AnneGTS Posted December 9, 2015 Share Posted December 9, 2015 Between December 2014 and May 2015 Sasha was fostered in a family that had multiple dogs. We adopted Sasha May 2015. It turnes out one of the dogs at her previous foster home has giardia. Sasha visited her foster home for an afternoon 2 months ago. Sasha played with some of the dogs a month ago at the dog park. The dog with Giardia visited us 2 weeks ago (the dog had diarrhea at the time but they didn't know it was Giardia). 2 other dogs from the same foster home visited us twice last week. If I understand correctly there are 2 forms of Giardia: active form (not very contagious) and the inactive form (very contagious). The dog that already has Giardia has the inactive form. Sasha has no diarrhea and seems to be in perfect health. The vet of the dog with Giardia says we should test Sasha to see if she has Giardia too. Because she has no diarrhea, she probably doesn't have the inactive form, but could have the active form, which eventually could develop into the inactive form. The foster family sounded a little worried, and explained that if a dog has the inactive form, it's not easy to ger rid of, you have to do lots of cleaning, avoid other dogs etc. We just called our vet. They told us we could deworm Sasha, or wait to see if she gets diarrhea. We could also test Sasha for Giardia, but they didn't sound very convinced. So it seems like our own vet is not worried, while the vet of the other dog is very worried. Should we test Sasha just to be sure? Is Giardia a severe disease or can we just wait until she might get symptoms? Quote Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009) www.sighthoundgoodies.com Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.