Weak Hindquarters, Harness Recommendation?

Guest soylette

Guest soylette

Hi,
I was trying to find a greyhound fitted harness recommendation for my 13+ year old fawn girl. She's been slowly getting weaker in the hindquarters. The vet said it's most likely a pinched nerve or slipped disc in her spine, but we haven't had the x-rays yet. I also went to a holistic vet who prescribed regular acupressure and acupuncture (we're going next week) as well as Ligaplex2, Glycoflex chews, and Canine Musculoskelatal Support powder. Usually she's doing wobbly but walking and carefully going up and down these 5 steps that go into the house fine, but I want to be prepared. Her legs shake when she squats to pee and I worry that she might fall. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you!

There are many good harnesses. I chose https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness, which is custom made. My Nutmeg wore it 24/7 without appearing to notice it. It made life in general, and steps specifically, so much easier and safer.

Is lumbar stenosis a possibility in the diagnosis? For a short overview, you can search for Suzanne Stack's web article about it.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

We have used the same harness that EllenEveBaz lists from Gods Greyts. We used one with three dogs so far. It is lightweight so they can wear 24/7 and allowed us to help them get up, steady when they walked and help balance at potty times. Here is a link to the lumbar stenosis article.

http://www.greythealth.com/lumbosacral.html

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Welcome from CT! We used the Help 'Em Up harness for Sweet and it was a blessing. The front and rear pieces are detachable so you can use the front section alone and attach the rear section as you need it or leave them both on without worry. Here is an article comparing the Help 'Em Up and the Ruffwear harnesses. Best of luck with your sweet girl, 13 is a really wonderful milestone. Please keep us posted.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Another option is soft neoprene (medical) assistance harnesses:

http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/collections/walkabout-harnesses

We happen to have their walk-a-belly style; however, their "harnesses" that assist the hind-end would be preferred for a fully collapsing hind-end during potty outings.

Your vet's assumption might be spot on, but I agree re: reading about L.S. in Greyhounds by Suzanne Stack, DVM, (linked above by mongomery2524). Separately FWIW, a couple of our Greyhounds developed hind-end weakness from a progressive nerve disease rooted to laryngeal paralysis; however, they had laryngeal symptoms (hoarse bark, loud/labored breathing/panting when not too hot, gagging while eating meals, etc.) long before their nerve damage progressed throughout the body into the hind-end.

Guest soylette

Thank you all so much. I had no idea there were so many choices in harnesses. The ones we tried at the pet store really don't fit well. I'll definitely check out Suzanne Stack's article. The vet we go to is a greyhound familiar clinic (was recommended to me by almost all greyhound owners I met when I first moved here a couple years ago. they even have greyhound statues out in front!), so I'm assuming they're aware of greyhound specific issues, but I'll ask the next time we go. I'm hoping the acupuncture helps too. (crossing fingers). It's so hard to see them age :(

Edited by soylette

Personally, I don't think there are ANY choices once you have one of these. Custom made for your hound, ultra lightweights, ultra strong and I know of no greyhound who is bothered by wearing one, including my Teddy who has been wearing his since August 2015.

Simply the best!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=shop_home_active_2

ETA, I think every GH owner should have on BEFORE they need it.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest peacehound

I loved my ruffwear harness, Peace had mobility issues for years before she passed away, the harness was a lifesaver, she didn't seem to mind it at all..good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping in on this topic, as our girl recently had a spinal cord stroke and her back left leg is non-functional. We are trying to help her adapt, but she is currently unable to get up stairs. We carry her now, but since I've had (emergency) back surgery (in 2006) AND I have a total knee replacement (in 2014), it's not really the safest idea for either one of us. Since I work from home, I am her primary care giver and I desperately need a harness.

I ordered one of the sling-type ones, they claimed it would fit, it doesn't - our girl freezes when we put it on her. I was going to get her the Ruffwear Webmaster, but after reading the (very helpful) article comparing it to the Help 'Em Up harness, I am now second-guessing, as she is very wobbly on her remaining hind leg, so I fear getting it on & off will be challenging?

Edited by Sundrop

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread: so both of my guys are getting up in age, and along with that are having increasing weakness in their hind legs. We think it's time to start gently training them to tolerate a little assistance getting upstairs. (Going down is fine for now.) The comments so far talk about helping dogs go out to potty and wearing the harness all day, etc. We want something we can easily slip on and off just for when we need to go upstairs to bed. Thoughts?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

For dogs that need a lot of hind end support I really like the Help Em Up harness. Its been a lifesaver for us recently and I will always keep one around moving forward. The M should fit females and small-med males. The company is very responsive if you have questions.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

For others reading, the Ruffwear Webmaster is much easier to put on than described in the linked review. You don't have to step a leg through it or bend the dog's head down. You just undo both belly straps, unthread the front belly strap from the between-the-legs loop, slip the harness over the dog's head, and do it back up again. I will admit, threading the front strap back through the loop isn't as easy as on some harnesses; I covered the Velcro in mine to make it easier, and someone else on the board put another buckle at that spot. But, you don't have to contort the dog -- I don't and won't own a harness that the dog has to step into or contort herself to put on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We have the Walkabout Back End Harness, a soft neoprene medical assistance harness. (Bought primarily for staircase assistance.) Custom ordered size to fit our eldest female Greyhound. (Airlift One Back End Harness provides extra space for males, different material.)

http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/collections/walkabout-harnesses

Separately, we've used the Walkabelly assistance sling for balanced standing, walking, and a few limited steps.