Greyhound X Diagnosed With Bone Cancer, What To Do?

Guest harleyandme

I'm so sorry you and Harley are having to go through this. I know how difficult it is. Just remember Harley isn't worrying about the amount of time you've spent together, she only knows and feels the love and joy you've had for her, and she will die knowing she was loved more than anything by you. And I don't believe she would ever want you to second guess your decision, because it was made out of love for her.

You were both so lucky to have found each other. (((Hugs)))

"The vet told me 'some people are willing to do anything' which made me feel pretty bad, like I was giving up, but she did agree to the decision to put Harley to sleep was the best I could make for her."

Please don't take this as a negative comment made to make you feel bad. Spending all the money in the world would not fix this, merely delay the inevitable. You have made the kindest, most loving choice for your girl.

I will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Guest harleyandme

Thank you for all the replies!

Harley was visited by my parents, sister and grandparents last night and seemed quite content. Bully sticks, cheesebuns, meatballs, spaghetti...she got everything!

Right before bed she had trouble getting up and needed an extra boost from her bottom. For the first time in weeks she went back to her old bed to sleep beside our bed. I'm sure she knew we were upset. The few times I woke up she was panting away and having trouble getting comfy unfortunately.

Now the WORST part of the whole day was waiting for the vet, ugh. She got a whole bowl of ham, an egg, yummy wet food, peanut butter, more bully sticks and cuddles if she tolerated them. She preferred to just be around us. She got to wear her cute little yellow raincoat one more time as it's pouring rain here!

Finally the dreaded time came, Vet and tech came and we're very nice. Harley, after laying all morning, was very excited to see them. The told us about the procedure and injected her with a sedative. She happily lay beside her bed and we petted her head the whole time telling her what a wonderful girl she is. The vet had trouble finding the vein at first which was starting to stress me out, but Harley closed her eyes and passed away very peacefully while we stroked her head.

The vet and tech noted how spoiled she was, the tech was a bit teary eyed...not sure how they survive seeing it all the time!

I feel a huge sense of relief, I don't know how but as soon as she was diagnosed Harley just went downhill faster (although looking back the last couple of weeks weren't fantastic, I can't believe she had it for months, we wish we'd found out sooner). I feel like I should feel, more guilty? But I'm just happy she's finally pain free. While I would have loved to have had a couple more months...and I would have done everything, this was the better option.

She will be privately cremated with her favorite stuffed hedge hog and eventually spread down at one of her favorite parks with my other dog.

Other than missing my baby, I'm not sure what to do with all of her items. I have a lot of dog decor as well, hah. It'll be awhile before I get another dog. It was only 4 years but Harley packed a lot of life into it!

I will add Harley's name to the list of Bridge Angels for December. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So sorry for your loss but glad you are at peace with your decision. It's clear how much you loved your girl. Rest well, Harley.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest harleyandme

:)

Donated some of her food, treats and 'consumables' to the SPCA today, then donated her medication (most if it new) to the vet to donate to someone who can't afford to buy it. Packed away most of her things, except her collars and beds (beds everywhere!), I really do expect to look over to her sleeping in one.

I've really appreciated all the comments and will be sticking around to see pictures of all of your cute pups!

I hope this thread can help someone else one day if they go through this horrible disease.