Sign in to follow this  
NeylasMom

Traction For Hardwood Stairs

Any suggestions for something I could lay down on hardwood stairs to provide traction that is 1) very inexpensive and 2) completely removable/wouldn't damage the stairs?

I'm staying in a house over Christmas that has hardwood stairs. I won't know until I get there (no photos or anything), but I suspect Zuri is going to have difficulty with them. Worst case he will sleep in the living room on the level below us, but I was hoping maybe I'd be able to come up with a solution so he can come up with us.

Also probably needs to be something I can get easily because I'll want to see the stairs before I buy anything. That's not too much to ask, is it? :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How about some boots that have a little extra grip? Good for outdoors in bad weather, and less slippery on the stairs.

There's also a traction spray made for wood and vinyl floors if the owner doesn't have a problem with you using it. http://www.amazon.com/Slippery-Vinyl-Wood-Floor-Spray/dp/B004ZERL4K

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

I think anything that will be secure enough to walk on will also be hard to get up later. Our stair rugs have been on for more than 20 years!

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Another option is to buy indoor/outdoor runner rug material (by the foot) from a home store's commercial size roll.

Then cut the material needed for each stair, and use a wide removable tape (maybe extra wide painter's tape or masking tape, etc.) to secure the perimeter of each tread.

If you get rug material designed with channels, ensure the channels can be placed horizontally on each step for safer paw gripping, otherwise hounds' nails can slide off too easily.

Here's one option: http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Gray-26-in-x-Your-Choice-Length-Track-Runner-1000275/100199619

If the house happens to be associated with a rental management firm, perhaps they would email photos of the steps.

Hopefully, the stairs have closed risers.

You could use stair treads ...

http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/1BB3E162-7AC2-42AA-9162-11292FC36FB9/productID/83602A12-4352-4801-9893-B54892D3B00B

or

http://www.freshfinds.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/ECFA7C53-0152-4D45-B98B-247EC026DDC7/productID/2F8EE3F6-08E3-4101-9A81-14F475208653

My friend used these (or the rug-by-the-yard equivalent) in her mom's home. I believe she added to 2 small flat thumbtacks on the inner edge (near the step) as a precaution (put them in close to the tread and the small holes that remain should not be noticeable), but you could use these grippers instead:

http://kitchen-home.freshfinds.com/search?p=Q&asug=&w=ruggies

good luck!

Edited by juliemac

you can get cheap stair treads at Home Depot, can probably return them if they don't work. You may need some rug tape on the backing to keep it in place. I did this when I had my bathroom redone and I stayed at my friend's home with hardwood stairs. Good luck

I have the treads from Improvements and like them. They would be expensive for a one time only use though.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

We used these for several years, and they wash up great. Completely removable but are nicely non-skid.

When I had this situation when visiting my parents' old house, I bought a small area rug rubber grippy mat and a couple of cheap carpet runners and cut them to size for the stair tread. Put the grippy material down first, then the carpet piece. Worked for four hounds for a few days of only using the stairs to go to bed. I'd give you mine, but I just cleaned out my closet and tossed them out not too long ago, of course... :P

Deanna with galgo Willow and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19, and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

When I had this situation when visiting my parents' old house, I bought a small area rug rubber grippy mat and a couple of cheap carpet runners and cut them to size for the stair tread. Put the grippy material down first, then the carpet piece. Worked for four hounds for a few days of only using the stairs to go to bed. I'd give you mine, but I just cleaned out my closet and tossed them out not too long ago, of course... :P

Darnit. :P

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I think we'll be able to work something out from something here.

Actually I'm wondering, what if I put down strips of just the non-slip rubber things you put under rugs? Or those similarly textured shelf liners that come in rolls. I feel like if I find the right kind, one that's fairly sticky that might be enough to make him feel like he has good footing???

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Actually I'm wondering, what if I put down strips of just the non-slip rubber things you put under rugs? Or those similarly textured shelf liners that come in rolls. I feel like if I find the right kind, one that's fairly sticky that might be enough to make him feel like he has good footing???

I don't think that material would hold up to foot traffic ... but might work if placed underneath something (you may have shredded polyfoam when you leave, though, which might also stick to the varnish on the steps).

good luck!!

