Microwave Egg Additive

rsieg

I have been feeding Max & Logan one cup kibble and half cup BilJac, a.m. and p.m. Lately they have been getting tired of it so I switched to putting low sodium tuna in, which they like ok but not crazy about it. Then, about a week ago I tried microwaving an egg (30 sec) and putting it in (so each is getting one-half egg) and they LOVE it. But, I'm not sure how much egg they should have, so I have only done it three times so far.

So my question is, how often should I consider doing the egg additive? I'm assuming one per day (which would be 3.5 eggs per dog per week) is too much, but any thoughts on how often is ok?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

One of ours gets 2-3 cooked eggs per day as part of her food, no problem at all. I have had some who might experience a little gas with more than 1/day but current hounds seem to be able to eat any number of them with no noxious effects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well I'll prolly be flammed but both Toby, Minny, and Gilly Boy I have given 4 eggs to on Sat & Sunday when I cook them breakfast(none M-Fri). Theywere/are big guys ~80 lbs +. Smaller dogs get fewer eggs but most all get at least 2. Never hurt any of them. They also get sausage or bacon or beef patty and toast with it and sometimes fried potatos or grits as well. We just like our country breakfasts on the weekends!

Logan had diarrhea last night, Max was fine. Not sure if it was the 1/2 egg, I'm guessing not since Max was fine (had the other half of the same egg) and Logan did not have that problem the couple times before that I gave them an egg. I'll hold off until Logan is normal again before trying another egg and that should let me know for sure.

Wonder if anyone have ever done cholesterol studies in greyhounds :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

• 4 weeks later...

There is no need to cook the egg. I would caution you, however, on giving them add-ins. If you ENJOY doing it, fine, but you are, in MY opinion, creating fussy eaters if you "switch it up" any time they're slow to gobble up their food.

If you have an elderly or sick dog who is picky--that's one thing. Feed them anything they'll eat. But for normal, healthy dogs, I don't care to be held hostage to their whims--but that's just me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When the weather is nice I give each of my boys a raw egg outsides in the yard. They run and play with them until they break and than eat the whole thing shell and all. That's lots of fun for them.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

There is no need to cook the egg. I would caution you, however, on giving them add-ins. If you ENJOY doing it, fine, but you are, in MY opinion, creating fussy eaters if you "switch it up" any time they're slow to gobble up their food.

If you have an elderly or sick dog who is picky--that's one thing. Feed them anything they'll eat. But for normal, healthy dogs, I don't care to be held hostage to their whims--but that's just me.

I think I lost the battle on getting held hostage when Max stopped eating in the kitchen because he is nervous Logan will come over and nose his way into Max' dish. Now I take Max' dish into the bedroom so he can eat with the door closed. Every morning, every evening :-)

Rob

Raw eggs are more fun! They have to figure out what to do with them. I had one dog who carried his first egg from place to place all day. I had to confine him to tile floors. My sick senior would only eat burgers, scambled eggs, or ensure her last week. DO NOT EVER make a scrambled egg with vanilla ensure. The smell drove me out of the house! I had to hand feed her in front of the open window, gagging until it was gone. She loved it!

Raw eggs are more fun! They have to figure out what to do with them. I had one dog who carried his first egg from place to place all day. I had to confine him to tile floors. My sick senior would only eat burgers, scambled eggs, or ensure her last week. DO NOT EVER make a scrambled egg with vanilla ensure. The smell drove me out of the house! I had to hand feed her in front of the open window, gagging until it was gone. She loved it!

So you give them the whole egg, in the shell without cracking it first? I could see where that could be very fun, but also very messy if they take it onto the carpet to break it. Is there any concern about salmonella or a canine equivalent? I guess some people eat raw eggs so it should be ok, but I'm a city guy who assumes chicken comes weighed and saran wrapped so what do I know :-)

Rob

Raw eggs are fine! So are the shells!

My hounds eat a raw mixture (local producer) that has whole raw eggs/shells in it.

If you are worried about your carpet, give it to him outside.

FYI...

Eggnog - a very popular beverage at Christmas... is made with raw eggs :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll prolly be flammed but both Toby, Minny, and Gilly Boy I have given 4 eggs to on Sat & Sunday when I cook them breakfast(none M-Fri). Theywere/are big guys ~80 lbs +. Smaller dogs get fewer eggs but most all get at least 2. Never hurt any of them. They also get sausage or bacon or beef patty and toast with it and sometimes fried potatos or grits as well. We just like our country breakfasts on the weekends!

Yep, sounds like Sunday brunch at our house back in the good ole days. Sobe could take down 4 eggs (over easy, thank you), toast, and my leftover sausage no prob. Diana, less because she's a dainty lady! Oh, she prefers hers scrambled.

Oh a regular basis (not a weekend splurge), I'd have no issue giving any dog an egg per day. It's a perfect protein. If you get one that will eat the shell - even better. Mine liked hard-boiled, in the shell. I only gave those outside in nice weather. MESSY!!! But good fun!