Fusions Still Throwing Up-Going To Vet

Guest Lygracilux

SDMA is a new way to test for kidney disease. My understanding from what little I know is that it may be elevated earlier than creatinine and BUN and thus improve the ability to diagnose CKD earlier, especially in cats, but don't quote me on any of that. I do also recall tbhounds saying like the other kidney values a slightly elevated value may be normal in greyhounds.

ETA:I can't remember what I paid for that test. I want to say it was around $100-125, but I really can't remember. I'm also in the DC area where vet costs are high. My mom also ran it on her pup and paid about half what I did so you really need to just call your vet's office and ask.

What other symptoms are you seeing that make you think Cushing's?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

SDMA is a new way to test for kidney disease. My understanding from what little I know is that it may be elevated earlier than creatinine and BUN and thus improve the ability to diagnose CKD earlier, especially in cats, but don't quote me on any of that. I do also recall tbhounds saying like the other kidney values a slightly elevated value may be normal in greyhounds.

ETA:I can't remember what I paid for that test. I want to say it was around $100-125, but I really can't remember. I'm also in the DC area where vet costs are high. My mom also ran it on her pup and paid about half what I did so you really need to just call your vet's office and ask.

What other symptoms are you seeing that make you think Cushing's?

Okay thank you! I will wait for Tbhounds to chime in if she can.

Yeah I will just call them on Sunday to see how much it would cost to bring in a urine sample for that test, and see if I can just bring one in monday morning.

Well, he has increased thirst & urination. Sometimes (verrrry rarely) to the point where he has an accident in the house. But he only gets like this during the evening, which could have part to do with the fact that he sleeps all day while we're at work and doesn't drink much of anything until we're around and hes up. Hes not really like it on the weekends when were around all day.

Also, lately hes also been losing some fur on his lower hip area. But hes always been a bald belly and butt-so that could also just be a greyhound thing. His skin just seems dry and fur is sparse. Although his fur is nice and soft and shiny. I also havent been giving him any supplements, because of his digestive issues. Im thinking about coconut oil as Ive heard great things if you introduce it slowly.

Oh and he pants. a lot. If its even a little hot out he pants like crazy. He also tires very easily, like he will zoom around the yard for 5 minutes and be full on panting and exhausted.

Idk lol.

Has your vet checked for heart issues?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

Has your vet checked for heart issues?

Shes listened to his heart, checked his pulse and all that but nothing more.

This is actually a fairly new vet for me, as the first two didn't work out. (one had no idea what he was doing, the other clinic changed vets too much. I like knowing who Im getting)

She does have all of his records though.

Guest Lygracilux

Hi! Took a peek at Fusions blood work--looks ok. I would just repeat the USG (urine specifc gravity) on a first am sample. Ideally should be at or above 1.030. The smda test has been noted that slight elevation can be normal in ghs.

Thanks so much!

Okay I will have her retest his urine with a morning sample. When she checked it is was mid afternoon, and though he had just peed he was nervous going in-so maybe that had something to do with it. I will catch a sample the morning of his dental.

Do you think I should still test his thyroid or do a cortisol:creatine test? She wants to take his blood to check the SMDA again anyways, so while shes doing that she could easily run a t4 panel Im sure.

Also, some good news.

He hasnt thrown up since Tuesday :)

Hes been pooping a lot though. Small volume poops, about 5 times yesterday and already twice this morning. Which is just feeding him all W/D and splitting up his meals. The poos are nice and solid, and he hasnt shown any signs of tummy dicomfot i.e: pain,acid reflux, etc.

Hes also been drinking adequate water without having to pee a lot.

However, he has been a little lethargic. At least he was yesterday-could be him not having much energy because he hadn't had much food in his belly the past few days. And vet visits always make him sleep all day.

Thank you everyone!

Edited by Lygracilux

As I am sure you know, they can occasionally throw up or have soft/runny poop for know discernible reason :rolleyes: Given his history, I can understand why you worried and had him checked out, but hopefully the puking was just a one time event not related to anything :goodluck

Good luck with his dental!

Guest Lygracilux

As I am sure you know, they can occasionally throw up or have soft/runny poop for know discernible reason :rolleyes: Given his history, I can understand why you worried and had him checked out, but hopefully the puking was just a one time event not related to anything :goodluck

Good luck with his dental!

Oh yes, it could have been something as insignificant as eating a piece of dirt haha.

But yeah, given his history and the fact that I love him more than anything-I worry about him probably more than I should.

Thank you for the good luck wishes! I will be sure to keep ya'll updated (:

Guest Lygracilux

Hoping all is well with Fusion. I thought W/D is a diet food. maybe I missed why he's on W/D? I remember most dogs not really liking W/D.

So far so good! Thank you :)

Well w/D is just low fat, really high fiber. Low fat can help with sensitive tummies, and we found he is fiber responsive so he's never had diarrhea on it. Dogs can definitely benifit from it if they're overweight but you can also just use the feeding guidelines to maintain weight, or add more to gain weight.

It does make him poo like 5 times a day. Not a lot of poop each time and its super crumbly.

The vet mentioned trying to add in some I/D wet food to help with all that though. So we may try that after he recovers from his dental.

But whatever keeps the food in his belly and his output good, works for me at this point.

Prior to my beagle mix being diagnosed with Cushings, he was drinking 16 CUPS of water a day and trying eat everything but my socks. NOTHING would tame his thirst or appetite. I'm hoping when you talk about high thirst, you're not looking at those levels (and I wanted you to have some context for the definition of "high thirst").

Hope all starts healing soon!!

Guest Lygracilux

Prior to my beagle mix being diagnosed with Cushings, he was drinking 16 CUPS of water a day and trying eat everything but my socks. NOTHING would tame his thirst or appetite. I'm hoping when you talk about high thirst, you're not looking at those levels (and I wanted you to have some context for the definition of "high thirst").

Hope all starts healing soon!!

Oh my your poor baby!

No, Fusion is definitely not that bad. He gets really thirsty here and there- but again, its always when DH & I get home from work and I think its because he doesnt drink much during the day as he sleeps all day.

Also, he loves eating, but not that much! Lol.

Thank you for giving me something to compare it to (: it puts my mind at ease.

Many greyhounds drink a lot of water at one time -- comes from only getting water at turnouts.

Blood work looks fine. After the dental I'd try canned only (no raw, no kibble) for a few days and see how he does. The ingredients in W/D are awful (at least they took the peanut hulls out -- replaced it with powdered cellulose)

If he continues to throw up, I'd do allergy tests

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Lygracilux

Many greyhounds drink a lot of water at one time -- comes from only getting water at turnouts.

Blood work looks fine. After the dental I'd try canned only (no raw, no kibble) for a few days and see how he does. The ingredients in W/D are awful (at least they took the peanut hulls out -- replaced it with powdered cellulose)

If he continues to throw up, I'd do allergy tests

Oh okay, thats probably what it is regarding the water intake. Because hes totally fine during the day.

I dont know if I should just switch up his food to a wet food on him right after the dental. The last thing he needs is a stomach upset while hes recovering. I think Ill just turn his kibble into mush, with some pumpkin (which I have been adding to his kibble and it has kept his poos less crumbly)

Im aware that W/D doesn't have the best ingredients-but many dogs thrive on it, and Fusion and his tummy seem to like it. W/D soothes his tummy, and keeps his output good.

However, after his dental I am going to go back on the hunt for a better kibble. There are a few that we're recommended to me that fit his criteria (:

Thank you for your input!

Happy Holidays!!