I've Gone To The Dark Side (Feeding Raw)

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

After that super long post about what dry food I should try next (I ended up with Earthborn, then back to Iams Sensitive) I decided, after tons of reading and recommendations (thanks Remolacha and NeedleNoseJake) I've finally made the jump to raw. It's been only 3 days, and I don't want to put the cart before the horse.. but they're both doing good so far. Here's what I did...

I read the Raw Feeding Basics super thread... http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/242512-raw-feeding-basics/?hl=greyhound9797.. and after deciding to stop overthinking the bejesus out of it (or I would never get anything done) I just ran to the grocery store next door and bought a big pack of chicken thighs (no added salt), chopped it up and threw some on top of their morning kibble (in the right proportions).

Holly absolutely loved it. She loves any food though, haha. Gambler sniffed at it, licked it a couple times, then went back to sleep. Later on in the day, I chopped it up more and he gobbled it down. The next morning their poops were amazing.

Same thing the next day, raw chicken with bones on top of their kibble. For the first time in goodness knows how long, Gambler actually came when I called him for breakfast. He chomped down a bone too. Now he happily runs to the kitchen for food. He's never done this for any "dog food". Their poops continue to be awesome. Not soft, and very minimal, with very little effort to go (especially on Gambler's part that's freaking awesome). He seems to have no problem with raw chicken. There has also been almost no gas, and if there is, it doesn't smell like toxic smokey rubber.

Then something weird happened.. I sat down to eat my own food, and neither one of them came begging!

I also noticed this today.. Gambler is less... "puffy". He looked like he gained weight over the past couple months though he actually didn't. He was just looking extra flabby lately even though he wasn't eating more or getting less exercise. I looked at him today on a walk and noticed he looked extra handsome and lean :)

I don't want to jump the gun, because let's face it.. it's been 3 days. And they're still doing about 50/50 with kibble.. But so far so good! I'm crossing my fingers that it only gets better!

Guest chickenpotpie

wow, fantastic! it could be possible Gambler was having an allergic reaction to something in the dog food, which could account for him being less puffy if you're feeding less of it. I do partical raw for Lucky but there are some days where she eats totally raw. IMO, its really about whatever is best for the dog.

My dd's GSD boy is on raw for his allergies & all the other dogs want what he's getting. She buys frozen rolls that look like hamberger. I'm taking care of her 4 & my 3 while they are on vacation & sneak the blood & a tiny taste of meat into everyone's bowls. Our vet said he wishes everyone would feed raw as it is much better for the dog.

Guest chickenpotpie

I don't know anything about feeding raw and haven't read any info. Is it okay to feed raw with bones? I always thought small bones, especially chicken bones, are a no-no. Or is it just cooked chicken bones? Pardon my ignorance.

Cooked bones are a no no unless cooked so far down that they basically disentegrate. Fish bones are a no no too. Lucy eats chicken backs, wings, pig feet, duck feet, chicken feet, turkey necks without issue Turkey legs, she loves, chicken legs are too small, she's so damn greedy :hehe . Fish I feed cooked, some feed it raw, I don't though. I've never had an issue feeding her meat or bones; she knows exactly what to do. :hehe , but for some dogs who haven't been raised that way, its good to start slow. but yes, raw bones are always preferred over cooked.

Lucky still gets grains. She loves oatmeal, especially with cranberries. She also likes grilled asparagus. I swear she's not all dog in there...

Welcome, welcome to the dark side!!!

"I also noticed this today.. Gambler is less... "puffy"

This is EXACTLY what happened to my two within two weeks of starting to feed raw. No one warned me about it, but I looked at Carl one night as I was prepping his dinner and, while he was at the perfect weight before and looked great, he looked as if he had "depuffed", same with Doodles. They looked ripped again, their muscles were so well defined. Doodles is almost 13 and her body still looks amazing. I was asked last week if I have her correct birthday, they thought she was younger than 12 years 10 months!

As long as I can afford it, I'll never go back to feeding kibble. I've been doing it for 4 or 5 years now. I'm very lucky, my vet totally supports it, she feeds her dogs raw, too. Doodles bloodwork is always stellar, too!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Good for you! Once they get used to the raw chicken, you may want to see if they will eat the thighs whole, only because it will cut down on prep time. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get Jake all of his nutrients without resorting to canned food a few times a week. He will only eat liver if it's cooked and that is a smelly mess...

It looks like you've already discovered the best thing about raw- less poop!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I feed a mix of raw and kibble (due to finances), and mine really seem to thrive on it. In the very beginning they had some gassiness and loose stools but then things normalized and now they seem to just overall have really strong and healthy digestive systems. I have felt like muscle tone improves too with it.

I free feed a bowl of kibble for each boy during the day because they don't eat well in the morning. In the evening I feed raw and they absolutely love it.

I buy in a small shop where they offer meat from the area, no factory farming, no genetically modified food. It is not the cheapest but in return I get healthy dogs. I always tell my husband that I'd rather spend my money on good food instead of vet bills. And it works.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest HeatherLee

Good for you! Once they get used to the raw chicken, you may want to see if they will eat the thighs whole, only because it will cut down on prep time. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get Jake all of his nutrients without resorting to canned food a few times a week. He will only eat liver if it's cooked and that is a smelly mess...

