Tk Depth Charge (July 14, 2005 - November 27, 2015)

TKtheGreyt

So very sorry for the loss of your TK.

Remember the good times.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Tears for your pain, your heartbreak, and for the devastation of such a sudden loss. But what a lovely gentleman he must have been, wanting to stay as long as he could with the people he loved the best.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious TK.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so very sorry. TK may have had to wait a while, but he ended up where he belonged. It's devastating that he had to leave much much too soon.

Godspeed TK.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.

Run free TK, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest PiagetsMom

Even though you know in your heart that you are making the right decision, it doesn't make your heart hurt any the less. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your most special TK :grouphug

• 2 months later...

DP

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Lwhitman57

I'm so sorry to hear this. Rest well Miz Marty and hugs to your family.

Thank you. I was so sorry to hear about TK, too. I recalled that you and I had chatted a couple of times about our littermate greys, so I wanted to look you up to let you know about Miz Maudie (our name for her). That's when I came across this post about your TK.

Miz Maudie developed a slight limp in early January. She had a bit of arthritis, plus she'd always been quite boisterous, so I was hoping it was just a bit of arthritis pain or a slight injury from racing to the treat jar. But the limp persisted so we had it checked out, and our worst fears were confirmed - it was osteo. The x-ray indicated it was in the upper part of her front right leg.

Other than doing pain management, our only option was amputation followed up by chemo. We opted against that due to her age, plus the cancer is pretty much guaranteed to return (the average is only a year). We felt that would be too much to put her through for the *possibility* of some extra time.

She lasted only four weeks after her diagnosis. For the most part though, it was a really good four weeks. She was her happy, goofy, treat-obsessed self the majority of the time. Her limp was worsening but we were managing her pain with medication as well as possible. I was concerned about the possibility of a spontaneous break or fracture if the cancer weakened her leg too much. I certainly didn't want her to experience the excruciating pain from something like that, while at the same time, I didn't want to let her go while she was still enjoying life.

As it happened, well, we're not exactly sure what happened - it may have been a type of spontaneous fracture. She was just curled up in her bed last Sunday evening, and she started yelping. She got up on her feet and was not able to use her "bad" leg - she couldn't put any weight on it. Even just half hour before, she seemed all right - she'd had her nightly helping of yogurt and pumpkin, and had consumed it with her usual enthusiasm. She had even licked the empty pumpkin can clean!

Anyway, we really don't know what happened - if just the pressure on her bone as she was lying down caused a fracture or what . . . But we did know she was in pain, and it didn't take long to realize it was time. We could see it in her eyes. We were able to take her to a wonderful emergency vet facility - they were very kind, very gentle with Miz Maudie, and gave us the time we needed to say our good-byes, and of course, we stayed with her until the very end. From the time she had yelped in pain until we were back home without our precious girl, only three hours had passed, so her suffering had not lasted long. I'm grateful for that.

There has been a lot of research on this horrible cancer and I believe they are seeing some results. I'm sure they'll find the answers eventually - it cannot happen too soon. I don't know that there's any hard data, but anecdotally, it seems there's a higher cancer rate for dogs in the Dodgem By Design line. I haven't located any of the other litter-mates. It would be interesting to know how they've fared since our two were both lost to cancer at roughly the same age. I relayed TK's info to Shelley Lake - she's a greyhound-specialty vet who has been keeping data on greyhounds with cancer for many years.

I didn't intend this to be so long . . . Again, so sorry to hear about TK. Wonder if brother and sister will meet up on the other side . . .