Possible New Totw Problem?

JohnF

I just thought I ought to let people know...

I transitioned Peggy over to TOTW High Prairie a few months ago and she loved it and thrived on it. Now with this most recent bag she turns her nose up at it, has gone back to 'pudding poops', and become more laggy on walks. I'm not prepared to ignore this, so am gradually phasing it out and am down to about 60:40 with another brand. She's up to date on worming and some improvements are being seen.

So just in case this is also affecting your dog, the bag had Production Code:

Best By 29/Apr/2016 51190G

HEU0498C1M 09:19.

Many if not most of the companies routinely change their formulations so this is not surprising. The other thing is, I believe TOTW is made at the infamous Diamond plant in MO so it would not be surprising to me for there to be some kind of quality control issue. Even if quite a few folks have problems they won't own up to it unless it creates a real bad and real large problem which forces them to respond. JMO.

Guest Lygracilux

This wasnt recent but, when we first adopted Fusion we put him on TOTW Pacific Stream, and he did really well on it (minus hooks and some sores which we later found out was a salmon allergy) Anywho, we went to get a new bag one day and then all of his digestive issues started. After one day of breakfast and supper from the new bag- he vomited violently for 3 days, and had diarrhea that took months to get under control (hooks didnt help, and being sensitve to a lot of other foods didnt help). I cant say for sure it was the TOTW but....I will never go back to it again.

Edit: We tried going back to it once more with a new bag cause he used to do so well on it, thinking maybe it was just a bad batch...and he stuck his nose up to it and Fusion eats ANYTHING. He reluctantly ate it, but threw it up within minutes. Yeahhh

Edited by Lygracilux

Mine eat the High Prairie formula and just started a new bag yesterday. So far I haven't noticed anything off but it never hurts to be on the lookout.

Interesting. I just got a new bag and started the girls on it. Tanzi is fine but Emma's down for the count. She has severe diarrhea. She's going to the vets tomorrow. It's the High Prairie.

Oh dear.... and one of the popular on-line UK suppliers (petplanet) appears to have de-listed High Prairie, which is why I recently changed to a different on-line supplier which still listed it. There are other 2014/15 complaints on the net when you look, and I really hope this isn't something big brewing. I just hate it when I lose confidence in a kibble and all the more so when the dog has a sensitive stomach like Peggy does. The only thing I can gather from the manufacturer is that they have changed the probitotic ingredients. Unseen mold on sweet potato is always a worry though, but one always hopes the manufacturer worries enough too.

Edit: Here's a link with a bunch of Amazon customers commenting on the problem....

Edited by JohnF

Guest mgodwin

I really hope this is a one off sort of thing. Ginny love TOTW High Prairie but I'm running low and will need to get a new bag soon. Looking at the comments on Amazon it looks like it may be an issue with expired food when buying from there. But that doesn't mean that's the only thing going on and I don't think OP mentioned buying off of Amazon either.

Guest HeatherLee

YES! OMG I just went through this. I just want to shake TOTW because they're food was working so good for so long! I was feeding Pacific stream, plus a bit of canned to my hound and he was doing great. Then about two months ago.. pudding poos.. gas.. weight gain.. taking forever to poop.. I know they switched probiotics awhile ago, so maybe some of those bags have just made it to stores? I did notice that the cans labels changed to "great new taste!"... I've temporarily switched to Earthborn.. but I'm 99% sure I'm just going to go raw now because I can't find the right food again and I just want to pull my hair out.

Oh dear.... and one of the popular on-line UK suppliers (petplanet) appears to have de-listed High Prairie, which is why I recently changed to a different on-line supplier which still listed it. There are other 2014/15 complaints on the net when you look, and I really hope this isn't something big brewing. I just hate it when I lose confidence in a kibble and all the more so when the dog has a sensitive stomach like Peggy does. The only thing I can gather from the manufacturer is that they have changed the probitotic ingredients. Unseen mold on sweet potato is always a worry though, but one always hopes the manufacturer worries enough too.

Edit: Here's a link with a bunch of Amazon customers commenting on the problem....

"one always hopes the manufacturer worries enough too". If Purina is the one that bought them than trust me they are not concerned (much less worried) about anything but cheapening the formula so they can make more money. They were actually caught adding bovine meat to bovine feed at 1 mill-despite it being illegal due to the 'mad cow' brain disease it can spread.

"one always hopes the manufacturer worries enough too". If Purina is the one that bought them than trust me they are not concerned (much less worried) about anything but cheapening the formula so they can make more money. They were actually caught adding bovine meat to bovine feed at 1 mill-despite it being illegal due to the 'mad cow' brain disease it can spread.

I think Diamond Pet Foods bought TOTW, not sure if they're part of anything bigger. My suspect bag of TOTW came from Zooplus, which is a European based outfit, but it was well within expiry code. As I've lost confidence, Peggy's going go onto a UK brand (that I can more easily return), most likely Barking Heads Golden Years Senior (as it doesn't have peas or sweet potatoes which always worry me in case of mold), or perhaps Canagan duck, venison and rabbit which is more like TOTW and not so many carbs, but more expensive. She's actually been having the Canagan as treats and late snacks for quite a while so is used to that and also the Barking heads which she's 60% onto at present. A real unecessary thing to happen - why can't Diamond and other big firms keep their damn pet food stable?

Guest HeatherLee

They have added peas to it recently, I know. :P. I still have older bags. So yes the formula has changed.

Ahhhh.. that I didn't know.. I swear I read the labels.. Must have missed that. I wonder if that's what my dogs prop was.. their poop was a little green...

Guest Sportingfields

Just tossing this out, I've been feeding Eukanuba small bite maintenance for 7 years without a problem. They get dry kibble in the AM & mixed with a bit of Pedigree canned & 2 tbsp of water in the PM. Never had runny stool, tummy issues or gas. Average nice firm poo 3 x's daily, pretty much they go on schedule. I've had 4 different dogs on this food over the course of 7 years with the same results for each pup.

There are as many opinions on what to feed, as to the amounts of brands to buy and + and - opinions on all. Sorry for all whom have a pup sicken on their food or treats

• 3 weeks later...
Guest k9soul

Well this latest bag I got of ToTW, my hounds have been very gassy on, so I will be trying something else I think. They had been doing well on it previously but lately I feel like I need a gas mask. I'm going to give Pioneer Naturals a try. I've recently heard some good stuff about it and I'm curious to see if they digest it easier with some of the freeze-dried ingredients in it.