The Dreaded Hooks

Wolfie have been with us almost three weeks. He goes to the vet on Friday for his first wellness check up (yes, that sounds like a long time, but I wanted to make sure he was staying and didn't eat the cats before we did all the official stuff). Due to some poop-related stuff and tummy gurgles, I have the sneaking suspicion that he has some type of parasite. The kennel he came from said not to be surprised if he came up positive for hooks, as many greyhound tracks are dealing with them. Also, he came from Daytona, which would make sense.

If that's the case, is Drontal Plus still A1 in terms of hookworm dewormer? What is the timeline for treating and re-treating? We do monthly heartworm preventative, which should cover hooks. Do Truman and/or the cats need to be treated too? I want to be as aggressive as possible in getting rid of these stupid things.

There are a few de-worming protocols that are pretty effective against hookworms. The one protocol I find very helpful is weekly doses of strongid t-over a 6 week period. Recheck stool 2 weeks after the last dosing. I would submit Truman's stool to be checked but, wouldn't treatt unless positive or has become symptomatic. No worries about your kitty.

Edited because I do my best spell checking after I post :-)

Edited by tbhounds

Very good information in this thread regarding hook worms, treatment, and why they sometimes come back after treatment.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/313341-larval-leak-syndrome-hookworms/

This is also known as larval migrans.

You may want to use a baseball catcher's stance and catch his stool in a bag before it hits the ground. Hooks spread very easily to other dogs.

Good luck, they are so frustrating to treat.

Guest CleverJason

Baron had hookworms when I first got him. The vet prescribed Panacur, which worked quickly and got rid of the parasite. I would be sure to get him checked by a vet first, though...it's not uncommon for new greyhounds to have some gastric discomfort while they're adjusting to new surroundings.

I've found Stongid liquid dewormer to be the most cost-effective method of treating....... I've had to shop around to find a vet that carries it. I've had several greyhounds that have had "larval leak" and the use of Strongid every three weeks, and the monthly heartworm prevention has kept things in check.... i.e. firmer stools, no more "pudding poop"!

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

the only thing that kept my dogs clear of hookworms in the past was after worming, and reworming...IVEMECTIN! in the form of interceptor..that was the best hw/worm preventative on the market. i've heard it's back again...can this be helpful? i also am crazy and bleach areas where the infected dogs poop.

I followed Tracey's protocol when Brady had hooks. Took forever to finally get him cleared, but he was already old and had health issues. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• 1 month later...

Another positive fecal for hooks. :riphair We did Strongid T the first time and had two negative fecals following that treatment. Now we're back to square one. Everything I thought I knew is going out the window. Any advice on whether to do it again, but for a longer duration? Maybe switch to Drontal Plus?

Chronic or recurrent hookworms is usually due to either reinfection from the yard, or a phenomenon called larval leak syndrome. Basically, hookworms larva can exist in a latent form in the tissues, and when they are dewormed and the GI tract is cleared of worms, those larva in the tissues come out and reinfect the intestines. If there are a large number of latent larva present in the tissues, this will happen over and over again, so repeated deworming is needed to clear the infestation.

I usually use a pyrantel product (Strongid-T) every 2 weeks, but any product that is effective against hookworms will work. If using a heartworm product that also covers hooks, I deworm in the middle of the month, between HW doses, with a pyrantel product. So between the HW preventative and the pyrantel, they are getting dewormed roughly every 2 weeks. I continue this for at least 3 months.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It took us a year to finally get a negative test. We finally cured hooks by doing Stongid-T 5 days in a row, wait 3 weeks, another 5 days, wait 3 weeks, another 5 days, retest after 3 weeks (so 3 rounds of 5 days). Then we retested monthly for 3 months and and then at 6 months.

Thankfully our other greyhound was on a heartworm that also prevented hooks so she never got then. We also scooped poop immediately. I think scooping immediately and winter finally coming helped keep her from being reinfected.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013