Guest DarkHorse Posted December 16, 2015 Share Posted December 16, 2015 For those who don't know, Dexter has had a cataract for five or six years now, about half his life That eye's time has finally come. We took him to a veterinary ophthalmologist back in May, and the vet said that although he was fine at the moment, his eye had more issues than just the cataract, and there wasn't really many options for retaining it. The main concern he had was the pressure in the eye, so we picked up some recommended saline drops to help with that. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have helped. We've been noticing some signs of discomfort since September-ish, so we took him into the regular vet in mid-November. She prescribed some pain-killers and told us to keep an eye on things - and when the pain-killers worked, we knew it was definitely his eye. We brought him back and she had borrowed a pressure reader, so we were able to get confirmation of what we already knew. When he was at the ophthalmologist in May, Dexter's eye pressure was at 12, well within normal ranges. On the 1st of December, it was 60! She gave us some glaucoma drops to try and get the pressure down, but agreed that surgery would be necessary. Luckily, the drops are working well so far. He's down to a pressure of ~8 as of last week. But the eye still needs to come out, as the vet doesn't think the drops will hold for long. So he's booked in for mid-January. The vet's not overly worried about putting him under (at least, no more so than any other senior greyhound), but she does think the recovery will be a rough one. And we're not sure what to expect - none of our dogs have ever needed surgery once we took them home already fixed. We know that he will probably be dopey for about a day, and that he will likely be in pain, and we know that he's prone to licking at his IV site, but otherwise nothing. So what should we be preparing for? Is there anything we should be getting ahead of time? Should we be preparing to keep him separated from the boys, and if so, for how long? The vet has recommended we use Metacam after the surgery as all of Dexter's blood values are good, and we have an ~2 week supply - should this be enough? Obviously we'll be talking to our vet more about recovery recommendations, but we want to prepare as much as possible and make sure that we have everything set up and ready for him even before we take him in. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.