Cushings

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

I know its a long stretch, as its is really hard to diagnose Cushings and even then there isnt 100% accuracy, but I keep thinking Fusion has it. He has almost every symptom including: increased thirst & urination (comes and goes. Sometimes he drinks normally, other times-like currently-he drinks so much and pees enough where he has accidents in the house) increased hunger, skin sores (usually from licking constantly), excessive panting if he gets a little too hot....

Now, we will definitely do all of the tests to confirm or rule this out. I dont know what kind of bill I am going to rack up for all of that- but he needs his teeth done first pretty badly and Ive been saving up for that. I will probably get him in early December for a cleaning and extractions. Will it be okay to just wait until after the new year to start the process in finding out if he has Cushings, or is it more of an urgent thing?

Also, if any of your dogs have it-any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Guest Lygracilux

You really only need to run bloodwork (ACTH stim or low dose dexamethasone test)- or run a urine cortisol text. Not very expensive to do so.

Really I red online there are like 3 bloodworks t odo, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc.

When I go in to have his bloodwork taken before the dental I will bring it up, thats all I can do for now (:

You can just start with a simple baseline cortisol test. Sometimes those can produce inaccurate results if your dog gets really anxious at the clinic (stress will elevate the body's cortisol level) so, running the urine test may be more accurate. You can collect the urine at home. No need to run a ton of diagnositics until you start with the basics.

I agree with the simple ACTH blood test. Only reason for the very expensive testing would be to determine the origin of the cushings. You can start treatment without taking those steps. Get the simple test done first and take it from there.