Half Home Cooked, Half Kibble?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

I posted this on GTs Facebook as well, just wanted more opinions on those who don't have a Facebook, so bare with me (also if this has already been asked I'm sorry-my phone isn't letting me search)

To quote from Facebook:

"Please Help: Fusions throwing up (again)

He has always had a sensitive tummy, and to make a long story short-turns out a low fat high fiber food helps. Like W/D-he does pretty well on it minus crumbly poos, but I don't want to keep him on just that so he was on Whole Earth Farms for a while and did really well on it for months. Up until a few weeks ago when the formula must have changed when they were bought out by Purina. We got a new bag and it gave him acid reflux and made him vomit every night, he was lethargic, etc. So I took him off the WEF and put him back on just W/D for a week to settle his tummy. And he was back to his normal self-no issues. So last Monday we went and got Fromms Weight Management (low fat, high fiber, good for dogs prone to pancreatitis) we've been transitioning for a week now-very slowly, and he was doing wonderful. No poo problems or vomiting, or skin issues. Well, up until about an hour ago and he just vomits all of his mostly digested food up. Hes puked twice now and it's almost mucosy.

I'm so confused. Like, is it the food? I feel like if it was the new food he would have reacted badly to it sooner than a week. Did he get into something? I didn't see him get into anything but who knows. Maybe he has an ulcer? Idk anymore.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Please, suggestions would be great!"

Now some have mentioned a few foods to try and honestly I'm just getting tired of switching foods, and having to worry about ingredients and recalls etc.

So I'm wondering if instead of mixing half W/D and another dry food, if I could do half W/D and half home cooked. I'd like to keep him on half W/D because it keeps his stools good and would give him the necessary vitamins and minerals he needs. I found this recepie

Recipe: 1/2 cup of rice or pasta, 1/2 cup of boiled ground turkey, hamburger or chicken, 2 tbs of plain yogurt, and 2 tbs of pumpkin.

Could also sub pumpkin for sweet potatoes.

So I'd do one cup of the recipe to one cup W/D twice a day. Hes 73lbs.

Thoughts? Thank you all for reading this.

Edited by Lygracilux

If you try it, I would introduce it slowly - not all at once. Some of the things that are suggested for tummy issues like yogurt, pumpkin etc actually had the reverse effect on Rocket and made him worse.

After enduring numerous bouts of Big D, bloody stools, throwing up, etc, he was diagnosed with Stress Colitis. We never really knew he was stressed because he acted so normal in all other respects, but the issue surfaced more often than not when he was boarded or if one of us was away for a while on a work trip. After exhausting all of the other possibilities, our vet put him on Tylan with each meal. That solved a big part of the issue. Over time, we have put him on the Precise line of foods, first it was Precise Foundation, then eventually their Senior Food when he started packing on the pounds. We also added Olewo carrots.

Rocket is 10 years old, 87 lbs (he's a big boy) - his meals now look like this -

Breakfast - 1 Cup Precise Senior, 1/2 can of green beans, Olewo Carrots and 2 heaping spoons of Cottage Cheese along with a dash of Springtime Skin and Coat Oil.

Dinner - 2 Cups Precise Senior, Olewo Carots, and a little bit of the Skin and Coat Oil.

For Snacks, he gets a Milk Bone (large one once a day), and some days a Bully Stick for his teeth. If the Bully stick is very thick, I give another Tylan afterward and might cut back a little on the dinner kibble.

Stools are perfect and no tummy issues in a very long time.

It's all about finding what works for your hound, so experimenting with one ingredient change at a time is best. If you add 3 new items, you won't know which of them agree or disagree with him.

Good luck - it takes time, but a slow, methodical approach will get you there.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Without addressing the medical aspect, I can only tell you what has worked for us for years. Everyone, including the seniors, eats Iams Green Bag small bites. In the morning the add-ins are some banana (one, shared by all) and fresh sweet potato (one, shared by all; I nuke three-four at a time and keep in the fridge). At night, the add-ins are home-cooked meatloaf (ground turkey, shredded zucchini, summer squash, spinach and carrots, eggs, oatmeal, sprinkle of garlic) - they get this four nights a week; two nights a week they share TX Toast (not toasted) and a fried egg, and Saturdays are of course Sardine Saturday.

