How Do You Prep Your Olewo Carrots?

a_daerr

Wolf isn't having poop issues, but even with four cups of kibble a day, he always seems insatiably hungry. He's just a little guy- 59 pounds! I figured I'd try some Olewo carrots to add something to his meals to help fill him up. Truman is more picky with food, but I wanted to offer him some too.

I'm curious, how do you guys prep your Olewo carrots? For two dogs, I did 2 tbsp + 1 cup of water, nuked it for 30 seconds, and let it sit for 7-8 minutes. I skipped the oil this time. The consistency fine, but may have gotten dry if I let them continue to sit any longer. I was going to do two cups of water, but I was so skeptical that those tiny pellets could soak up that much!

For Rocket I use 4-6 oz of boiling water (nuked on the beverage setting) to 1TBSP Olewo Carrots. I make them the night before and just put the dried carrots and water in a bowl, cover it and walk away. I don't add oil to the carrots because we use Springtime Skin and Coat Oil on each meal. Rocket then gets half of the resulting carrots on his breakfast, and half on his dinner.

I've found that you don't have to be all that precise with the water measurement which is why I say 4-6 ounces. As long as it's close, it works. As long as you cover the bowl with some plastic wrap or use a contianer with a tight fitting lid, they won't dry out before you use them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

No, but I guess it goes faster if it is. For us, we would prep the day before, in a yogurt pot, close the lid, shake and let sit until the morning. I cut down the water in half otherwise it was like a soup. I prefered when it was like oatmeal, much easier to separate :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Oh okay, you do it the night before. I've been doing it right before they eat.

We have been doing that at first and it looked like a gigantic soup with pellets/mush at the bottom and we were like " ermmm not sure this is how it is supposed to look like" :P

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

The instructions on the bag are confusing and really don't help the situation.

Water doesn't have to be boiling but hot water seems to dissove the pellets much faster. Making them the night before seems to work best, but some people have also made larger batches of them to use for several days. If you make a large batch, I would probably refrigerate them, but I don't bother with that since I make them daily.

Don't over-think it. Dump pellets. Dump water. Cover. Walk Away = Carrots.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yup ... I dump "some" carrots (and beets) in "some" warm water. Usually about 2 tablespoons in 3 cups of water. I usually throw some type of oil into the mix (if I use Coconut oil, then I make sure the water is really warm). I try to let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes before using any of it (I don't want expansion in sensitive tummies), and give ~ 1 tablespoon mixed in with my hounds' food. If the mixture was too crumbly, I add more liquid at serving time. And refrigerate extras.

I'm laid back about prep. I put about 2 Tbs of it in a small plastic container; fill the container with tap water (hot or cold doesn't make any difference); put on the top; and put it in the fridge. That makes up enough for at least two meals for Annie. I add enough water to her kibble to have the Olewo mixed in thoroughly. Annie won't eat her food if she - Goddess forbid -- sees it.

how about rice?? i don't know if the carrots will really fill him up. i used to just dump some in a container, add water and ended up w/ watery carrot soup, the dogs didn't care. i prefer the service that my aroma rice cooker provides, set it at night, go to be and hot rice in the morning.

Guest daytonasmom

I use a cup and half of warm/hot tap water and 2 tablespoons of carrot pellets, let it sit for 10 minutes.or so then put it in the fridge. Daytona gets a couple of spoonfuls morning and night. I also put in boiled ground turkey and rice with his kibble. He still acts hungry when there is other food around (cats, people) but being skinny isn't a problem of his LOL

• 1 month later...
Guest GoingGrey

OK, what the heck are Olewo carrots?!

A shredded dehydrated carrot product, I gather.. a search mainly returned promotional websites & info, which I tend not to rely on for scientific proof of a product's effects, so I was hoping someone could fill me in.

I'm curious cuz Elvis LOVES raw carrots. I've always given them to him as a treat. He'll chase them down the hall or hunt for bits I've hidden in the apartment as a favorite game. (Jammer, not so much. She chews 'em without eating, leaving a little macerated pile of orange on her bed.) He also loves tomatoes, so yeah, he's weird.

I have read that dogs can't absorb all the nutrients of whole carrots; they have to be ground up or shredded for that to happen, but since he enjoys them so much I figure they're a healthier treat than most.

While dogs love raw carrots and it is a good low calorie treat since the dogs have teeth that tear and not grind the carrots mostly pass thru the body undigested. The Olewo carrots because of the way they are made your dog will get the full benefit of all the great stuff in them.

You can make the carrots as firm or as soupy as you want by adding water or adding more carrots to make them more solid.

My boys and my girl Peace love them and it has worked magic on their poops.

You can use hot tap water or put it the microwave to heat the water.

So many dog people rave about Olewo carrots and they have helped many greyhounds with their poop issues. I have been using for about 3 years now.

I have had many conversations with Ina who runs Olewo USA and this product has helped so many dogs. She actually closed her high end dog boutique to become the US supplier for Olewo.

I have been passing out samples of the carrots at my meet and greets. When a product works this great I love to tell people about it.

I was trying to talk her into going to GIG as a vendor last year but they are a small operation and it would have been really hard to do.

Guest GoingGrey

Thanks for the 411!

The kids have pretty solid poops (knock on wood) so that's not an issue.

And if i use carrots when making homemade food to spice up their kibble, I do shred them them first (the carrots, not the kids ;-). So i wonder if Olewo carrots have any further benefits than ground up fresh ones...probably convenience, since grating/shredding is a pain! ha.

When I started, I prepared the Olewo for every meal with warm water. Now I prepare several meals worth in a covered pitcher and refrigerate it. I no longer measure exact amounts - as some have said, more water makes it soupier and less water makes it look more like the consistency of canned pumpkin. I learned about this product on this forum and am a true believer - both of my greys went from pudding poops to firm, well-formed poops that can actually be scooped. Can't imagine doing without this.

Guest WildSparkler

We never use a precise measurements either, but typically it's about 4 tbsp of carrots, and little less than 2 cups of as hot of water as I can get from the sink, and a scoop of coconut oil. If you cover it they set up in about 5 minutes, then I put the rest in the fridge and it lasts for 2 days. I am too lazy to make them before every meal ;)

Allie wasn't too impressed with her carrots until I started making them with chicken broth (no salt added variety) instead of water. Now she gobbles them up.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper"