Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trace

Left The Dog Bed Abit To Close To Her Crate...

Guest Trace

I've had Trace now for just about a month. She suffers from a bit of Seperation Anxiety but I see it slowly getting better day by day.

The week day usually consists of: Walk from 7:30-8am, I leave for work from 8:15 - 12, I come home to walk her 12-1, than back to work 1-4:30.

If I leave anything in the crate with her and go to work, her anxiety gets the best of her and she rips it to shreds due to getting her mind off of me leaving (she would never do this with me home).

Well I guess I left her new bed abit too close to her crate this morning (about a FOOT away) and she managed to due the unthinkable and get a hold of it. Well R.I.P to the new bed, enjoy- :riphair

2djciub.jpg

Edit- Funny thing is I didn't even get mad at her, but she seemed to know exactly what she did wrong! aha

Guest Trace

Have you tried filling a kong with peanut butter, freezing it, and then giving it to her?

I have, froze it overnight filled with penut butter and abit of kibble inside..she gets it out within 10 minutes than throws it to the side..any other ideas?

2 kongs? :) Maybe she could have something that is ok to shred? Myka used to like tearing paper bags. She loved ripping pages out of books, but I directed her to the bags, which worked.

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016

Yeah, Ryder goes through a frozen kong full of PB and Kibble in about a half hour. I know how you feel. Do you leave any music on as background for her?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh dear hahaha good luck to you! This happened with our leather couch! Can you believe a crated 80 pound dog would take and drag a couch in his crate to nibble on while we were gone? Luckily once out of the crate that never happened :P

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest Trace

Haha! I have given her things to rip up in her crate (purposefully) and it does seem to help! I bought a pack of 100 wee-wee pads that I knew I was never gonna use, to see how she reacted to them. I leave one in her cage everyday now and she rips it to shreds than sleeps! Works perfectly, and it's not too expensive! :)

You leave her in the crate with no padding of any kind? Hmm. Let's think what you could use to give her some cushion that won't break the bank if she destroys it. What about a remnant piece of carpet? Carpet is pretty tough and it's what many track use in the crates. Greyhounds are a bit too bony to have no bedding at all, although I totally get why you gave up on giving her some!

gallery_14387_3165_14194.jpg

Susan,  Marcai's Mister Bigglesworth (AKA Da Evil Won), and Sleekat's Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming and George (Driven by Chile) and Buck (Vogo Player)

Guest Trace

You leave her in the crate with no padding of any kind? Hmm. Let's think what you could use to give her some cushion that won't break the bank if she destroys it. What about a remnant piece of carpet? Carpet is pretty tough and it's what many track use in the crates. Greyhounds are a bit too bony to have no bedding at all, although I totally get why you gave up on giving her some!

I'm not sure if you have advice for this but- If I put something in there with her to lay on- shell pee on it...odd i know, and I'm not too sure why. If I leave it with just the plastic, she doesn't go to the bathroom at all inside. This was tested the first 2 weeks of getting her, and it's been abit over a month now and there has been no potty at all in the crate this week, so next week I'm thinking of attempted another dog bed inside!

Edited by Trace

Guest Trace

Funny thing, but the only thing Jack didn't destroyed was a fleece blanket :P

A red one I should add :hehe

I was thinking of getting Trace a fleece blanket, but I heard if its get staticy and shocks them they do the GSOD (greyhound scream of death).

Mine gets unconfortable if the fleece gets REALLY staticy, but never screamed :) He will whine cause he will feel the static, then I shake the fleece to remove the static and its as good as new :)

Edited by locket

Guest Trace

Mine gets unconfortable if the fleece gets REALLY staticy, but never screamed :) He will whine cause he will feel the static, then I shake the fleece to remove the static and its as good as new :)

I'll give her one tonight! I'll let you know how she likes it :) . Do your grey's sleep with you in the bed at night? Trace does with me, but when my girlfriend comes to move in I'm not too sure how much room were going to have- just curious

I'll give her one tonight! I'll let you know how she likes it :) . Do your grey's sleep with you in the bed at night? Trace does with me, but when my girlfriend comes to move in I'm not too sure how much room were going to have- just curious

:hehe no, and he must be the only one! He doesn't seem to "like" heights as he never attempted to even jump on the bed. When we put him on the bed, he put his ears back, tail low, knees bent and jumps back down. He sleeps on his bed by our bed :)

Does she do anything else while you're gone? Like whine or howl or bark? Does she tend to just sleep once she rips up whatever? If she's not being vocal and seems to relax after a few minutes, you might be good to try her out of the crate. You will probably have to redo your Alone Training, at least some, to get her used to a new routine, but she may be fine. Lots of people have discovered their dog does better left loose in a dog-proofed room.

I feel your pain. Lilly ripped down a whole window full of curtains because they were within her reach from inside her crate. We came home to her bed in shreds, the crate full of curtains, and Lilly laying on top of all of it. She even pulled the rod holders out of the wall! It must have taken her the entire time we were gone to pull 8 yards of curtain into her crate through the tiny opening in between the bars! Next time we left, she was not in her crate and she did just fine.

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

Guest Trace

Does she do anything else while you're gone? Like whine or howl or bark? Does she tend to just sleep once she rips up whatever? If she's not being vocal and seems to relax after a few minutes, you might be good to try her out of the crate. You will probably have to redo your Alone Training, at least some, to get her used to a new routine, but she may be fine. Lots of people have discovered their dog does better left loose in a dog-proofed room.

I feel your pain. Lilly ripped down a whole window full of curtains because they were within her reach from inside her crate. We came home to her bed in shreds, the crate full of curtains, and Lilly laying on top of all of it. She even pulled the rod holders out of the wall! It must have taken her the entire time we were gone to pull 8 yards of curtain into her crate through the tiny opening in between the bars! Next time we left, she was not in her crate and she did just fine.

Shes a whiner! She cries and cries when I leave for a good 10-15 minutes. Than she will lay down for a solid 1:30-2 hours, than cry for another 10 minutes, than just 1 more hour till I'm home for lunch. Than after lunch it's about the same. The one time I attempted to let her stay out she ripped up my carpet...yeah..but I was thinking of trying with maybe her muzzle on for a few minutes at a time? Is that a good idea? I hate putting on her muzzle I feel so bad lol.

She's quite used to wearing a muzzle so don't feel guilty! I would give it a try, just to see what happens. A few bouts of whining isn't bad, and they will likely disappear with time.

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

Oops! She is cute as hell though.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

A beautiful girl.

Maybe a second greyhound to keep her company? :devil

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

2ptxppe.jpg