What Does Playing Look Like?

Guest alaskamike

Guest alaskamike

I have an 11 month old greyhound and a six month old westie. Generally, we keep them separated but sometimes I will let them play together. The westie usually runs for the closest chair or other furniture that she can hide under. When she comes out from cover, they nip each other on the lips and ears, which looks bad but I rarely hear either one of them cry. I've also seen the greyhound pin the westie with his paw or trap her between his front paws and then pin her with his chest.

Is this normal play behavior? I had dogs when I was a kid, but they were closer in size and were more likely to run around the yard than nip.

Thanks.

Mike

I have 2 greys... they usually chase each other around the yard when playing... and they (the male) sometimes nips the female in the butt when he chases her down. But neither one pins the there. Then again, they are the same size.

Anyone else here have 2 different breed dogs that can chime in?

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Kili loves to play and she loves to play rough. Here are some examples over the past 3 years.

28 week old Kili playing with a couple of other similar aged and sized puppies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFT629G1iM

5 month old Kili playing with a similar sized dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FHnRC9OI8

9 month old Kili playing with a 17 month old Standard poodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwDoA3ba-tk

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Not sure why it didn't want to let me post this last video, so going to try in a separate message.

2.5 year old Kili playing with a 6 month old small breed puppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5rG74ORzc

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest MarieKlaus

My Grey Klaus and I live in a basement suite. My sister lives upstairs with her female Standard Poodle, female Mini Bull Terrier and neutered Maltese cross. Klaus plays with all of them, but we limit the numbers. It's okay when he plays with one or both females, but get them all together and it gets crazy. The little Maltese is a real trouble maker... LOL! You should see him run with the MBT in the yard... hilarious!

The greyhound, though more than a year old, is still very much a puppy, and will have difficulty in moderating his level of play to suit the much smaller Westie pup. There was nothing my greyhound puppy loved that to wrestle with her brother, and even now, it can sound like WWIII in my yard when my three adult size greyhounds get on a roll. I would definitely not allow your two to play unsupervised and very carefully monitor the Westie for sign of distress - hiding, snapping, aggressive body language. It will only take one playful bite by your Grey to cause severe injury for the Westie.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If you can take video and post it, that would be helpful. I would say it's likely your grey is playing though there isn't enough info to say for sure, but I can say with near certainty that the Westie isn't enjoying it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I meant to also say, the easiest way to figure it out is to do a bully test. When this is going on, grab your Grey's collar and just hold her away from whatever furniture the Westie is under and see what the Westie does. If she doesn't pretty immediately re-engage with your grey, she's not having fun.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Krissy, I just watched the Kili and Roo video. Adorable. :wub:

This coincidentally just happened tonight. How do you temper play when there's a size difference? One dog being on the couch works. :P

Ha! Cute! That's how Kili plays with puppies and small dogs in the house. I guess it's universal!

I'm actually always quite impressed with how appropriate and gentle Kili is with smaller/younger dogs. She plays really rough with dogs of similar size, but frequently lays down on the ground to play with the little ones.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest alaskamike

Thanks for all of the input. The video of Kili and Roo is pretty similar to how my dogs play. As far as the westie being scared or not enjoying herself, she is usually the instigator. If I grab the greyhound's collar to separate them, the westie usually come after him to keep playing. I'm just looking forward to the day when they can be in the same room and relaxed!

Mike

Thanks for all of the input. The video of Kili and Roo is pretty similar to how my dogs play. As far as the westie being scared or not enjoying herself, she is usually the instigator. If I grab the greyhound's collar to separate them, the westie usually come after him to keep playing. I'm just looking forward to the day when they can be in the same room and relaxed!

Mike

My puppy just turned four years old. I'll let you know when she calms down! :lol

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mike

Ah, okay, well then it sounds like she may just be using the furniture to give herself breaks. Usually when a dog hides like that it's because they're trying to get away. You could still share video. :)