Crea Level

Cooper's recent Wellness workup resulted in a call from the vet recommending a recheck in a month of the CREA level. It is 1.9; in Sept. during a dental workup it was 1.8 and in 2014 it was 1.7. The vet said it could be the result of dehydration, all the other levels were "perfect." I will, of course bring her back for the recheck but in the meantime should I believe him and not worry? She will be 6 in January.

I would ask your vet if the recent blood work had an SDMA level and if so, whether it was normal. It's normal for greyhounds to have slightly elevated Creatinine, but I also think it's wise not to ignore changes in values over time. A month seems kind of soon to recheck, but if you haven't gotten an SDMA value you could rerun and make sure to include that. If you have and it's also normal I'm not sure I'd worry about that Creatinine at all.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

FYI--the smda result can be high normal or just above the normal reference range in ghs.

See #20

https://www.idexx.com/files/small-animal-health/solutions/articles/sdma-faqs.pdf#page5

That's an awesome FAQ, thanks!

To the OP, it's a pretty new test. Might not be included on pre-dental blood work depending on what your vet runs, but it's now included automatically in my full blood panels through Idexx. Its best to ask your vet though as I believe they can tweak their standard profiles to suit them.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I called my vet who said it is a relatively new test and is not included in the standard blood values. He didn't know the extra cost, either, but apparently there is one. I gather he isn't called upon to do it often. I'll know more when I go back on Dec. 21 for another bloodtest.

• 2 weeks later...

Those creatinine levels could be completely normal for a greyhound. I would check a specific gravity on a first morning urine sample, and if her urine is well concentrated, the creatinine is probably nothing to worry about.

SDMA is a new test that is only offered through IDEXX. Right now, it is an extra test that is included at no extra charge on all of IDEXX chemistry panels. If your vet using another lab, they won't have access to this test.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

And if they do use IDEXX but ran the blood in house, they can send blood to the lab to run an SDMA at no charge, as long as they send the in-house lab results as "proof" that a profile was run.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Rogersmom

My Roger's creatine has risen from 3.6 on 10/23/15 to 4.1 on November 23. We just did an abdominal ultra sound. It showed that his kidneys are swollen. His blood pressure was 210 but that may have bee a result of the sterile urine catch and having the ultra sound. We are waiting results of other tests for a diagnosis but the vet is not optimistic. She thinks it may be an auto immune disease that is attacking his kidneys. I hope it is just something simple that a pill can stop and reverse. You dogs values look great. My vet feels that Rogers was the result of getting lepto even though he was inoculated annually for this.