It looks like you've already discovered the best thing about raw- less poop!

Oh I'd love them to eat it whole, but then they drag it into my living room and dine on the carpet :riphair Even if I put down towels.. they drag it somewhere without towels, I seriously don't want to tarp my entire living room.. and I don't have outdoor space. Besides I really don't mind chopping meat with my cleaver, it's kind of therapeutic :) I don't mind the liver smell though.

Gambler's poop is so small now, it's amazing. However Holly had diarrhea this morning. I'm not saying it's not because of the new diet, but since she's been fine up until today, and Gambler is fine, not to mention if it was the raw chicken I'm inclined to think she'd be much more sick than just diarrhea (because she's other wise fine, not lethargic, not vomiting, still hungry, still thirsty, playing, etc).

I also happened to take Holly to the vet today for "female issues" and had to mention the diarrhea.. and of course had to mention to the vet that I started raw.. He was polite about telling me it was a bad idea.. then proceeded to tell me to use science diet.. even though corn ranks high on their ingredients.. :rolleyes:

Oh I'd love them to eat it whole, but then they drag it into my living room and dine on the carpet :riphair Even if I put down towels.. they drag it somewhere without towels, I seriously don't want to tarp my entire living room.. and I don't have outdoor space. Besides I really don't mind chopping meat with my cleaver, it's kind of therapeutic :) I don't mind the liver smell though.

Gambler's poop is so small now, it's amazing. However Holly had diarrhea this morning. I'm not saying it's not because of the new diet, but since she's been fine up until today, and Gambler is fine, not to mention if it was the raw chicken I'm inclined to think she'd be much more sick than just diarrhea (because she's other wise fine, not lethargic, not vomiting, still hungry, still thirsty, playing, etc).

I also happened to take Holly to the vet today for "female issues" and had to mention the diarrhea.. and of course had to mention to the vet that I started raw.. He was polite about telling me it was a bad idea.. then proceeded to tell me to use science diet.. even though corn ranks high on their ingredients.. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, I told my vet cousin about our diet plan (raw chicken with liver and table scrap add-ins) and he said that sounded just fine. He didn't even reprimand me for giving Jake milk (OMG he LOVES milk!)

As for them dragging it all over... yes. I know it's gross, but our carpet sucks anyway and usually Jake eats it all in one bite. Usually...

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I'm sorry you got that from your vet. I'm very lucky, my vet feeds her dogs raw, so she's a wealth of information. She also gives me raw cleaned rabbit on occasion, her dogs hate it!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I trained mine to stay on their towels when fed indoors. Now, if they see the towels come out, they run to their appointed spot and wait! I just wish my kids were as considerate when they were young, lol.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest HeatherLee

If it makes you feel better, I told my vet cousin about our diet plan (raw chicken with liver and table scrap add-ins) and he said that sounded just fine. He didn't even reprimand me for giving Jake milk (OMG he LOVES milk!)

As for them dragging it all over... yes. I know it's gross, but our carpet sucks anyway and usually Jake eats it all in one bite. Usually...

Well that's good to hear :) I get my vets argument.. but still.. telling me to feed science diet because it has the research even though corn is one of their top ingredients just doesn't make sense.. :dunno oh well though.

That's amazing that Jake can handle milk... Gambler would have the worst gas if I did that!

I know you're having an issue with liver.. what about eggs? (not the same nutrients I know.. but it could help bride the gap?)

I'm sorry you got that from your vet. I'm very lucky, my vet feeds her dogs raw, so she's a wealth of information. She also gives me raw cleaned rabbit on occasion, her dogs hate it!

Wow that's awesome.. I need to find a vet like that!

I trained mine to stay on their towels when fed indoors. Now, if they see the towels come out, they run to their appointed spot and wait! I just wish my kids were as considerate when they were young, lol.

Sweet.. I would give that a try.. but I also don't have washing machines in my apartment and don't want to walk across the complex to constantly wash towels :flip

So now Holly has some diarrhea. I'm a little concerned about it since I stopped kibble (used up all I had) a couple days ago. Gambler didn't poop at all this morning but his stomach was gurgling (normally when this happens he won't eat, but he still gobbled down breakfast). Otherwise they both seem fine?

I tried to give them some green beans last night and they wanted nothing to do with them, haha.

Canned or pureed pumpkin can often help with soft stools. My dogs love pumpkin and always seems to help when they have had any digestive issues, though it has been so long now since we've had any of those come up. Hope things smooth out for Holly soon.

Guest HeatherLee

Holly is fine now.. it seems shes sensitive to antihistamines. And yeh yeh I know it could be TONS of things but when the dog is pooping fine, then is given an antihistamine.. then gets diarrhea.. I'm skeptical (since some are known to cause stomach upset).. but then it clears up, and I gave her another antihistamine (her face is itchy and her eyes are goopy, I don't just randomly give her pills).. and then she got runny poo again.. Seems a likely cause? Either way,. she's doing ok now. I'e gone back to doing half kibble and half raw.

But then Gambler had diarrhea today. He didn't have any accidents in the house, but it was like water every time he's gone out today. He's still got an appetite, not lethargic, showing no signs of distress other than upset stomach. :dunno Is that a normal reaction? Unfortunately Gambler has never done well on canned pumpkin or sweet potato.. only gives him orange diarrhea.

:hope