Strange Thunderstorm Interactions

Guest Muscovy

Guest Muscovy

Hi folks,

I'm noticing some strange behaviours between my two pups during thunderstorms.

Diva (8yo kelpie x whippet girl) is very afraid of thunder and won't settle - she will sit with me for a bit, then walk to her dad, then walk around the house, then repeat. We've tried thunder shirts and doggie Valium to calm her but they don't help.

Anyway, our boy Laddie (4yo grey) has been with us for a year, and in the last few months during storms he's taken to following Diva around in very close proximity during storms. His nose will be almost touching her back.

This drives her crazy, she stops and turns to him and snarls in a serious way. He doesn't usually react when she does this, but he doesn't get the message either, and when she stops snarling he just carries on following her and the pattern repeats.

I'm worried about it escalating as last storm he barked back at her and they both got quite stirred up (not vicious, but definitely heightened). I separated them but I won't always be home to do that.

I'm just wondering why hefollows her around so close like that and why he doesn't get the hint when she tells him to back off? Is there anything I can do for either of them, training wise?

Your kelpie is anxious and your greyhound is sensing this - not in a good way. Do not allow this behavior to continue, in my opinion.

If the first medication didn't helpyour dog there are many more you can try. Trazadone has ben a godsend for our thunderphobic dogs. Plus there are homeopathic remedies like l-theanine, Zylkene, DAP diffusers, Rescue Remedy, lavendar oil, and various chews and commercial products that are in the class of might not help but probably won't hurt to try.

I would definitely be separating them or crating them when you are not there to supervise.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Your kelpie is anxious and your greyhound is sensing this - not in a good way. Do not allow this behavior to continue, in my opinion.

If the first medication didn't helpyour dog there are many more you can try. Trazadone has ben a godsend for our thunderphobic dogs. Plus there are homeopathic remedies like l-theanine, Zylkene, DAP diffusers, Rescue Remedy, lavendar oil, and various chews and commercial products that are in the class of might not help but probably won't hurt to try.

I would definitely be separating them or crating them when you are not there to supervise.

:nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Muscovy

But when you say don't allow the behaviour to continue - whose behaviour do you mean?

I know my girl is anxious, and know Laddie is picking up on this (he's anxious too), but I don't know which dog is doing the wrong thing! And I don't know why he follows her around like that - is he trying to stay near her to reassure himself, or what?

She's top dog.

Guest Muscovy

Oh, forgot to mention, I do not use a crate for either dog. I don't actually own one. It's not really done very much in Australia for some reason. Regardless, Laddie has damage to the back of his teeth from biting...well, something...the vet assumed it was a crate or wire mesh cage/kennel that he must have been kept in previously, so I don't want to go there with him.

We do use a baby gate successfully on the staircase to restrict access to the upstairs rooms though, which is fine. So upstairs/downstairs is an option, but unfortunately I can be with them both in that instance. Hmmm.

But when you say don't allow the behaviour to continue - whose behaviour do you mean?

I know my girl is anxious, and know Laddie is picking up on this (he's anxious too), but I don't know which dog is doing the wrong thing! And I don't know why he follows her around like that - is he trying to stay near her to reassure himself, or what?

She's top dog.

It's not about one or the other doing the wrong thing and it doesn't really matter why he's following her. She's already anxious about the storms, she's giving clear indications that she doesn't like him following her (ie. it's increasing her stress) so you need to manage it so it doesn't happen.

Ideally you get her anxiety dealt with. Trazodone really does seem to be more effective for many dogs that Xanax or Valium, and you've also got all the natural calming agents that Chris mentioned that you can try in the meantime or in addition to a new medication.

Until you have that sorted out and she can relax, I would keep them separated when there are storms or you won't be home and suspect there will be storms. Since they're already used to the baby gate, easy enough to use that.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Muscovy

Thanks NeylasMom. I will have a chat to the vet about trying the suggested medication, and I might also look into a DAP diffuser. As mentioned - it might not help much given her extreme anxiety, but it can't hurt, and might be a good backup to the Mx.

I also found this article online which I think will be really helpful for us (I find it much easier to train for/against stuff if I understand the logic behind the methods) - it's in relation to fear of fireworks, but the principles are the same. So I'll see if I can find some thunderstorm audio to work with - perhaps iTunes? Hmm.

http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/2015/06/30/fear-fireworks-neuroplasticity-what-you-should-never-do-when-your-dog-is-afraid/

You're right - it doesn't really matter why he's following her around if I can treat her anxiety successfully. But if not, I'd like to know what the motivation is so that I can address it with him. It's weird behaviour for him - it looks almost like a prey drive response, or that sort of intense play mode that some greys get when allowed to play with unfamiliar dogs, which I've never seen from him before (but recognise from my last grey who was Mr PreyDrive).

Edited by Muscovy

There are CDs made specifically for desensitizing dogs to thunderstorms. Pretty sure Sophia Yin made one, and there are others you should be able to find. The potential problem is it's not the noise for all dogs. There are changes in the environment that dogs can pick up on, which is why many stormphobic dogs get scared before the storm ever hits. So if you see that with your dog, desensitizing to the sounds may help and certainly can't hurt, but it may not completely address the issue. A bed next to the bathtub with calming agents of some sort on board and plenty of PR (you delivering treats or a stuffed kong, etc. if she'll eat) should help.

I get the wanting to understand the why - I'm very much the same. I'm just not sure that here you're going to be able to figure that out. Given what you've said, my best guess is that he finds her behavior concerning or worrisome for some reason. It may be because the behavior seems abnormal, or it may be because he is picking up on her anxiety. Regardless, you want to interrupt the behavior and redirect him to something more appropriate. Stuffed kongs are your friend. ;) If you're unable to do that through redirecting him or keeping them separated calming aids may be the next?step for him.