Treats are limited because it works for us - homemade PBBs, Milk Bones (mini's are great for treats), mooshies, Goldfish, and because he has no teeth Trevor gets Pupperoni. Occasionally I use super-nuked hot dogs as training treats.

When I have a picky or failing senior I consult Seamie's list; otherwise, the above is our normal fare. Currently four dogs with beautiful poop. (It's the little things that make me happy :lol)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Lygracilux

If you try it, I would introduce it slowly - not all at once. Some of the things that are suggested for tummy issues like yogurt, pumpkin etc actually had the reverse effect on Rocket and made him worse.

After enduring numerous bouts of Big D, bloody stools, throwing up, etc, he was diagnosed with Stress Colitis. We never really knew he was stressed because he acted so normal in all other respects, but the issue surfaced more often than not when he was boarded or if one of us was away for a while on a work trip. After exhausting all of the other possibilities, our vet put him on Tylan with each meal. That solved a big part of the issue. Over time, we have put him on the Precise line of foods, first it was Precise Foundation, then eventually their Senior Food when he started packing on the pounds. We also added Olewo carrots.

Rocket is 10 years old, 87 lbs (he's a big boy) - his meals now look like this -

Breakfast - 1 Cup Precise Senior, 1/2 can of green beans, Olewo Carrots and 2 heaping spoons of Cottage Cheese along with a dash of Springtime Skin and Coat Oil.

Dinner - 2 Cups Precise Senior, Olewo Carots, and a little bit of the Skin and Coat Oil.

For Snacks, he gets a Milk Bone (large one once a day), and some days a Bully Stick for his teeth. If the Bully stick is very thick, I give another Tylan afterward and might cut back a little on the dinner kibble.

Stools are perfect and no tummy issues in a very long time.

It's all about finding what works for your hound, so experimenting with one ingredient change at a time is best. If you add 3 new items, you won't know which of them agree or disagree with him.

Good luck - it takes time, but a slow, methodical approach will get you there.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will definitely move slow with this. I know he does fine with pasta and ground Turkey, so maybe a week with just that and his W/D will be good to let his tummy settle? Then add in one ingredient at a time, wether it be pumpkinf, yogurt, green beans, potatoes, eggs, oatmeal etc.

I do want to get him the olewo carrots so I'm going to order some to see how he likes them.

Oh and if I do this definitely an additive for his skin.

So is 1 cup kibble to 1-1.5 cups of homemade twice a day sufficient?

Edited by Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Without addressing the medical aspect, I can only tell you what has worked for us for years. Everyone, including the seniors, eats Iams Green Bag small bites. In the morning the add-ins are some banana (one, shared by all) and fresh sweet potato (one, shared by all; I nuke three-four at a time and keep in the fridge). At night, the add-ins are home-cooked meatloaf (ground turkey, shredded zucchini, summer squash, spinach and carrots, eggs, oatmeal, sprinkle of garlic) - they get this four nights a week; two nights a week they share TX Toast (not toasted) and a fried egg, and Saturdays are of course Sardine Saturday.

Treats are limited because it works for us - homemade PBBs, Milk Bones (mini's are great for treats), mooshies, Goldfish, and because he has no teeth Trevor gets Pupperoni. Occasionally I use super-nuked hot dogs as training treats.

When I have a picky or failing senior I consult Seamie's list; otherwise, the above is our normal fare. Currently four dogs with beautiful poop. (It's the little things that make me happy :lol)

Thank you for your input!! That home cooked meatloaf sounds better than anything I eat myself for dinner lol.

You could consult with a veterinary nutritionist

https://www.petdiets.com

Thanks! I will look into this!

You could consult with a veterinary nutritionist

https://www.petdiets.com

Given that the W/D is already a weight management kibble, I might be concerned that the diet isn't 100% nutritionally balanced. As consumers we complain about it, but that's the main reason why commercial kibbles have so many other ingredients added in- to ensure there's balanced amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, protein, carbs, etc. I know there are people on GT who do homecooked diets for their dogs, and when they say "homecooked," it's much more complicated than boiling a protein and rice or pasta. They're grinding up eggshells and cooking down bones in the crock pot to get the right mineral ratios. I'd probably speak with a professional before taking that leap, just because nutritional deficiencies can cause permanent, irreversable problems (liver, kidneys, behavior, all kinds of crazy stuff).

