New In North Carolina

Guest Grey_copilot

Guest Grey_copilot

Evening All! I adopted Kessler, my 1st greyhound, on Friday morning 04 December from Project Racing Home in Randall NC. I can't say enough about their Organization. They took their time to match me with a hound that would meet my unique situation. You see, Kessler and I share a 5th wheel recreational vehicle, and he will (likely) be an only boy. I am already finding out that 300 square feet needs to be managed carefully with a 65 lb hound!

I have been a fan of the breed for over 15 years, but every time I considered adopting, life got in the way: military deployments, kids, transfers, kids college, etc,etc, etc...Finally took the plunge with Kessler. He is a red fawn 2.5 years old male, with 18 races under his belt. Seems he liked to hang out in the middle of the pack with his buds...

So here we are on day 3, and we have had relatively good luck so far! 1st night was kinda tough, but we got through it. Day 2 we started him on a schedule of walks every 2 hours with a 30 minute walk. Also spent about 30 minutes in 1 of the 2 dog parks we have here, chasing his squeak ball. by the time it was time for bed, he was good and tired. We have had several walks so far today, and he is looking pretty tired again, so fingers are crossed that tonight will also be a non-event. I go back to work this week, but will see him daily for lunch, and then back for dinner.

A huge thank you for everybody who has contributed to this site. I have both Livingood and Brannigan's book, and while they were excellent works to educate about the breed, raising and training, this site answered the OTHER 6000 other questions I had about the best food/beds/toys/meds/etc. I know I will continue to have more questions as I go forward with Kessler, and I look forward to someday meeting some of you in person.

Cheers

Brian

:welcome2 Hi Brian! What part of NC are you in? We're by Camp Lejeune.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Welcome from southern Delaware. We traveled, for a while, with 3 greyhounds in a 30 ft trailer.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Grey_copilot

I live in Wade, just outside of Fayetteville. Will be here for quite a while. Have been previously stationed here twice (9 yrs total in uniform; 5 years for this contract). Are there any greyhound events here in NC?

Cheers

Brian

Welcome to GT, Brian and Kessler! :wave There's a wealth of info on this site. I have done a lot of traveling with greys in my 30 foot motorhome. Figured out a way to put up fencing for a "gated community" as my friends call it,so they can be off leash for awhile outside. They're wonderful travelers. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Hi Brian,

I live in Charlotte,NC with my 3 year old grey Millie. Welcome to the world of greyhounds.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

3 greys in 30 ft?!? Very impressive! Our ballet at the moment is rather rough, especially in the kitchen!

It was cramped, especially at bed time. Somebody was always stepping on somebody.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You got Kessler? I love Kessler! He was one of my favorites at the kennel - such a handsome and sweet guy. And that smile! I was a little sad when I got there Saturday and he was already adopted and gone. Well, sad probably isn't right... Happy he got adopted, but I missed seeing his grin! I hope you'll post a picture or two of him sometime! He's a great boy.

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest Sportingfields

Welcome and congratulations! We full time RV'd with 3 Greyhounds, 32' motor home with no slides. No problems at all. Everyone needs to figure out their space and learn 'out of the kitchen' when you cook :) If you ever feel daunted, google Gilley's Dancing Greyhounds. Kathleen & Gil full timed for 20 years with 5-6 Greyhounds and traveled the country. Kathleen passed away a few years back but they left a life long legacy in the Greyhound community.

Guest Grey_copilot

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Looking forward to the learning curve.

@Roo: I know how you feel. I made 3 trips to PRH to find a match. During a play date with Kessler, I met another couple who had adopted one of the brindles I wanted. While I was bummed I missed my chance, I was happy for the couple. Besides, I then got Kessler...

I got a teeth chatter today from Kessler as I came in for lunch. Initially unnerving, but amazing to watch. Day 1 of my work schedule, and all went well....Fingers crossed for tomorrow and the future...

Brian

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Looking forward to the learning curve.

@Roo: I know how you feel. I made 3 trips to PRH to find a match. During a play date with Kessler, I met another couple who had adopted one of the brindles I wanted. While I was bummed I missed my chance, I was happy for the couple. Besides, I then got Kessler...

I got a teeth chatter today from Kessler as I came in for lunch. Initially unnerving, but amazing to watch. Day 1 of my work schedule, and all went well....Fingers crossed for tomorrow and the future...

Brian

I feel this way often - ha! Can't have a grey of my own at the moment, so I volunteer. I fall in love with some of the special ones then miss them when they go, but I'm happy they have their new homes. I get so excited when I see their new people post here or on the Facebook group - I love seeing how they're doing! Glad your first work day went well - that's always so nerve wracking.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Welcome from Germany. Kessler sounds like a sweet boy. Do you perhaps have a photo to share?

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Welcome to you and Kessler. Walking not only makes a tired and happy dog, it helps forge a bond. You're now the buds hanging out in the middle of the pack. :)

Kitchen ballet -- My greys are not highly trained (cough cough cough) but the one command I teach from day one is OUT!

Events -- Project Racing Home and Greyhound Friends of NC have big get-togethers at the kennels during the year, I think. For regional events close to you, there's Sandy Paws on Jekyll Island in Georgia, Beach Bound hounds in Myrtle Beach, and Mountain Bound Hounds in Gatlinburg TN.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Grey_copilot

@EllenEveBaz and @Roo Great ideas!! I am all about the travel, and (so far) Kessler is too.

@ Smurfette: Much thanks for the welcome. Trying to get a pic in, but having tech difficulty in getting down to 60 kb. Where in GE are you from? Did an absolutely WONDERFUL tour in Stuttgart for 60 months prior to my military retirement. Did Octoberfest and Christmas; really sad to leave.....

@Mistysmom and @Sportingfields: Thanks for the kind words. Kessler is fixated on the kitchen, and the treats that come out of the fridge!. "Out" may be the next command he learns!

Multiple greyhounds in an RV....Wow, I have much to learn.....

Brian