Fusions Still Throwing Up-Going To Vet

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

I thought it was just a food thing, last update here:http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316082-half-home-cooked-half-kibble/?do=findComment&comment=5890912

Last night fusion threw up again after eating just some pasta/Turkey and his W/D. He was fine all day, but threw up after supper wwhile I was out. DH said it looked like all of his supper.

I then tried to just give him a nibble of W/D before bed and he threw that up with in an hour. It was half digested with thick white slime on it.

I'm bringing him to the vet at 1:30. He hasn't thrown up since last night, doesn't have the big D, and besides being hungry (fasting for 24 hrs) is in good spirits.

Maybe it's some infection, cause his lymphnodes seem a little swollen too.

I'll update after the vet.

Edited by Lygracilux

Hopefully it's nothing serious. Otherwise I'd suggest super super super bland for a week or more to get something into him. Just rice and broth - thats some carbs and some liquid to prevent dehydration. Thinking of you.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

Yikes-is he the kind of dog that would get into anything? Socks, underwear...???? Please keep us posted.

Hes gotten into underwear once and pooped it out. He hasn't since as we keep the door shut now. He has eaten a used softner sheet here or there when I fold the laundry. I see him do it, but he pooped them out. Hasn't gotten into anything that I know of in months. Sometimes he chews tree bark, but not for long and he doesn't eat it he spits it out.

I gave him a handful of kibble this morning, I figured he'd puke it up before his appointment anyways. But he hasn't. It wasn't much but that's a good sign. He also pooped this morning, not much but it was solid.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We are heading to the vet in 20 mins.

Edited by Lygracilux

sending prayers!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Update please?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

Hi everyone! Thank you for keeping Fusion in your thoughts<3

Sorry this is so delayed, yesterday was just crazy busy and I didnt get a chance to check the internet until I was in bed.

So, we brought Fusion to the vet:

She did a very thorough exam, checking his lymphnodes, feeling all areas of his belly, etc.

The lymphnodes are not swollen, but the other glands near his jaw are..I forget what she called them, but she said because he needs a dental badly and swelling of these glands are typical with dental issues (he is getting a dental on the 29th).

By feeling his belly and assessing his character she said it is HIGHLY unlikely that there is any sort of blockage. He was drinking water, acted hungry, was not in any pain whatsoever, and minus being a little fatigued and loosing a little weight from vomiting-he was in good spirits. She said if his vomiting persisted, he acted uninterested in his meals, and he started showing signs of discomfort, we would get an ultrasound on him.

She said that it could be anything that was making him vomit-eating a rock, a sharp piece of tree bark or any thing that could have messed with the lining of his stomach. She did a full blood workup, urine sample, and gave him a anti nausea shot.

She said to feed him JUST W/D for a good while, and not adding any other dry food with it. She said I should be splitting up his 4 cups a day into small meals throughout the day for a few days, to give his tummy ease in digesting if its still upset. She said after a few weeks of not getting sick again I could as in canned W/D which would add moisture and help with the crumbly poo's Im concerned about (though she said its not a concern at all-thats just what happens with all the dry-matter fiber) then if he takes the canned well, I can add in supplements for skin/coat and some veggies/other meat here and there. But that will be in a few months.

Anyways, last night I split up his food into 3 small meals-and he didn't get sick. So that is a plus. Also this morning, I fed him one cup for breakfast and will be feeding him another cup during lunch, then split up his supper into 2 separate meals. He pooped this morning, and it was solid. He hasnt gotten sick since Monday evening (:

I got a call from her this morning regarding the blood work and urine test-she said the urine test was fine, and the blood work looked pretty good minus some level that could point to a problem with his kidneys. She said that him being dehydrated from vomiting could also have affected that level, and as long as he doesn't have any issues from now until his dental-she will wait to run another blood test on him during his visit for the dental to just test the values again. She did ask if he has had issues with urination-and I told her that he does pee a lot, but only if he drinks a lot too. So we're just going to keep an eye on that as long as he doesn't get worse. If he does have any issues (vomiting, diarrhea, urination problems) from now until the 29th I will bring him back in before then for more blood tests on his kidneys. She did say she will keep the kidney level "issue" into consideration when putting him under anesthesia for his dental though.

Anywho, thats where we are at now. Im going to give her a call on Monday, as long as he stays stable until then (its my day off and i can bring him in if i need to) and tell her I am concerned he may have Cushings. He has a lot of the symptoms (hes actually starting to bald in random areas on his body) and with his kidney levels pointing to a problem-it wouldnt hurt to check it out.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Any input is always appreciated.

I would also check his thyroid while you're at it.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is that a blood test as well?

Yes. Depending on your vet and what they have set up with the lab, a T4 value may already have been included with your results. You could call and ask. If that was normal then I probably wouldn't pursue further. But if it is low I would do a full panel with interpretation (you have to add on the latter for a small fee) through MSU.

If you are calling, I would also ask (or just request a full copy of the results be emailed or faxed) for the kidney values and normal ranges (creatinine, BUN, SDMA if included). Some vets still don't know that greyhounds typically run a bit high on those values, especially creatinine.

Guest Lygracilux

Boy how frustrating this must be for you. Hugs

Yeahh, thank you! I more just feel bad. We've had problems with him from the beginning-whether it be digestive, sores, pee problems etc.

He should be enjoying his retired life ):

Sharing the blood work results since Lilly was having trouble getting them uploaded.

Screenshot_2015-12-17-11-04-03_2.png

Screenshot_2015-12-17-11-04-11.png

Screenshot_2015-12-17-11-04-18.png

The creatinine is normal for a greyhound, but the specific gravity is low. If you are seeing other signs of Cushing's I think you are smart to test for it. There's a simple urine cortisol:creatinine test you could do as a non-invasive starting point. You would expect the ALP to be high in a Cushing's dog and Fusion's is normal, but that's not always the case.

Hopefully tbhounds or Jjng will have some better insight. I only half know what I'm talking about. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest Lygracilux

The creatinine is normal for a greyhound, but the specific gravity is low. If you are seeing other signs of Cushing's I think you are smart to test for it. There's a simple urine cortisol:creatinine test you could do as a non-invasive starting point. You would expect the ALP to be high in a Cushing's dog and Fusion's is normal, but that's not always the case.

Hopefully tbhounds or Jjng will have some better insight. I only half know what I'm talking about. :P

Thank you!

When I called her and asked for the results she said she is familiar with Cushings but usually doesnt test for it if the ALP is normal. I will still bring it up on his dental day though.

Also the SDMA is high (i dont know what thats short for) but couldnt that indicate cushings or hypothyroidism as well?

Haha thanks for all your help.

Edit to say: how much does a cortisol:creatine test usually run? I could get her a pee sample as early as monday morning and just have her do it anyways? Just figuring out finances.

Edited by Lygracilux