Walking Gingerly And Large Red Splotch On Inner Thigh

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest lovnmygreys

Has anyone ever seen anything similar before? Al was fine earlier today but it was like all of the sudden he was walking very gingerly. He laid down and my husband was checking out his legs when he found large red splotches on his inner thighs. They almost look like deep red bruises. We never saw him fall or bump into anything. He's usually a drama queen, so I would think we would have heard him if he'd been hurt.

He did find a tick on him, but from everything that I've read, Lyme is usually on one side and will switch to the other (in lameness). The splotches are nowhere near the site of the tick.

I'm just worried about him. Something is obviously not right. :(

Hopefully it will just be bruising of an unknown origin.

Take pictures. Circle the bruised area with a Sharpie pen so you can judge if it increases.

On the bad side it could be immune mediated thrombocytopenia or a staph infection.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Watch it closely for the bruising to spread. Is it sore to the touch? You might try some warm compresses (or cold ones if it's been awhile) if he'll let you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Are the bruises getting larger? He could have internal bleeding. Leg bruising was a sign we missed when John E had a tumor on his spleen. Please get your dog to the vet asap.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest lovnmygreys

Back from the vet. His platelets are WAY down and he has a soft heart murmur. They are doing a senior profile on him and should have those results tomorrow. He's on prednisone and they will check him again on Thursday. :( My poor boy. He did mention immune mediated thrombocytopenia as a possibility. Now we wait and see. :-/

Al is such a gentleman. He stood still for all of the poking and prodding and kissed the tech. I love my boy.

What were the platelet numbers? Greyhound range is 80,000-200,000 per Dr Stack or 110,000-205,000 per Dr Couto.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest lovnmygreys

What were the platelet numbers? Greyhound range is 80,000-200,000 per Dr Stack or 110,000-205,000 per Dr Couto.

He said 76 in the office test, but when he did the smear test he didn't see any platelets. Another reason he wanted to send the blood work out to double check everything.

He told me that low normal was in the 140's?

Check out www.greythealth.com

That's Dr Stack's site. Print out some of the articles and give them to your vet. ;)

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor baby boy & such a concern for you. :(

Back from the vet. His platelets are WAY down and he has a soft heart murmur.

Do you mean way down compared to his prior lab work? Or do you mean the lab norms? For my dogs, I care more about how things compare to their own personal norms. Either way, it is very good the work to have the follow up work done. Sending good thoughts. Hope your boy feels better quickly & the news isn't bad.

Guest lovnmygreys

Way down compared to norms. When he said that low normal is in the 140's and Al was in the 70's I just assumed that was a crazy low number. Sorry. Didn't mean to be dramatic. I'm just so worried about him. He's resting comfortably now, under his blankie with a heater running near by.

Greyhound platelets will clump together and are hard to count accurately with the automated methods. Ask your vet to have the lab do a manual count which should give a more accurate result.

Greyhound platelets will clump together and are hard to count accurately with the automated methods. Ask your vet to have the lab do a manual count which should give a more accurate result.

Thank you Mary Jane. I'll talk to the vet tomorrow.

Has the bruising area spread?

tiny hada siggy.png

Daisy had the same symptoms and Dr. Couto diagnosed her with thrombocytopenia. She was started on Doxycycline at the specialty center and her platelets starting rising. Her count was in the 40-50 range if I remember correctly. Seriously low. We didn't think she would pull through and she did! Dr. Couto kept her on Doxy for like 6 weeks or longer as he thought TBD has something to do with it also. Keep us posted...

Way down compared to norms. When he said that low normal is in the 140's and Al was in the 70's I just assumed that was a crazy low number. Sorry. Didn't mean to be dramatic. I'm just so worried about him. He's resting comfortably now, under his blankie with a heater running near by.

You didn't sound dramatic. Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that. You've every reason to be worried. I'd feel the same way. Hang in there.

Please run a tick borne disease test before continuing with the pred. The pred will suppress the immune system-not something you want to do if they have a tick borne disease.

Edited to add-really shouldn't see brushing with a 70,000 platelet count. I would still consider trauma.

Edited by tbhounds