Actually I'm wondering, what if I put down strips of just the non-slip rubber things you put under rugs? I feel like if I find the right kind, one that's fairly sticky that might be enough to make him feel like he has good footing???

I've used rubber rug gripper mats (from Home Depot) temporarily on limited small areas of flat, hardwood floor surfaces for hounds recovering from leg injuries. Those mats are also placed under all our runner rugs. Our gripper mats don't have any glue-like sticky substance that would damage wood finishes, but they would definitely need to be taped along the perimeter with a wide, heavy duty, removable tape. (Perhaps call a carpet specialty company for safest removable tape recommendations.) If you try cheap gripper mat material, place the material on a hard floor at home for the hounds to practice walking across first. The other big downside to that material is a hound's nails could potentially get caught up in that material while maneuvering up/down hardwood stairs. No way would I even attempt using only that material if the stairs have open risers, which are already extremely scary to hounds and very dangerous. The vet visit savings could be used on more secure indoor/outdoor carpet runner material. Consider slickness of whatever you use in case of rainy weather/wet paws too.

The stairs won't be open. These are I believe standard indoor stairs from a main level to an upper level, the hardwood is the only issue, for only one dog. Feet will also definitely not be wet. We just need to get up each night for bed and down each morning for the day. I will also plan to have a harness on him for safety.

i was going to mention the non-skid gripper for under carpets but i thought no one would like the look. a good friend used it in her loft for her aged borzoi when he was having mobility problems. she purchased it at bed bath and beyond. those 20% coupons are great. the gridded mats have more stick than the rubber like sheeting.

i was going to mention the non-skid gripper for under carpets but i thought no one would like the look. a good friend used it in her loft for her aged borzoi when he was having mobility problems. she purchased it at bed bath and beyond. those 20% coupons are great. the gridded mats have more stick than the rubber like sheeting.

It's only temporary for this week I'm in the house and I won't be having guests other than my mom so looks are definitely not a concern. Happy to hear someone used this successfully for their own dog. I think it may be my cheapest option if I can find the right one. It's just finding one that sticks well as that can vary drastically.

It's only temporary for this week I'm in the house and I won't be having guests other than my mom so looks are definitely not a concern. Happy to hear someone used this successfully for their own dog. I think it may be my cheapest option if I can find the right one. It's just finding one that sticks well as that can vary drastically.

Harbor Freight sells rolls of the same material as a liner material for tool boxes, pretty cheap there. Not sure if it will be as wide as you need, but it might be work a look. A couple of them tape togethr would make a long runner easily. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-72-inch-mesh-nonslip-drawer-liner-67055.html

I use this same stuff in my van to keep things that I'm hauling from sliding around on the carpet when the van is moving. Everything stays put right where I leave it, even if I make a hard stop.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

When we put in the wood stairs we realized rather quickly that a runner was needed. It was ordered but to keep everyone from slipping for the couple weeks until it came in I took one of the sticky rubber gripper mesh things from under the large throw rug in the family room. I cut it in half (leaving two long strips just a bit narrower than the steps) and used blue painters tape to tape it directly to the wood on the steps. The tape only held a few days at a time, but that was OK as it was just a temporary fix. The tape came up great with no damage to the wood and the rubber mat kept everyone safe until the runner arrived and was installed.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

The other thing I did was put the runners down at my house (on top of my carpeted stairs) before I had to use them to help Jack get used to them ahead of time.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bungalow-flooring-hansen-stripe-23-inch-x-60-inch-microfibre-neoprene-runner/1016877689?skuId=16877689&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_tablelinens_&adpos=1o2&creative=43742636269&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4LCyBRCY0N7Oy-mSgNIBEiQAyg39tv8dm_0HpmGnknC_dtLpnkkb5I2u7GydiGdwide2NkIaAs8w8P8HAQ

i have these, they are fantastic and a couple of them can be used on the stairs, just tape the edges down and roll it out. i use it on the leather car seat, never slips and protects the seat. washes really well and you can eventually use it as a runner in your home- kitchen or where ever you don't have carpeting.