Edge Killed A Rabbit And Tried To Bring It In House

Hi - I've had my grey for 1 year 4 months and for the first time he killed a rabbit in the backyard. He didn't eat it but tried to bring it back in the house. He left it outside after a bit and came back in. My concern is actually for my indoor cat which has never been a problem. In fact they play a bit -the cat is actually more aggressive than the dog. But now I'm nervous that something bad will happen at night when they are together.

Susan and Pongo

I think your grey is more intelligent than you give him credit for. He knows the cat as one of his companions. My boys love nothing more than to chase cats but my mother's black half persian cat has never been in any danger from them.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I recall reading in a dog book (don't recall which one) that dogs see the world sort of like a camera, looking at the whole picture. So the dog sees a rabbit in the back yard completely differently than a cat in the house because the contexts are different, whereas we abstract out that both the rabbit and cat are small furry critters.

On the other hand, the point the book was making is that if the dog sees the cat running around in the back yard, NOW it looks just like a rabbit, so a dog that is fine with the cat in the house might act differently in a different setting like the back yard.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I think your cat will be fine. My guys have killed several squirrels in the backyard, but have never had a problem with my cat, which lives indoors.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My first grey would catch a bird mid-air and run and have it for a treat to eat. She also caught a rabbit and when I saw what she did, the head was already gone. She loved to catch ground hogs. She would just lay them at the front door to show her prize. Never any blood, she would break their necks, so they did not suffer. The one boy did not know what to do with a ground hog and once he got bit in the lip, so he left them alone. My other one would bring the live babies into my house and drop them on their bed, as if they belonged to his family. I would catch them in a bucket and release the little things into the forest. Just their sight hound antics coming out in them. None were cat friendly, except San Tan Snuggles. She loved kittens When ever we had an indoor pet such as a bird, gerbil or guinea pig, none of the five greys ever touched them. They would watch them in their cage some, but that was all. I too think they know by instinct which are family pets and which are not. My first grey would play with the pygmy goat and they would eat berries from the mulberry bush together. The little goat whose name was Baby would teach my Billie, the greyhound lots of little tricks. They did like to play together.

Here is some thought. My big boy has been deemed cat safe, we had a cat until a month ago (passed away) and he's never really fixated on cats, seen them run outside but a soft "heel" and he is fine.

SOOO I took my grey for a sunday walk, usually its an hour earlier but I wanted it somewhat warmer.. We pass by a feed store that is usually closed but was now open due to the later time. I figured it would be a good experience for him to be in the store and maybe get a treat. Walked in the door and OMG! Fixated on rabbits, like Hello, Im a greyhound!. Thankfully they were behind glass and I was able to control him. But you could tell he wanted those bunnys in his mouth!..LOL We walked to the other end of the store and found out they had two cats in cages there (normally free range at night). NO reaction to the cats at all. He saw them, then walked on. They were jumping around playing in the cage too so more appealing for a prey driven dog.

I think smell, and movement and being prey is the big factor. A cat running away from a dog in a yard is acting like prey. Cat in the house is less seen that way and dog knows its pack and family. My kitty had more control over the dog then we did..LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daytonasmom

Daytona can tell the difference between the cat he lives with and the cats outside, better than I can when it's dark. If it's a cat he doesn't know and it runs, he wants to chase. When it's our cat who comes up to us outside, he shows NO interest at all. I think the cat is a little disappointed and wanted to be friends with him ha!

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

Daytona can tell the difference between the cat he lives with and the cats outside, better than I can when it's dark. If it's a cat he doesn't know and it runs, he wants to chase. When it's our cat who comes up to us outside, he shows NO interest at all. I think the cat is a little disappointed and wanted to be friends with him ha!

x2. Barnaby has been fine with the two indoor cats that he's interacted with (he lives with one). However, whenever he's outside and an outdoor cat comes over to do their business, he gives chase. Not in a "I want to be your friend" kind of way either.

At this point, I'm not at all concerned with him doing something to his cat roomie while they're inside (he seems pretty content with her being the boss in most situations). My concern is the cat getting out while he's outback and him flipping the switch from 'Play' mode to 'Hunt' mode. For that reason, I'm extra careful to make sure that the cat doesn't get outside while he's out there.

Guest chickenpotpie

Sounds like your fine. We only have Lucky, cats aren't an interest to her, but being where we are right now, the peacocks are fascinating!! (they're wild and don't have much fear of anybody here)