support proper raw feeding. My vet from years ago was the first to encourage me and educate me about it, so if you are wanting to go that route there is a lot of information to the positive about it. Just make sure you do it carefully and correctly. There are more discussions about it in the Food and Dietary discussion. Anecdotally my mixed breed dog lived to nearly 16 and was fed raw most of her life. At age 15 her blood tests still showed good liver and kidney function, even while on Rimadyl long term.

As far as real osteo prevention though, as far as I have read there is no definitive evidence of anything. It is suggested that keeping at a healthy weight and getting enough exercise may in general reduce cancer risks but it's no guarantee.

Another raw feeder here. Best thing I ever did for my dogs. My vet (actually I have two vets at two separate clinics) both support my choice of feeding a proper raw diet and whenever they see my dogs, always remark on how healthy and shiny they are. I agree about brushing teeth daily-check. Exercise and healthy weight-check. Non-smoker here but I do live in a very polluted city. Not much I can do about that, moving is not an option. Sun light-we all need vitamin D. I don't sit in the sun with my dogs for hours but they go for long walks and they run off leash which exposes them to the sun but also keeps them in shape. So I guess it's a draw.

As far as what causes osteo--the theories abound. Genetics, luck? Who knows. If there was a way to prevent it I would be the first in line. If the vaccines that are currently being developed show that they can decrease the potential of our dogs getting osteo-sign me up for that vaccine. I have lost my heart dog to osteo at age 8. I did everything right. And he still developed this evil disease. Just try to live in "the now". Enjoy your dogs, give them what they need, have fun with them, love them and know that at the end none of us can outrun fate but to me it is the quality of life that I give my dogs regardless of how many years they are destined to live on this plane that counts for the most.

Guest SonjaAndStella

Thanks everyone for your responses! I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to my babies, so thank you for reminding me to just make the most out of my time with them and give them the best life that I can. That's what it's all about. It seems like if they're going to get cancer, they're going to get it, so all I can do is do my best by them while I have them.

My girl is just over 8 years old and I tend to look closely at the way she walks on our walks to make sure there's no limping. I have no idea if she'll get cancer, but I'm pragmatic. In the grand scheme of life, every living thing dies eventually, so if it's not cancer, it will be some other disease or general old age. I hope my girl lives for many many more years, but I know something will take her eventually. It's just the way it is, and I accept that over which I have no control.

Edited by Feisty49

Unfortunately, I think it's just luck of the draw.

We lost one of our greyhounds to osteo at 11.5 y/o. Yet, we had two others live to 13 years 7 months and 14 years 10 months - neither died from osteo.

Enjoy your hounds and try not to obsess over things you can't control.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I feed raw also and will not stop. Most Vets do not know much about nutrition, one of mine admitted it. All the Vets who i have seen who practice homeopathic and traditional combination support raw feeding. You have to do your research to make sure your dog is getting everything needed. Will it prevent Cancer if he is genetically predisposed? Doubtful but his coat is beautiful and is healthy. This even after the poor guy had heart surgery last March. Hard not to worry but do the best you can for your dog. Don't feed treats or food from China is a good start.

I just bought a crock pot and will be making healthy bone broth too. We all do what we think is best. Also i do not get him vaccinated, he has titre scales done to see if he has enough from previous vacs in his system which he still does.