Assorted Worms Question

What would be the time frame for a dog to come in contact with and then test positive for whipworms and roundworms?

This is a non-greyhound sighthound who was in a bad foster situation for less than a month. Prior to that wasn't so good either.

She has also tested positive for heartworms.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I found a few sites where the numbers varied a little, but on average the incubation period for whipworms is 10 weeks, and roundworms is from 4-8 weeks according to the sites I looked at from a Google search.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Heartworms can take much longer, I think. From what I've heard, the regular test doesn't catch filaria, so that an infected dog won't test positive until the worms are grown--at least six months after the dog becomes infected.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

What would be the time frame for a dog to come in contact with and then test positive for whipworms and roundworms?

This is a non-greyhound sighthound who was in a bad foster situation for less than a month. Prior to that wasn't so good either.

She has also tested positive for heartworms.

Usually 15-30 days for roundworms and 74 to 90 days for whips.

I'm sorry to read about the poor pup.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I'd worm her no matter what the fecal shows. Panacur calms the gut in addition to getting rid of the worms.

We are doing the slow kill method on Gracie for hw and she is doing great! Actually, slow kill is really not what it is -- the worms in the heart finally die and you keep the littles from getting big. Started out with doxy for a month, hw meds every two weeks and it's been about 18 months now. Hopefully another 6 and she will be clear.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Less than a month is not enough time to develop a full blown case of whips, but depending on where the dog was before, they could have already been there, especially if the dog has heartworm. It wasn't likely on any type of preventative.

Fenbendazole is the dewormer in Panacur and is also available under many other brands, and is readily available at most pet supply stores. Pay attention to the dosage, because an 80lb dog would need two packs of some brands.

One of my dog walking friends across the bay dosed his foster that had checked out negative for worms (fecal) but actually had an advanced case of whips. Once dosed the whips started to appear in the feces and within a day after the three day dosing, started to gain weight again. Usually, the regular dosing with the pyrantyl in something like heartgard plus (not plain ivermectin) will keep whips, hooks and rounds at bay, once treated.

BUT... since the dog has tested positive for heartworms, I would check with the vet before administering of any dewormer, depending on the HW treatment. Most often, they are fine with fenbendazole, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Edited by GreytXpctations

I am not in the same town as this dog. She's staying at the vet's office so they can closely monitor her other problems. Then she'll make her way to a good foster home.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png