How Do You Prep Your Olewo Carrots?

a_daerr

Question for everyone who has had success with Olewo -- our boy had skin issues (crazy itching when we first got him). I've switched him to a unique protein, cut out grains, corn, etc. (limited ingredient food) and have done the same with treats. After finding a food and one kind of treats that make the itching almost disappear (yay!) I noticed he still had really runny poo. I have used Olewo in the past (carrots and beets) and I never noticed any differences, so I stopped using.

I am trying the carrots again with our boy, but not adding any oil - he itches like mad when any fish product, so we've already been using flax oil supplements and he is fine with that. We tried adding coconut oil once and itching started again. So - I am sticking with just the carrots. He doesn't like them at all, but he still eats when I mix it all up with his food/warm water. Hah! He gets two big tablespoons morning & evening.

So...how long before I can expect results? After reading so many amazing things about Olewo here, I thought results would be immediate. We used the beets previously with our girl because she developed a little weight issue after being on a few rounds of steroids, and she had some itchiness/flakiness. After going through a 5 lb bag, we saw no difference. I then bought an 11 lb bag of the carrots and used them on her, and our previous boy (who had some soft poo issues, too) and saw no difference for them, either. So we stopped buying.

Trying again now - but after 2 weeks, no difference. Was really hoping he'd have firmer poo that we could scoop up a little easier - but it's still pretty bad. Thought it was a fluke with the other two dogs, but now using on a third dog and still no changes - should I just give it more time?

Edited by Sundrop

I notice a difference as soon as hte food eaten has clearly worked its way through Riley's system ... so within 24 hours. My hounds that had runny poop had either allergies (to a food that they were eating) or a gut issue (requiring an antibiotic) ...

Same here. Results were quick, within a day, even with Wolf's hookworms.

I'm wondering if your pup has a bigger issue, like IDB, in which the food doesn't have time to 'bulk up' and is just going right through him. Or, it could be the kibble not agreeing with him. Chronic diarrhea prevents the body from absorbing essential vitamins and minerals, often leading to dull/poor skin and coat. So maybe the itchiness is less an issue of food allergies and more a digestion thing? :dunno

Edited by a_daerr

O.K., you convinced me. I'm ordering them from Amazon right now.

The vet had a long list of possible tests and diets (not that he was pushing them, just providing information). This seems like a natural, conservative first step.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound