Housebroken? Not Any More!

Guest Brewsterfamily

FYI, Zylkene isn't a medication, it's a neutraceutical like the l-theanine I recommended. Its derived from casein, which is in milk. I've never used it personally and the behaviorists I work with also don't use it because they feel there are better, and cheaper options. I'm not saying don't use it, but you might add l-theanine regardless and if you don't see significant improvement or especially if things start to worsen, ask about real medication. I can't ethically recommend a specific medication, but I'm talking about things like Prozac and Trazodone.

With that out of the way, glad to hear another positive update. :) And good for you for making changes even though it's tough. You deserve a glass (or two) of Wine. ;)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Brewsterfamily

FYI, Zylkene isn't a medication, it's a neutraceutical like the l-theanine I recommended. Its derived from casein, which is in milk. I've never used it personally and the behaviorists I work with also don't use it because they feel there are better, and cheaper options. I'm not saying don't use it, but you might add l-theanine regardless and if you don't see significant improvement or especially if things start to worsen, ask about real medication. I can't ethically recommend a specific medication, but I'm talking about things like Prozac and Trazodone.

With that out of the way, glad to hear another positive update. :) And good for you for making changes even though it's tough. You deserve a glass (or two) of Wine. ;)

I started him on theanine the day you told me about it, and did not notice anything - good to know about the "medication" We are trying it for a week and then going back for a reevaluation. I'm thinking that she might have put him on something mild to see if it will work and to make sure his liver functions can handle something stronger.

On a side note - I am very impressed with all the positive and helpful responses. This is my first time on any type of forum, and it has really been a good experience! :nod

Guest Scouts_mom

Just to let you know about the OSU program. I don't know too much about it but what I do know is this It was started and run by Dr. Couto, a greyhound and cancer expert. Many people contacted him for second opinions or to treat their hounds directly. He recently retired, but then started his own clinic which also will consult with you for a small fee. OSU may also be continuing with their own program, minus Dr. Couto.

Other people on this site can tell you more.

OSU has a great veterinary program on it's own, with wonderful vets and probably every other specialty you can think of, including behaviorists. What isn't up and running anymore is the greyhound-specific program run by Dr Couto that focused on cancer in greyhounds.

Throughout the years I've had a couple of our regular vets who were OSU grads and they have always been fabulous.

FYI, when we tried Zylkene, we were told it could take two weeks or more to have an effect. This is often the case with neutraceuticals and homeopathic remedies. We also gave it twice a day. Since it's a natural product derived from milk casein, there should be no impact on his liver or any other organs.

Glad to hear things are getting a bit better for you! Kiss that boy goodnight!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just thought I would add (late to this thread) that these greys really can be so deeply *moved* by trauma. our grey slipped and fell once in the kitchen... he did not come back into the kitchen for 6 months! He was fed in there, but we had to move his food out of that room and slowly-slowly inch it back in ( the funniest was the week that the food dish was in, around the corner, but he stood in the dining room and stretched around the door jam to reach his bowl.)

So I think your attempts to calm the morning down and help him make small steps to being comfortable and un-afraid are the best thing you can do... and it will take time!

Best to you

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Our Grey was fine for years,then all of a sudden she started "pooping" in the house. Her mate of many years had died recently. Do you have one or two greys? Once we go another grey, it stopped. It was separation anxiety and the problem stopped. Something is causing your greys distress, Injury? loud noise? Change in food? .