Anybody Train Their Grey To Lick?

Guest coloratura113

Guest coloratura113

My girl's not a licker!

She's a bit of a slow learner... but she can be taught! Some tricks she struggles with more than others. She got "shake" almost immediately! But play dead...... meh lol. I would love to teach her to lick and give kisses! But it's turning out to be TOUGH.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Greys are so damn stubborn. -.-

I personally dislike licking, so I've never tried to teach it, but...

I'd probably use a smell (like peanut butter, or canned dog food) and apply it to where I want her to lick. Not an actual amount of food she could get, but just the scent. Then when she licks the spot I'd click and give her a treat. Rinse and repeat, name the behaviour (or put a visual cue) and fade out the yummy smell.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I personally dislike licking, so I've never tried to teach it, but...

I'd probably use a smell (like peanut butter, or canned dog food) and apply it to where I want her to lick. Not an actual amount of food she could get, but just the scent. Then when she licks the spot I'd click and give her a treat. Rinse and repeat, name the behaviour (or put a visual cue) and fade out the yummy smell.

I think that is what the trainers in the old TV shows and movies did. :)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Maybe if you understand that a dog licking you doesn't actually represent a kiss in the way we humans view it, it won't seem terribly important?

But yeah--something sticky and tasty on your skin should do it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We taught Marvin to "pound it" by putting a dab of peanut butter on our knuckles and putting out a fist to do a fist bump, where he touches his nose to our fist (kids find this to be the funniest thing...). It took him months to stop licking our knuckles while doing his new trick. He's not a big licker generally, but he will usually give you a big sloppy smooch if you ask him for a kiss and make "kissy noises".

It took Capri a couple years before she would kiss me (licking). I didn't really train her so much as just encourage the behavior so she gradually did it more and more. She jumps up on the window seat behind me when I sit there to take my shoes off or put them on. So up there when we're eye to eye, she would give me little nose touches like a cat. Then one day she did a little lick on my cheek. Now she kisses me all the time and I smooch her on the muzzle or cheek.

There is some kind of affection behavior where dogs lick each other on the muzzle. Licking anywhere else is just grooming. Some dogs take it to ocd levels when they lick obsessively. I don't like that.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Interesting idea to teach a dog to lick. I too am not a person who wants a dog licking. I don't buy the idea that their mouths are cleaner than ours. After all, they lick in places on their bodies I can't even see on myself! LOL If my dog did lick, I would not allow it. I'm wondering why you want your baby to do it? And if I ever meet you -- LOLOL -- please don't let her lick me. :)

Edited by Feisty49

I don't mind a sweet lick or two, but I hate obsessive lickers. (I already said that, I know.) And never, EVER lick on my mouth - ew! It grosses me out when I see people mouth-kiss a dog.

After describing Capri's heart-melting kisses, I should also mention that Ajax is a hand-kisser in true gentleman style. He never kisses on the face, only backs of hands. Chivalry is not dead... :wub:

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest chickenpotpie

with Lucky, She's got a streak in her that sometimes, she'll stare at me for a really long time Then she gets "that look". Next thing you know a big long L-I-C-K from ,my chin to my hairline. Granted the dog knows I hate that...lol and I think she does it mainly because she finds it funny.

Thankfully she only does this once in a blue moon, and I don't encourage it by any means (hey she's my dog and I know where her tongue has been!)

Guest xengab

No. But my cat taught my grey to place his nose to my nose to "kiss". So whenever he does it now I remember my kitty fondly. 4 months with the dog and kitty taught him so much.

Tiber isn't a licker..LOL

• 4 weeks later...