Using Tens On A Dog?

Has anyone ever used a TENs unit on a dog to relieve pain? I am in PT and it reminded me that I wanted to get a unit for at home, which then made me wonder if I could use it on Zuri. I know there could be a bit of a tricky aspect to getting the dog comfortable with it at first, but I'm thinking the bigger problem is fur. You probably need to have the pads attached to bare skin, yes?

If anyone has used one successfully I'd love to hear about it!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Definitely need bare skin for best coverage. I used one for years before I had the Spinal Cord Stiulator Implant.

The bigger issue I see is that the stimulation changes dramatically depending on body positioning. A dog is not going to sit still, and the stimulation could be too powerful if they change to a bad position. Mine would actually make my legs jump if I fell asleep with it on and rolled over. I would wake up at times with my whole body jumping like I was being electrocuted until I could get it turned down.

That being said, I did find a video from a vet practice using TENS.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Jen, when Mandy was doing PT, her therapist used TENS and had showed me how to do it on her. Mandy, being the fuss-budget, wasn't thrilled, so I didn't do it as frequently as I should have. I would suggest having a PT show you exactly how/where to place the leads as they were a little different from how I use the TENS on myself. The settings were also a little lower than what I used on myself.

I used Carol Wasmucky of PetRehab, she was awesome. In fact, she emailed me recently with some questions because she just accepted a patient with corns and remembered Mandy's corn issues. She really goes the extra mile for her patients.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Our Sam had spinal stenosis. We decided on holistic treatment. We found a Vet, who specializes in holistic care. She used manipulation and laser and it helped Sam a lot. We took him once a week to start, reduced it to once a month, then once every 3 months. You might try a holistic vet

I've used tens myself for years. Tens really needs bare skin to stick the pads. I don't see how you could use tens on a hairy dog

Since Doodles collapse last Dec I've been taking her for cold laser therapy with acupuncture as needed. The cold laser has been a godsend for her. We were stretching out the treatments to see how far we could go between them, for Doodles, it's every three weeks. It's only $25 and when I've hit her deductible HP reimburses $22.50, so I'm paying $2.50 for each session!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Turbo used to get TENS at VOSM. Do you have a copy of COTRRG? If I recall correctly, there's a whole section on using TENS there.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Our rehab vet uses TENS. I haven't need it for Kili yet, so I haven't seen it performed, but I know it's a viable option.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Turbo used to get TENS at VOSM. Do you have a copy of COTRRG? If I recall correctly, there's a whole section on using TENS there.

There sure is! How do you have the entire contents of that book inside your head? :P I need to remember to look in there more frequently. Interestingly we just came back from the vet and I had her look at his eyes as I've suspected his vision is going. She confirmed that he does have some lens thickening, worse in his left eye. COTRRG claims this is from poor circulation and indicates a heart condition. He has no other obvious signs of one, but I guess I will have the vet check that out next time we are there.

We have a follow-up with Dr. C in one week so I'll to ask about the TENs while we're there. Promising that Turbo had it done there so hopefully Dr. C can tell me if it would help Z. COTRRG seems to indicate that perhaps I could do it without shaving him using a conductor gel. I'd have to hold the patches on him I think, but they're not recommending you leave it on for long.

Our Sam had spinal stenosis. We decided on holistic treatment. We found a Vet, who specializes in holistic care. She used manipulation and laser and it helped Sam a lot. We took him once a week to start, reduced it to once a month, then once every 3 months. You might try a holistic vet

I've used tens myself for years. Tens really needs bare skin to stick the pads. I don't see how you could use tens on a hairy dog

Since Doodles collapse last Dec I've been taking her for cold laser therapy with acupuncture as needed. The cold laser has been a godsend for her. We were stretching out the treatments to see how far we could go between them, for Doodles, it's every three weeks. It's only $25 and when I've hit her deductible HP reimburses $22.50, so I'm paying $2.50 for each session!

We have a great vet. Zuri sees her for acupuncture monthly and cold laser therapy every other week. We just got back from our monthly combo of both. I only wish ours was that inexpensive! VPI doesn't cover the treatments. We pay $61 for each acupuncture treatment. I don't even know what the cold laser costs - we buy packages of 8 in advance, but I think it comes out to thirty-something a treatment.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our rehab vet uses TENS. I haven't need it for Kili yet, so I haven't seen it performed, but I know it's a viable option.

How can he "connect" ir. Would he have to shave the area? Even with stubble the pads don't stick well. I've got 3 tens machines, and don't have any dogs that need it now, but it would be nice to know if needed in the future.

There sure is! How do you have the entire contents of that book inside your head? :P I need to remember to look in there more frequently. Interestingly we just came back from the vet and I had her look at his eyes as I've suspected his vision is going. She confirmed that he does have some lens thickening, worse in his left eye. COTRRG claims this is from poor circulation and indicates a heart condition. He has no other obvious signs of one, but I guess I will have the vet check that out next time we are there.

We have a follow-up with Dr. C in one week so I'll to ask about the TENs while we're there. Promising that Turbo had it done there so hopefully Dr. C can tell me if it would help Z. COTRRG seems to indicate that perhaps I could do it without shaving him using a conductor gel. I'd have to hold the patches on him I think, but they're not recommending you leave it on for long.

Well, I hope I'm remembering correctly about him getting it at VOSM and I'm not talking out my ass. :lol He had *a lot* of treatments when he went. I know he got ultrasound, massage, acupuncture, and I really think TENS (because I had that myself for shoulder PT). But since you're going there anyway, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask :D

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Appt is tomorrow, I'll report back. I was just looking at units on Amazon again, but figured I'll wait to order until I see what they say. I want one for myself regardless.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Jana said:

What is COTRRG? I'm looking for the information for using TENS on my dog.

Care of the Racing Greyhound. You should be able to get it from the NGA.

I've used a TENS clicker pen before but it can make them twitch as the power isn't variable; it gets around the fur problem if the dog trusts you though. Maybe look up the canine acupressure points and just use your fingers?