Edited by a_daerr

Mucosy means an upset insides big time. Meals aside, are you doing anything on the side to help with an upset stomach? I would like to recommend some Slippery Elm in powder form if you have access to it (found at health food stores). I feed teaspoons of it mixed with water which makes a slurry, and you just mix it with the food he's eating. Note that his poop will be mucousy coming out with this, but that's by design....what it's doing is coating his insides so that the stomach lining is gaining some protection from some of the stuff that he is consuming. This also lines his throat, bowels, intestines too. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Helpful info -http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/supplements_and_health_care/slippery_elm/index.cfm

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

Given that the W/D is already a weight management kibble, I might be concerned that the diet isn't 100% nutritionally balanced. As consumers we complain about it, but that's the main reason why commercial kibbles have so many other ingredients added in- to ensure there's balanced amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, protein, carbs, etc. I know there are people on GT who do homecooked diets for their dogs, and when they say "homecooked," it's much more complicated than boiling a protein and rice or pasta. They're grinding up eggshells and cooking down bones in the crock pot to get the right mineral ratios. I'd probably speak with a professional before taking that leap, just because nutritional deficiencies can cause permanent, irreversable problems (liver, kidneys, behavior, all kinds of crazy stuff).

Yeah I was reading up some stuff about home cooked. It does seem like a whole lot goes into it and honestly I don't know if I have the time or money to do it all. :/

I think I'm just going to do the pasta and ground Turkey with w/D for about a week just to let his stomach settle.

He has a vet appointment in a week on a half to get his dental done. She said we could talk then about dietry options, but until then what he's on is fine.

Thanks for your input.

Mucosy means an upset insides big time. Meals aside, are you doing anything on the side to help with an upset stomach? I would like to recommend some Slippery Elm in powder form if you have access to it (found at health food stores). I feed teaspoons of it mixed with water which makes a slurry, and you just mix it with the food he's eating. Note that his poop will be mucousy coming out with this, but that's by design....what it's doing is coating his insides so that the stomach lining is gaining some protection from some of the stuff that he is consuming. This also lines his throat, bowels, intestines too. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Helpful info -http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/supplements_and_health_care/slippery_elm/index.cfm

Yeah I'm not doing anything else for his stomach. I'm honestly scared to try anything.

I will look into the slippery elm! Thank you!

Guest Lygracilux

Fwiw--W/D is a balanced complete food and can be fed long-term however, as you know it's low fat so many folks feeding it long-term do add an omega fatty acid.

Thank you! What would be an appropriate omega fatty acid supplement? Like both 3 and a 6?

Would something like this work?

http://www.chewy.com/dog/vetriscience-omega-369-system-health/dp/42653?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=VetriScience&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEtpKTssSOdZnwnSKjyzhvKFQw9Fyh_xog6mZIG3nFv-saAl4l8P8HAQ

Edited by Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

That's a great brand. You could also use Grizzly oil, Welactin (my fav)....

Thank you!! You have seriously been a lifesaver with Fusion-I will never overlook your suggestions haha.

All of you have been so amazing, I would seriously be lost if my GT family didn't exist. So greytful!

Just a quick update:

Fusion is back on kibble: 1 cup W/D and 1 1/4 cup of overcooked pasta and ground turkey. He hasn't had any stomach upset or acid reflux, and probably just passed the best poop I've ever seen him poop (granted it took a day after fasting him). He had all of his normal spunky energy back last night after being lethargic for a few days (:

I think I will keep him on this concoction at least through the holidays just to avoid any unnecessary tummy upset with all the commotion going on. Also he has his first ever dental on the 29th, and I want him to be strong and healthy before that. After that I will figure out where to go from there. In the meantime I may add some green beans, sweet potatoes, pumpkin or other veggies to just bulk up the food a bit-along with the omega supplements mentioned above.

I would eventually like to get him on all dry food again, with added home cooked here and there- and any suggestions on food that may work mixed with the W/D would be awesome. Im thinking a LID food (not NB, never had luck with that)

Maybe Wellness Simple or California Natural? If anyone has tried those food- please let me know. Thanks all!

PS. sorry if this thread is in the wrong form, I didnt know if it was going to be a dietary or medical issues-so I tossed a coin lol.